- Classic (published before 1960)
- Contemporary (published in the last 25 years) The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern 6/17 Magic, circus, competition, loved it.
- Award Winner War for the Oaks - Emma Bull 3/11 1987 Locus, Pre-dates Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series, but the same urban faerie feel. Lots of 80's music references. And they still have corded landlines. Phouka is memorable.
- Religion Theme The Curse of Tenth Grave - Darynda Jones 10/14 Well, there are gods in it.
- Political/Court Intrigue Tiassa - Steven Brust 3/7 #13 in Vlad Taltos series, which I like, but you wouldn't start here. 4Stars
- Military The Buried Giant - Kazuo Ishiguro 12/18 Mythopoetic, but the Briton-Saxon wars in Arthurian Britan are referenced. From a time of dragons, ogres, giants, a book of memory lost in the mists and vengeance. Moral questions in mythic disguise. 4.5 stars
- Young Adult/Throwback Written in Red - Anne Bishop 3/1 YAs would enjoy this, and also Bishop fans
- Media Tie In (Book that was made into a TV Show or Movie)
- Written by more than one author Dangerous Women 3 - ed. George R. R. Martin, Gardner Dozois 7/20 Short novellas, my favorites were by Jim Butcher (A Dresden story by Molly) and Joe Abercrombie. Couple of wild west settings...not my type. All strong women heroes.
- Epic (more than 500 pages) A Dance of Dragons - George RR Martin
- Quick Read (less than 200 pages)
- Written by an Author with 3 names The Sharing Knife: Beguilement - Lois McMaster Bujold
- Birthday book-published the year or decade you were born
- Asian Themed
- Mediterranean Inspired (Countries bordering the Mediterranean: Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Morocco etc.)
Last Edited on: 12/17/16 1:13 PM ET - Total times edited: 8