Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - History

Topic: 2012 History Non Fiction Challenge ***List Thread***

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
catscritch avatar
Date Posted: 2/11/2012 10:45 PM ET

This is a great method to expand my horizons. I'm in for all 12.

1. Local Lore: Read a non-fiction book dealing with the history of your area (Houston, Texas)  Sam Houston, - James L. Haley 3-08-12

2. Award Winning: Read a non-fiction history book that has won an award (any award will do)Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time   -  3/12/12  http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2011/05/dont_build_schools_in_afghanistan.html )

3. Over There: Read a non-fiction book dealing with World War I or World War II  Unknown Soldiers The Story of the Missing of the First World War- Neil Hanson  2-10-12

4. Uncle Sam: Read a non-fiction book dealing with America's political history (could be government, biography, local etc) American Creation Triumphs and Tragedies at the Founding of the Republic, Joseph J. Ellis  2-23-12 (Did not care for this author and thought Infamous Scribblers seemed to cover the same ground with more gusto)

5. Natural Force: Read a non-fiction book about a natural disaster Krakatoa: Simon Winchester 3-20-12

6. Life and Times: Read a biography Royal Survivor The Life of Charles II: Stephen Coote 2-26-12

7. To War: Read a non-fiction book dealing with a war/battle  A Terrible Glory Custer and theLittle Bighorn - the Last Great Battle of the American WestJames Donovan  2-5-12 

8. To Sea: Read a non-fiction book dealing with water (navy, local lore, regional, etc) Caliban's Shore: The Wreck of the Grosvenor and the Strange Fate of Her Survivors- Stephen Taylor   2-10- 2012

9. Pride and Prejudice: Read a non-fiction dealing with minorities Trent 1475 : Stories of a Ritual Murder Trial -  R. Hsia 3-3-12

10. Newby: Read a non-fiction book by a new-to-you author Blood & Thunder, the Epic Story of Kit Carson and the Conquest of the American West: Hampton Sides - 2-21-12

11: Charity: Read a non-fiction book dealing with humanitarian events (for an idea is a good link http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/humanitarian) A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier  Author:Ishmael Beah - 3-17-12

12: The World At Large: Read a non-fiction book that takes place in a country other than USA, or UK. The Last Expedition Stanley's Mad Journey Through the Congo Daniel Liebowitz, Charles Pearson  1-16-12

DONE! And what a great experience. Plus it helped me clear off several books that had been patiently waiting me for some time now.  Thank you for creating the list.  It was a lot of fun matching up the book to the category.

Cat

Last Edited on: 3/20/12 11:19 AM ET - Total times edited: 12
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 2/19/2012 8:33 AM ET

Here are the categories:  Light - 6; 11 total read to date; Full- 12

1. Local Lore: Read a non-fiction book dealing with the history of your area (city, state, region), Prairie Son by Dennis M. ClausenCompleted Feb. 10, 2012, 3 stars

2. Award Winning: Read a non-fiction history book that has won an award (any award will do)Night by Elie Wiesel, completed Sept. 23, 2012.

3. Over There: Read a non-fiction book dealing with World War I or World War IIThe Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackermann, Completed August 21, 2012, 5 stars

4. Uncle Sam: Read a non-fiction book dealing with America's political history (could be government, biography, local etc),  Lament for the Molly Maguires by Arthur H. Lewis, 4 stars

5. Natural Force: Read a non-fiction book about a natural disasterThe Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl, completed  6/11/2012, 4 stars

6. Life and Times: Read a biographyCatherine the Great:  Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie, completed 3/11/2012, 4 stars

7. To War: Read a non-fiction book dealing with a war/battle:  April Morning by Howard Fast, battle of Lexington, 8/15/2012, 4 stars 

8. To Sea: Read a non-fiction book dealing with water (navy, local lore, regional, etc):  Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (my birthday book to me this year).

9. Pride and Prejudice: Read a non-fiction dealing with minorities.  The Last Report of the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich, 8/25/2012, 5 stars.

10. Newby: Read a non-fiction book by a new to you author:   Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene, more likely historical fiction for the YA genre, 3 stars. 

11: Charity: Read a non-fiction book dealing with humanitarian events (for an idea is a good linkhttp://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/humanitarian):  King Peggy by Peggielene Bartels and Eleanor Herman, 3 stars

12: The World At Large: Read a non-fiction book that takes place in a country other than USA, or UK:   Completed 11/18/2012,  People of the Deer by Farley Mowat, 4 stars

Last Edited on: 4/7/13 10:39 AM ET - Total times edited: 72
chimchiminee avatar
Subject: May be too late to join challenge but...
Date Posted: 5/23/2012 9:38 AM ET

I would like to post some suggestions.  I took a history course last semester that required reading certain books that I found worthwhile.

Will also list history books I read this year and keep checking back for ideas.  I've already found some books here that I want to find :)

catscritch avatar
Date Posted: 5/23/2012 9:48 AM ET

Although I read 12 books for the categories, I'm not sure I would recommend each of them. Could we all take a moment to indicate which are really worth the read and those that weren't really up to par?  A nice little 1 to 5 star rating system?  I've found that some topics I'm truly interested in were not very well written in the specific book I picked. So I'd love to know how everyone felt about the books they completed.

Or perhaps a complete listing of all the books that we could each rate (whether we read during the challenge or before) so that we can better select our next choices?

chimchiminee avatar
Subject: Suggestions
Date Posted: 5/23/2012 10:42 AM ET

1. Local lore - The Angels of Lockart by Thomas Wiley - haunting medical mystery based on a true family that lost seven babies in turn-of-the-century rural south

Wicked River: The Ms River when it last ran wild by Lee Sandlin - before reading this, all I knew about the Ms came from Mark Twain.  I got this from the library and liked it so well I'm planning to buy it.

The Sabbath in Puritan New England by Alice Morse Earle - not my "local" but someone from New England could claim it.  It wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but it fit well with my interest in Colonial America.

2. Award winning

3. Over There - In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson - good read

4. Uncle Sam - Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard - another book I'll describe as "haunting" - story of the end of President Garfield, who could have been one of our best presidents

General of the Army: George C Marshall by Ed Cray - too much detail for pleasure reading, but I consider it worthwhile because of all that I learned about one of our underappreciated heroes and the efforts that went into US entry into WW2 and the rebuilding of Europe

Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris - too much detail for pleasure reading but I enjoyed catching the "flavor" of his times and reading about the conflicts and colorful characters surrounding TR

5. Natural Force

6. Biography - The Real Fidel Castro by Leicester Coltman - I had to read several books on Castro for a term paper.  It was interesting to compare the perspective of American authors, Cuban authors and one British author - Coltman. 

7. At Sea - The Loss of the SS Titanic and its Lessons by Lawrence Beesley - account written by a survivor.

8. Minorities - The Gifts of the Jews by Thomas Cahill

9.  New Author

10. Humanitarian

11.  World - Havana Nocturne: How the Mob Owned Cuba and then Lost it to the Revolution by T J English - read as part of my project and found it hard to put down

I recommend all of these about equally except for the Roosevelt and Marshall books.  Those were good books but just more detailed than I really wanted to read.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/13/2012 8:59 AM ET

1. Local Lore: Read a non-fiction book dealing with the history of your area (city, state, region)Prairie Son by Dennis M. ClausenCompleted Feb. 10, 2012, 3 stars

2. Award Winning: Read a non-fiction history book that has won an award (any award will do)Night by Elie Wiesel, completed Sept. 23, 2012.

3. Over There: Read a non-fiction book dealing with World War I or World War IIThe Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackermann, Completed August 21, 2012, 5 stars

4. Uncle Sam: Read a non-fiction book dealing with America's political history (could be government, biography, local etc),  Lament for the Molly Maguires by Arthur H. Lewis, 4 stars, 12/16/2012.

5. Natural Force: Read a non-fiction book about a natural disasterThe Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl, completed  6/11/2012, 4 stars

6. Life and Times: Read a biographyCatherine the Great:  Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie, completed 3/11/2012, 4 stars

7. To War: Read a non-fiction book dealing with a war/battle:  April Morning by Howard Fast, battle of Lexington, 8/15/2012, 4 stars 

8. To Sea: Read a non-fiction book dealing with water (navy, local lore, regional, etc):  Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (my birthday book to me this year), in process - wonderful so far!

9. Pride and Prejudice: Read a non-fiction dealing with minorities.  The Last Report of the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich, 8/25/2012, 5 stars, but I will try  to read my second choice, too: The Black Rose by Tananrive Due (HAVE)

10. Newby: Read a non-fiction book by a new to you author:   Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene, more likely historical fiction for the YA genre, 3 stars. 

11: Charity: Read a non-fiction book dealing with humanitarian events (for an idea is a good linkhttp://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/humanitarian):  King Peggy by Peggielene Bartels and Eleanor Herman, 3 stars

12: The World At Large: Read a non-fiction book that takes place in a country other than USA, or UK:   Completed 11/18/2012,  People of the Deer by Farley Mowat, 4 stars

Last Edited on: 11/2/13 3:25 PM ET - Total times edited: 15
theresahpir avatar
Date Posted: 6/17/2012 12:09 AM ET

This sounds like an AWESOME challenge!  Luckily, I've been tracking my progress on LibraryThing, so I can go back and document what I've read so far this year!

1. Local Lore: Historic Sites of West Virginia: A Pictoral History (2/27)

2. Award Winning: Read a non-fiction history book that has won an award (any award will do)

3. Over There: The Children of Willesden Lane: Beyond the Kindertransport (5/31)

4. Uncle Sam: Read a non-fiction book dealing with America's political history (could be government, biography, local etc)

5. Natural Force: Read a non-fiction book about a natural disaster

6. Life and Times: Read a biography

7. To War: Read a non-fiction book dealing with a war/battle

8. To Sea: Read a non-fiction book dealing with water (navy, local lore, regional, etc)

9. Pride and Prejudice: Read a non-fiction dealing with minorities

10. Newby: Read a non-fiction book by a new to you author

11: Charity: Read a non-fiction book dealing with humanitarian events (for an idea is a good link http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/humanitarian)

12: The World At Large: Read a non-fiction book that takes place in a country other than USA, or UK.

As of 6-17:  Two out of 12 down, with plenty waiting on the bookshelves for me!

Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 12/26/2012 8:22 AM ET

In the same line-of-thought as Mel C... what was the best history book you read for 2012?

I know I read a few that did not fit into this year's reading challenge, but all my favorites ended up on as part of the challenge.

1. In the Heart of the Sea by Heart of the Sea by Nathanial Philbrick Read this way back in January, but thinking about it still gives me goosebumps.

2. Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin A thick read, but moving if you are at all interested in Abraham Lincoln and the polictiansm staffers, and family that were with him on a daily basis.

3. The San Francisco Earthquake by Gordan Thomans and Max Morgan Witts A free book I that surprised me. While the facts presentd in the intro and the closing were dated (written in the lates 1970s), the writing about the 1906 earthquake and devestating fire is modern and harrowing. The point that this could happen again is ever-present.

Last Edited on: 12/26/12 8:26 AM ET - Total times edited: 4
catscritch avatar
Date Posted: 12/26/2012 9:35 AM ET

Local Lore: Read a non-fiction book dealing with the history of your area (Houston, Texas)  Sam Houston, - James L. Haley 3-08-12  This book read like an exciting novel but Sam was a bigger than life (warts and all) character to savor.  I am so glad I took the time to read this highly personal to Texans historical saga!

Lambie avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/15/2013 12:49 PM ET

OK, a few people said they would be interested so here we go. Just like the other challenges you can do a full challenge(12) or a half (light) challenge of any 6 of your choice. Here are the categories:

1. Local Lore: Read a non-fiction book dealing with the history of your area (city, state, region)

2. Award Winning: Read a non-fiction history book that has won an award (any award will do)

3. Over There: Read a non-fiction book dealing with World War I or World War II

4. Uncle Sam: Read a non-fiction book dealing with America's political history (could be government, biography, local etc)

5. Natural Force: Read a non-fiction book about a natural disaster

6. Life and Times: Read a biography

7. To War: Read a non-fiction book dealing with a war/battle

8. To Sea: Read a non-fiction book dealing with water (navy, local lore, regional, etc)

9. Pride and Prejudice: Read a non-fiction dealing with minorities

10. Newby: Read a non-fiction book by a new to you author

11: Charity: Read a non-fiction book dealing with humanitarian events (for an idea is a good link http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/humanitarian)

12: The World At Large: Read a non-fiction book that takes place in a country other than USA, or UK.

If anyone needs any suggestions or clarification please let me know. Most of them are open to interpretation.smiley

Have Fun!! 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/4/2013 9:34 PM ET

I just noticed this.  Do you mind if I post this in a new thread for 2013?

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/16/2013 10:21 PM ET

I just noticed it too!  I would probably have time for the light challenge--Chris, can we get a 2013 List Thread so I'll remember where to find it?  smiley

Diane

chelsea avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/5/2013 7:05 PM ET

Has a 2013 History Challenge been posted?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/6/2013 5:47 PM ET

I would like to see a 2013 thread as well.  I did complete my list last year except for one book that I didn't get around to reading.   Since no one responded to my request to change this thread to incuded 2013, I began one for 2013 so those who want to participate my do so.   The new challenge is much the same as last year except I decided to allow for two non-fiction substitutions because some people like to read more in one category or another. 

Last Edited on: 6/8/13 11:34 AM ET - Total times edited: 25
Page: