Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: 2016 Mystery / Thriller Challenge

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 5/25/2016 9:19 AM ET

Lori you just go to her wish list and post your book to her.  I do it all the time. S

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 5/25/2016 4:42 PM ET

We are friends and you're thinking of Mail to a Friend.

Date Posted: 5/30/2016 8:55 AM ET

I just finished Til death due us part by Amanda Quick, loved it always enjoy her historic rom/mystery/thrillers.

And I finished Murder on the Yellow brick road by Kaminsky, old but fit a color slot.  Reminds me of an old mickey Spillane mystery, gritty and 1940's.  I also read The  Chinese Nail Murders by Gulik and I was pleasantly surpised that it was a great little book.  Ancient chinese murder mystery (Judge Dee mystery)   Well written with good characters and good twist toward the end. 

Date Posted: 6/5/2016 10:59 AM ET

Just finished 'Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon' by Larry Millett.

I just want to say this book took me much longer than most because I kept putting it down.  I read alot of different authors who take SH and write new books.  I usually like them if it doesn't seem so third party later telling but I just didn't feel like this story (a good one) fit with the Sherlockian style I like maybe since it is in Minnesota.  The first half of the book just seemed to drag on and on but after getting half way through I did really feel like the author got to a place he liked and so did I there was actual action between the characters and you started to get the flavor of Northern Minnesota pine woods.  The author does mix allot of real history in with his storyline but this was obscure history that I wasn't aware of a whole town burning in a fire.  If you can get past the mix of large Railroad tycoon, Minnesota logging town, an insane pyromaniac and a London Detective there are gripping moments and twists that leave you wondering if anyone would survive.  All in all if you can make it through the move from London to northern America and 1/2 way through the book the rest is rather a good mystery.

Date Posted: 6/5/2016 11:43 AM ET

You have patience Susan! I don't think I would have lasted long enough to get to the good part!

I've been reading The Constable's Tale by Donald Smith but it's rather slow going for me. I find myself skipping parts and still not missing any of the story. quite frankly, I'm not enamored of this book at all. Almost done but thinking it's only going to get about 2 stars from me.

Date Posted: 6/5/2016 2:43 PM ET

Jeanne I think I would have pitched the book if it hadn't been for fitting one of the color catagories.  I already have skipped a couple of books that I just couldn't get into, and on the other hand found some that were jewels (who knew). 

Date Posted: 6/24/2016 1:55 PM ET

Finished another for the Around the World bonus! Two more for this and one more for "Clean it up" and I will be done. The Coroner’s Lunch by Colin Cotterill,  Series - Dr. Siri Paiboun #1. Set in 1970’s Laos, shortly after the end of the Vietnam War. Finalist for both the Barry Award for Best First Novel and the Gold Dagger Award. Paiboun is a physician trained in Paris – who is, under the Communist Pathet Lao, appointed chief coroner for lack of other candidates. Working with a barely equipped morgue and almost no staff, Siri is mostly bored. Then several bodies show up in the morgue, each more mysterious than the last. Being of advanced age, Siri feels no pressure to offer the answers the Party wants – and finds a kindred spirit in the police to help him discover the truth. Very good story.

Date Posted: 6/27/2016 5:02 PM ET

I finished Miss Zukas and the Stroke of Death (Miss Zukas, Bk 3) by Jo Dereske

I am not normally a cozy mystery fan, but for some reason this author and her very minor OCD MC took my fancy.  This is book three I think the MC is living in Northern Washington St.  She is a librarian and nearing 40 she is single and in this book her best friend an artist is a suspect in a murder.  I enjoy her writing style and for some reason find her MC interesting.  I would give this a 3star rating just because of the plot and the characters.  There is a plot twist at the end that I think will effect the MC in future books.  Recommend if you like cozies and want a Pacific northwest book.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 6/27/2016 5:12 PM ET

Oh I loved the Miss Zukas series.  I always wished the author would have taken it a bit further but at the end of the series, not giving a thing away she leaves it to you.

Date Posted: 6/27/2016 8:22 PM ET

Geri I think it is weird to like the MC because she is so closed off but I keep reading another of the books and she always surpises me.

Date Posted: 6/27/2016 10:12 PM ET

Got a very late start a couple weeks ago, but I have already got Bronze and am 2/3 of the way to Silver. Also have several books read in the bonus categories. Still concentrating on books that are WL'ed. Just finishing up Dust to Dust by Beverly Connor and will start Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn tonight. 

Date Posted: 7/9/2016 6:52 PM ET

Well I tried read The Child Garden by Catriona McPherson and just couldn't get through it. It dawned on me that I had just read The Child Thief by Dan Smith - great book. 

Finally, I read The Child Thief by Dan Smith which takes place in 1930 in the Ukraine. why did I wait so long? The writing is excellent and oh, the characters are so real .It has heart wrenching moments but then there are the moments of human resilience and empathy.All I can say is "what a book"! I'm giving it 5 stars and I'm thinking about getting his other one titled Red Winter.

Page: