Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Contemporary Fiction

Topic: 2013 Challenge...thoughts?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
escapeartistk avatar
Subject: 2013 Challenge...thoughts?
Date Posted: 10/2/2012 1:05 PM ET
Shall we start thinking about this now so there will be plenty of time for book listing-making & swapping? I am happy to set it up again with people's input...or if someone else would like to take over entirely that's fine too. Either way works for me.
craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/3/2012 9:16 AM ET

Go for it Kristin, you do a great job!  Your category titles are so inventive, makes it more fun.

Cosmina avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/3/2012 12:27 PM ET

Skip the Translated into English catagory.  It is my fondest wish for next years challenge.  How about a book with an animal as the main character instead.

ETA correct spelling.

Last Edited on: 10/3/12 10:02 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
escapeartistk avatar
Date Posted: 10/3/2012 2:31 PM ET

Actually, Janet gets the creativity credit. I just made the list. :-)

I had the same thought re: the "animals" character (so I think it's a great idea-lol). Maybe we should expand it to include an animal as the subject, though, to accommodate everyone's tastes...?

I really like the "redux" category & the 3-of-a-kind/replacement option...any seconds (or disagreements)?

Last Edited on: 10/3/12 3:14 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/3/2012 3:51 PM ET

I also like the "redux" category and the 3-of-a-kind replacement option: they provided me with some great reading this year!

I LOVE the "Translated into English" category.

I could do without the "Brave New World" type of category. Also not eager to read about animals.

Rose

Last Edited on: 10/3/12 3:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/3/2012 4:03 PM ET

In the past I've done this challenge, but not in 2012, and I look forward to participating in 2013. Translated into English is one of my favorite categories, and I always enjoy reading different genres of fiction that I wouldn't ordinarily. But my personal least favorites are horror/ fantasy / sci fi, so I usually skip those. Looking forward to the next year's list, and to seeing what everyone else is going to read / recommend.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/3/2012 9:16 PM ET

Most of the categories are fine with me.  I like the animals idea.  Please do not delete fantasy/science fiction.  I'm ambivalent about horror.  Find some fine writing in that description.  So, you see you have your work cut out.  Could go for so many categories and leave out a couple but you essentially did that with the bonus category this year.  I found it fun to locate books in all 2012 categories.

escapeartistk avatar
Subject: see tentative challenge 2013
Date Posted: 10/4/2012 4:37 PM ET

I have posted a tentative challenge list (new thread). Please check it out and give feedback. 

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/4/2012 5:45 PM ET

I liked the translated category, made me read something I might not have otherwise.  I am still working on this year's list.  No matter what the categories, it stretches my reading habits out of the normal stuff.  Plus, it helps me get to the TBR pile, finding books I already have that fit the categories.  Thanks so much for doing it.

If you do the animal category, I highly recommend these two series, both mysteries with a dog as the main character.  The dogs don't talk, they act like super smart dogs, and the stories are mysteries.

Randolph, detective dog

Chet and Bernie series

Last Edited on: 10/4/12 8:41 PM ET - Total times edited: 1