Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: 2016: Disappointments?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: 2016: Disappointments?
Date Posted: 12/26/2016 12:48 PM ET

There were a few books throughout the year that were not as good as I wanted them to be, and/or are books I would recommend only with a warning. I didn't have DNF books this year, but a couple were close.

Disappointing books for me include:

Mademoiselle Chanel, C.W. Gortner - does anyone else find this author a bit inconsistent?

The Wreath, Kristin Lavransdatter - had such high hopes and I didn't care for it at all!! (Maybe it was the translation I was reading, but I'm done w/ this author.)

After Rome, Morgan Llywelyn - the only time this author has let me down.

The Ship of Brides, JoJo Moyes - loved her book about the stolen art; was bitterly disappointed w/ this one. Will proceed w/ caution re: this author in the future.

The Orchardist, Amanda Coplin - would not recommend, at all. Really.

~Kelly

Last Edited on: 12/26/16 12:50 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 12/26/2016 7:02 PM ET

I didn't like The Orchardist either, Kelly.

The book that disappointed me the most was The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead. Perhaps my expectations were too high based on the accolades this book has received. I just didn't care for the mash-up of historical and fantastical elements, which is not to say there isn't beautiful writing and very powerful commentary on slavery and the nature of racism as it existed in the past and reverberates today. A talented author but just not my cup of tea.

Date Posted: 12/27/2016 12:31 PM ET

Fin Gall by James L. Nelson (like a bad episode of The Vikings on the history channel)

The King Without a Kingdom by Maurice Druon (this book made no sense in relation to the previous books of the series)

Oxford: Son of Queen Elizabeth by Paul Strietz (not h/f but had to include it- okay I'll bite that he was Shakespeare and the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Tudor, but he was Christopher Marlowe and he wrote most of the King James Bible????)

Date Posted: 12/27/2016 12:33 PM ET

Yes, Mr. Gortner can be very inconsistent with his writing and sometimes downright mediocre I think.

Date Posted: 12/27/2016 1:08 PM ET

Cheryl, I loved your 'review' of Oxford. I know all I need to know from your one sentence! :)

Date Posted: 12/29/2016 6:35 AM ET

2016 was a bit disappointing in terms of my reading habits. I picked up many books, only to leave them a few pages in.

Fall of Giants by Ken Follett- ditched it after 300+ pages...maybe I'll go back to it...?

Alex Grecian's Scotland Yard series- I've read the first 2, and find his writing appalling, and the characters too basic.

Martyr by Rory Clements- interesting premise ( William Shakespeare's brother investigates murders). Too bad the plot was so underwhelming that I can't even remember what the book was about 😒

Date Posted: 12/29/2016 12:39 PM ET

The only one that comes to mind was The Anchoress by Robin Cadwallader.  Parts of it were good but I was bored with most of it.

Donna say it ain't so about The Underground Railroad!  I have been really looking forward to that one :(

Date Posted: 12/29/2016 2:07 PM ET

Holly, scores of people love The Underground Railroad. I'm definitely in the minority, so give it a go. Just know, that it contains element of fantasy or, I guess you could say, magical realism.