Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: 2017 Cozy Mystery Challenge Discussion Topic

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/5/2017 10:40 AM ET

I must step in.  The Selma Eichler books are a fun series.  The first is Murder Can Kill Your Social Life (Desiree Shapiro, Bk 1)
Author: Selma Eichler

Desiree is an overweight, not young PI in Manhattan.  Would fit several categories I think.  There are 15 books in the series and every title begans with the word Murder, those who are not OCD don't really have to read them in order.  If you need something without a pet, her books, except for two, have food and some symbol of death rather than an animal.   

luvlove avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/5/2017 1:19 PM ET

I have also ordered ebooks before & Amazon tells me I already have it. There's just so many books we just can't be expected to remember them all.

If you decide to get the other books for Dusty Deals mysteries be careful because the box set for 5 books is more expensive than the individual books. The box set for books 1-3 are cheaper even with the free first book.

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/5/2017 7:57 PM ET

Alice I really like that series too. I read Cheddar off Dead for "last in series" in 2016.

And I have Murder Can Kill Your Social Life (Desiree Shapiro, Bk 1)  on my TBR, so that will be a good one to have for this year!

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/6/2017 6:23 AM ET

I finished Cheddar off dead it was good but I think book 1 was better.

I started Iced Under (A Maine Clambake Mystery) :: Barbara Ross. Love this series. Any book from this series would be good for Home Sweet Home category in the challenge. The main character leaves  NYC to return and help family clambake business in Maine.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/6/2017 1:16 PM ET

I've finished Blackberry Crumble and started Pumpkin Roll of Josie S. Kilpack's culinary mysteries.   Yummy books.......I used Blackberry Crumble for the purple or pink category; very obviously purple! and Pumpkin Roll for the no animal category........if I read another no animal category book, I'll move Pumpkin Roll to the bonus category for authors.......I hope to read more of this series this year.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 1/6/2017 1:17 PM ET

I've somewhat gotten my formatting worked out; but not the double spacing.  I looked at my list for last year; it was the same; never got that double spacing out.....oh well.

retiredteacher avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 1/7/2017 6:24 AM ET

I finished We Wish You a Murderous Christmas yesterday. It was great and loved when the culprit was revealed. I was totally off the radar on that one and love when that happens.

Next will be Cancelled by Murder for those teen years category.

Thanks Geri, was hoping to read any of those books out of order.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 1/8/2017 4:43 PM ET

Reading Tapestry of Lies (Weaving, Bk 2) by Carol Ann Martin.  Couldnt fit it into any category so into the bonus category it goes.

retiredteacher avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 1/9/2017 11:00 AM ET

Lynn, it would also fit in the teen years category.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 1/9/2017 1:03 PM ET

Thanks Connie:  I missed that one

quiltpurple avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/11/2017 12:30 PM ET

Just finished Telling Tails (Second Chance Cat) by Sofie Ryan.  Even though Elvis did not take quite as predominate a role as usual, I thought this was an excellent book.  In fact, I gave it 4 1/2 stars.  I can see a romance on the horizon, and not the one that the Angels are working on.  I decided to make my extra category one where a senior character plays a major part of the story because that's a category I have had trouble with in the past.  Of course, this book fit right into that slot.  LOL  Now to figure out what book to pull out next.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/11/2017 12:50 PM ET

Thanks Una, now I know what I'll read next.  cool

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/15/2017 7:54 AM ET

I started a new to me series yesterday Guidebook to Murder (Tourist Trap, Bk 1) :: Lynn Cahoon

It is quite good. Set in California. I love the MC she would much rather be reading than having to take care of her store. Has anyone read the follow on books in this series?

MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 1/15/2017 8:49 AM ET

I have the entire series on my Kindle, Alice. Read them all and enjoyed them.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/15/2017 10:23 AM ET

Me too Alice.  I just follow Mary and what she gets I get.  wink

SierraK avatar
Date Posted: 1/15/2017 10:24 AM ET

Alice,  I've read Guidebook to Murder but not the ones that follow.  I agree, the first one was very good!

quiltpurple avatar
Date Posted: 1/15/2017 10:54 AM ET

Just read Criminal Confections by Colette London.  Debating how many stars to give it.  I am definitely a chocoholic but this was a little much, even for me.  I did find a lot of interesting information and one cookie recipe I am definitely going to try, but I had a hard time really getting into the book and wanting to just sit there and read  ... and let the rest of the world go by.  

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 1/16/2017 3:09 PM ET

I just finished That Old Flame of Mine by J.J Cook (Joyce and Jim Lavene pen name) and I loved it! I do have the other 3 books in my tbr pile. I wonder if they have any children the might pick up some of their series.

Some cozies I find a bit goofy or as Becky said just too "cute". This one, I thought, was interesting and I do love the Smoky Mountains so maybe that helped me like it too :-)

Anyway, I really enjoyed this one.

jannymarie avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/16/2017 3:34 PM ET

Michele I loved that series too!  If my memory serves me right seems each book got better than the one before it.  I had a really hard time getting my hands on them so I had a lot time pass in between each book.  I still have to get the last one read.

quiltpurple avatar
Date Posted: 1/16/2017 5:06 PM ET

Has anyone else noticed how expensive the new books have become?  I received a $50 Amazon card for Christmas and was planning on purchasing about 5 books, but when I check the price of the new books I want, only two are under $10.  The others all run from $18 to $30!  And these are listed as cozies!!!

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 1/16/2017 5:29 PM ET

I hope someone else picks up the series Janice! I would love for it to continue!

Una, yes, I noticed that too.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 1/16/2017 9:17 PM ET

Una,

I noticed more cozies are coming in trade paperback size and some in Hardback all more expensive than mass market paperbacks. So sad

orchid7 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/17/2017 11:33 AM ET

Una- That's one reason why I've started using my Kindle more often, especially for those "CreateSpace" Amazon published books. $2.99 Kindle vs. $15.00 Paperback? Definitely. I love my Kindle because I can make the font as big as I want- some of these PBs have such tiny print! I've also started watching for more used copies on Amazon from vendors I've had good luck with.

My library is a good resource too (although they are still far spottier about getting in new cozies than I would like!) I can get almost any book through InterLibraryLoan, but only if they're over a year old.

NetGalley is also a great resource for reading cozies before they're even released. (Of course again- they are e-book ARC's- "e-galleys".) All you have to do is review what you've read. I actually get emails from publishers all the time offering e-ARC's in exchange for a review, in addition to the ones I receive through NetGalley. I don't even have a blog! (My DH keeps trying to get me to start one.) A lot of the cozy publishers are on there- including Kensington, Berkeley, and Midnight Ink (among others.) 

I think I'm also going to try out one of the Kindle book sharing sites for "loanable" Kindle books. If anybody here belongs to one- lmk! Maybe we can compare lists.

Just some ideas to help feed our reading addictions. :)

Last Edited on: 1/17/17 11:37 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/17/2017 11:48 AM ET

Debbie, there's an eBook forum.  At one time I was a part of exchanging but somehow faded away.  I've offered some cozies a coupe of times when I see I can loan them.

orchid7 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/17/2017 11:53 AM ET

Yeah- but the ebook forum on this site is pretty dead. I meant like LendleMe or one of those sites.

Page: