Jenna: Great job!
Pick any of the themes, specify what you're going to look for (if needed), and read 2-5 books filling that theme.
Themes must be from the at least the specified number of categories but can be at all from different categories if desired.
A theme can be repeated as long as each time you narrow it down to different specialization. For example, if you wanted to use a character's occupation, you could do one set with detective characters and another set with mercenary characters.
Books must be at least 100 pages in length.
You can double count as many books as you have themes. Include The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Vol. 1 (have) and Vol. 2 by M. T. Anderson, The Wee Free Men: The Beginning (Locus Award for Young Adult)
Number of books
Light - Read 15 books in at least 3 themes
Full - Read 30 books in at least 6 themes
Overachiever - Read at least 45 books in 9 themes
Realistic Fiction/Social Issues: We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver, 2/19/2014, 3 stars; Nine Days by Fred Hiatt, 11/20/2014, 4 stars; Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly (grief), 4/3/2014, 4.5 stars;
- Romance: Fallen by Lauren Kate, 1/18/2014; Flat-Out Love by Wendelin Van Draanen, 5 stars
- Fantasy: Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan; Kyle by Fire by Mark Minson, 2/4/2014, 4 stars; The Yanti by Christopher Pike, 4/26/2014, 3 stars; The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan, 6/5/2014, 3 stars; The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan, 7/9/2014, 4 stars.
- Science Fiction: A Million Suns by Beth Revis, 5/13/2014, 3.5 stars; Across the Universe by by Beth Revis, 5/31/2014, 4 stars; These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner, 9/18/2014, 4 stars.
- Mystery/Thriller: Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger, 6/11/2014, 3 stars, A Christmas Promise by Anne Perry, 12/6/2014, 3 stars.
- Classic: The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
- Adventure: Blood on the River James Town 1607 by Elisa Carbone, 7/7/2014, 3.5 stars, Far North by Will Hobbs, 9/15/2014, 4 stars
- Poetry/Free Verse
Graphic: In Odd We Trust, 3/26/2014, 3 stars; Odd Is On Our Side by Dean Koontz, 2/3/2014, 2 stars; Hana-Kimi, Vol. 13, 3 stars; Hana-Kimi, Vol. 16 (Hana-Kimi, #16) by Hisaya Nakajo, 2/28/2014, 3 stars; Wild Ones, Vol. 2 by Kiyo Fujiwara, 4/4/2014, 2 stars .
- LBGT: Running with Scissors by Augisten Burroughs, 4/19/2014, 3 stars
- occupation: Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant (1570 -16-year-old is put into a convent against her will - this is her story)
- appearance/disability/health issue: The Middlesteins by Jane Attenberg (daughter has an increasing weight problem), 9/12/2014, 3 stars; Losing It (ebook); Cress by Melissa Meyer (Thorne is blinded when a satellite crashes to earth), 6/9/2014, 4.5 stars
- particular talent (magic user, musical talent, dancing, can wiggle ears, etc)
- stage in life (MG, High School, College, etc)
- Specific town
- Country (other than the US; doesn't have to be one specific country): Nectar in a Sieve by Kamala Markandaya, (India), 1/31/2014, 3.5 stars; One Bird by
- Specific time period
- Specific war (WWI, Civil war, Revolutionary War, etc): WWII - Anne Frank The Diary of a Young Girl, 2/11/2014, 4 stars; How It Was For Billy Nelson by Jean Ameluxen,2/8/2014, 3 stars
- Specific geographical area (State, southwest, Appalachians, Pacific Northwest, etc)
- Post-apocalyptic, same reason for apocalypse (nuclear warfare, virus, climate change, overpopulation, etc)
- Small towns (general): Young Pioneers by Rose Wilder Lane, 1/16/2014, 3 stars; The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare, 1/28/2014, 3 stars.
- Big cities (general)
- Wartime (general)
- Environment (near oceans, deserts, mountains, forests, etc)
- Post-apocalyptic (general): requiem by Lauren Oliver, 10/12/2014, 4 stars
- Other (Circuses, labyrinths, schools, manor houses, ranches, etc)
Note: For this category, you may use non-YA genre books as required.
- Books inspired by a particular author
- Books that inspired a particular author
- Books based off the same fairy tale/myth
- Chains of inspiration (author a influenced author b, who influenced author c, etc.)
- Books that inspired movies/mini-series/TV shows: One Bird by Kyoko Mori, 1/5/2014, 4 stars
- Books recommended or reviewed by a particular author, blogger, friend, or acquaintance: Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake, 1/1/2014, 4 stars; Etiquette Espionage by Gail Carriger, 6/11/2014, 3 stars.
- Generational saga
- Retrospective (book told from time after action is over)
- Alternates between time periods
- Alternates between viewpoints
- Separate but related stories or viewpoints
- Compiled (omnibus or anthology)
Single author: The Road to Camlann, 2/2/2014, 2 stars; Sword Song, 3/25/2014, 3 stars and The Eagle of the Ninth, 1/22/2014, 3.5 stars, an interesting little tale; The Light Beyond the Forest, by Rosemary Sutcliff, 7/10/2014, 3.5 stars
- Authors of same nationality
- Authors of same ethnicity/race
- Authors in translation
- Non-contemporary authors of same time frame
New-to-you authors: How It Was For Billy Nelson by Jean Ameluxen, 3 stars; We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver, 3 stars; Anne Frank The Diary of a Young Girl, 2/11/2014, 4 stars; Running with Scissors by Augisten Burroughs, 4/19/2014, 3 stars. Reality Boy by A.S. King, 8/22/2014, 3 stars; Jump When Ready by David Pandolfe, 11/10/2014, 3.5 stars.
- Debut Authors
- Winners/Nominees of same awards: Locus Award for Best Young Adult Book Leviathan by Scott westerfield (2010), 9/6/2014, 4 stars; A Hat Full of Stars by Terry Pratchett; The Wee Free Men: The Beginning
- Winners/Nominees of any award from same year
- Winners/Nominees of multiple awards
- Books from authors who won the same career based award
- Books on same published or posted list
- Winners/Nominees of same type of awards (YA awards, LGBT awards, new author awards, etc): Soulless by Gail Carringer (2010 Alex Award); The Good Thief by Hanna Tanti (2009 Alex Award), in process; The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle (2008 Alex Award); Crow Lake by Mary Lawson (2003 Alex Award); Peace Like a River Leif Enger (2002 Alex Award)
- Part of same sub-genre
- First/foundational books in any sub-genres or series
- Published in same year
- Published in same decade: Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (2002), 4/19/2014, 3 stars, The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker (Strangely Beautiful, Bk 1), 6/7/2014, 4 stars, The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker, in process.
- Published by same press or imprint
- Non-fiction related to genre or author
- Oddities (genre books by non-genre authors, non-genre books by genre authors, anthologies by authors who usually write novels, etc)
Last Edited on: 12/21/14 7:54 AM ET - Total times edited: 135