Discussion Forums - Contemporary Fiction

Topic: 2012 Contemporary Lit. Challenge: categories & lists

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 6/17/2012 8:11 PM ET

Bump.  Hello.  It is almost july....eeek

Date Posted: 7/1/2012 9:57 AM ET

Hey everyone, have we lost a couple?  Updated my list.  How about you?

Date Posted: 7/1/2012 10:52 AM ET

I will give this a shot too,  Thanks Carole with an E

Categories:

1. Other voices: a work that has been translated into English:
  2. Back to the garden: a work having to do with gardens, the land or the environment: Winter Garden Author: Kristin Hannah and Animal Dreams Author: Barbara Kingsolver
  3. Brave new world: a work in which the “world” is other than your own (could be set on a different planet, a foreign country, a different time or place from your own): The Samurai's Garden  Author: Gail Tsukiyama
  4. Crabgrass frontier: a work set in suburbia: The Geometry of Sisters Author: Luanne Rice
  5. Out of the mouths of babes: a work told from a non-adult point of view: A Dog's Purpose  Author: W. Bruce Cameron
  6. Of another mind: a work that centers around mental disorder:The Butterfly House  Author: Marcia Preston  and The Double Bind  Author: Chris Bohjalian  and Mrs. Kimble  Author: Jennifer Haigh  and Left Neglected  Author: Lisa Genova and Still Missing Author: Chevy Stevens  and The First Day of the Rest of My Life  Author: Cathy Lamb
  7. Portrait of the artist: a work about a member of the creative class: Fiber & Brimstone (Scrapbooking Mysteries, Bk 8)
    Author: Laura Childs
  8. The gang’s all here: a work about friends, family or community (including the workplace):How High the Moon
    Author: Sandra Kring and Then Came You Author: Jennifer Weiner
  9. One word says it all: a work with a one-word title (but will accept 2 words such as "The Infinities"): 11/22/63  Author: Stephen King  and   Honolulu  Author: Alan Brennert and Bloodroot  Author: Amy Green   and The NotAuthor: Angela Elwell Hunt  and Moloka'i  Author: Alan Brennert and Midwives  Author: Chris Bohjalian and Bossypants  Author: Tina Fey and The Historian Author: Elizabeth Kostova
  10. Road trip: a work that has to do with a literal or spiritual journey: Elvis Takes a Back Seat  Author: Leanna Ellis
  11. Thou shalt not kill: a work in which a character does just that (for example, a mystery – but doesn’t have to be a mystery): HECK most of my books are mysteries. These Things Hidden Author: Heather Gudenkauf
  12. In the Mix: a work that mixes genres, interweaves stories, or is told from more than one point of view:Jane Bites Back
    Author: Michael Thomas Ford   and   The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, Bk 1)  Author: Jasper Fforde
  13. 2011 Redux: a work from your favorite category in the 2011 challenge:
  • work/author you keep hearing about but haven't yet read:
  • work made into a film Moloka'i
    Author: Alan Brennert and We Bought a Zoo: Author: Benjamin Mee
  • work by a contemporary author that takes place in another century:
  •  major literary
  • prize winner
  • contemporary political issue: (terrorism, immigration, etc):

*Three's Company (Bonus or "opt out" category): Read 3 works with something in common -- either to complete the "Super Challenge" or to replace one of the above categories.

Last Edited on: 7/12/12 10:58 PM ET - Total times edited: 10
Date Posted: 7/1/2012 11:39 AM ET

I might have a hard time finding a book on my TBR for the Translated book.   So that might be my omitted one.   I dont need to aquire more books.  

Date Posted: 9/24/2012 6:32 PM ET

Updated my list. 

If you need a read for either Gangs All Here, or In The Mix, I highly recommend A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick.

Date Posted: 10/22/2012 7:00 PM ET

Wahoo, only two more books to go to complete the super challenge!!  Hows everyone doing?

Date Posted: 11/28/2012 6:31 PM ET

I just finished this book:   The Dark Side of Heaven by Tamar Myers.  The DSofH and Ordinary Wolves are very different books about the same topic.  In the first an Amish woman leaves the shelter of her Amish clan to live in the outside world.  In Ordinary Wolves a white boy who has grown up among the Eskimo in a remote village of Alaska leaves that sheltered and clannish world to live in the big modern city of Fairbanks.  Both of these young people have no jaded parts to themselves that filter the grittiness of modern life.  Even the English language is not the same for either of them as for the people in the outside world.  This difference of language and meaning was fascinating in both books. Neither book is easy to read.  Neither book has really nice people in it.  Both books were 4.5 star, can't put downers.

Date Posted: 12/15/2012 10:47 AM ET

I just finished the challenge by reading a translated book:    Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End by Manel Loureiro   I didn't realize it was translated until I was almost finished.  I don't know why but this catagory is always hard for me.  All of the other catagories I can just read as I please and usually fill the space.  Anyway, another good Zombie thriller from Spain.  And I am done just in the nick.

Date Posted: 12/16/2012 6:43 AM ET

I'm finishing up the last two books for this year's super challenge. 

One is Elyn Aviva's The Journey, which focuses on a woman's (endless) search for a holy grail (of sorts). TEDIOUS.

The other is Lives Like Loaded Guns by Lyndall Gordon, which deals with the controversial life of Emily Dickinson (and its aftermath). It is absolutely fascinating and I highly recommend it to anyone who savors an excellent literary biography.

Rose

Date Posted: 6/30/2013 8:55 AM ET

Oops, wrong year!  Look at the 2013 thread.

Last Edited on: 6/30/13 8:56 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Mary (mepom) -
Date Posted: 6/30/2013 11:43 PM ET
Page: