Discussion Forums - Paranormal

Topic: 2014 Paranormal Challenge Discussion

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/23/2014 4:46 PM ET

I finished Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, Bk 7) :: Darynda Jones 

I liked this one better than the last couple. Be interesting to see where they go from here.

Now to figure out where to fit in the challenge

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 12/5/2014 10:06 PM ET

I am reading Fireborn (Souls of Fire, Bk 1) :: Keri Arthur

It is quite good. I have not read a book about a phoenix before.

Date Posted: 12/9/2014 10:42 AM ET

Added a few to my list, including Shattered Souls, Destruction, and Expiration Day.  Enjoyed the first two; Expiration Day was OK.  It took a while to get moving, IMO.  Destruction and Expiration Day were relatively unique story lines, which was nice.

Only six more to go, and already working on two of them.

Date Posted: 12/13/2014 6:19 AM ET

For those still needing books for 2014 or hording for 2015 here's a few Kindle freebie recommendations:

The Wolf Within (Purgatory, Bk 1) by Cynthia Eden

The Dragon King and I (Fairest of them All, Bk 1) by Adrianne Brooks

C791 ( Cyborgs: More than Machines, Bk 1) by Eve Langlais

Date Posted: 12/14/2014 11:46 PM ET

Thanks! I'll read those.

Date Posted: 12/15/2014 2:32 PM ET

AANNDD... finished!  I was home sick this weekend so I got some extra reading done.

I thought it was funny that one of the categories I was worried about next year was Broken Hearted; I didn't know how many books would have a death or break-up in them.  And I wasn't sure how I would know until I read them.  Turns out that the last 3 books I read had deaths in them!  Oh well, I'm sure I can find more for 2015.

Thanks for a great challenge!  Off to some non-paranormal reading for a few weeks.  cheeky

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 12/22/2014 3:51 PM ET

I finished Visions (Cainsville, Bk 2) :: Kelley Armstrong

wow what a great book!! Complex slowly unraveling the plot. I have no idea where the series is going but I want to go for the ride.

Alice

Date Posted: 12/29/2014 7:32 PM ET

Just Made it by the skin of my teeth. Finished my final YA yesterday. Whew!!!

In doing this challenge I learned 2 importantthings

1) That I'm reeeeeeeeally reluctant to step out of my comfort zone.  I wouldn't have read ANY of the books in Days of Yesteryear Which is just plain stupid because they were wonderful.

2) And sometimes I'm toooooo regimented for my own good. Did a really silly thing with "Pleased to meet you" We had plenty of leaway with the category Authors that share our name OR New to us authors. Well I got a noodle up my nose and HAD to fill that category with Authors named Nancy. Which is kinda hard as there aren't many of them. It took till the beginning of the month to get the books for that category and I didn't have enough time to read all 5 so I ended up using 2 new to me authors anyway. picture mental head slap and copious eye rolling.

Last Edited on: 12/29/14 7:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 12/29/2014 7:36 PM ET

Just finished my last YA today. While I managed to fill all the standard categories, I didn't close out the bonus ones. But, if I can crank out 2 more in the next 2 days, I'll have read 150 books for the year, so not too shabby.

Date Posted: 1/1/2015 8:20 AM ET

So ending 2014, I'm definitely NOT a champion. I completed 11 of 20 categories BUT I did have at least one book in each category so I did achieve BRONZE medal status. I started to hit my stride towards the end of the year so hopefully this will keep me motivated for 2015.

My most difficult to complete category was the YA category The Kids are Alright (I only read 1 book in that category) so I know going into the 2015 challenge that one of our categories Teenage Wasteland will be my achilles' heel. Anybody have any suggestions for a good series or author that fits this category?

Last Edited on: 1/1/15 8:43 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 1/1/2015 12:26 PM ET

Since your WL contains books I've read or want I'm going to suggest some YA I've read and liked.

The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare 

The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare (first 3)

Scorched series by Mari Mancusi

The Arcana Chronicles series by Kresley Cole  ( I really don't like end of world stories, but I like her writing)

Truth series by Dawn Cook (Kim Harrison)

Firelight series by Sophie Jordan 

Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson and the OlympiansKane Chronicles, The Heroes of Olympus series  = these are Jr high to high school age in books, but simalar to Harry Potter style action

Hope that helps some what, good luck, Cathy

Date Posted: 1/1/2015 2:27 PM ET

Because some people don't care for YA, Teenage Wasteland is expanded to teens and 20-somethings.

Recommendations:

Demon Trappers series by Jana Oliver

Darkest Powers & Darkness Rising series by Kelley Armstrong

Generation V series by ML Brennan

White Trash Zombie series by Diana Rowland (think Angel is in her 20s)

Drake Chonicles by Alyxandra Harvey

Beautiful Dark series by Jocelyn Davies

Demon Underground series by Parker Blue

Watchers series by Veronica Wolff

Date Posted: 1/1/2015 6:04 PM ET

Thanks, ladies, for the suggestions - I see several series in the above posts by authors that I enjoy...just never tried their YA books. Shame on me!

And I do like that "Teenage Wasteland" age group was expanded to 20-somethings - that will help!

Page: