Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: 2017 Cozy Mystery Challenge Discussion Topic

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/13/2017 10:11 PM ET

When we were on Mackinac Island we took the carriage ride to the Grand Hotel.  As we turned the corner there was the fudge shop from the book.  The island is terrific.   Has a fort that was used during the War of 1812.  Fudge shops galore.  Walking trails, horse back riding, carriage rides.  The most common way to get there is by ferry.  You could fly.  Oh and of course ride a bike.  :)

Last Edited on: 3/13/17 11:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
SierraK avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/13/2017 10:24 PM ET

Geri, it sounds like a fun place to visit!  I'm looking forward to reading more in the series.

quiltpurple avatar
Date Posted: 3/13/2017 10:27 PM ET

Fudge, did you say fudge Geri?  I'm down to my last little bit. Only have about 4 oz. left of the 7 lbs. I bought.  And yes, Lec Clier, it was wonderful.  I want to go back in the spring when the lilacs are in bloom and stay at Lilac House, a B & B, which is painted lilac.  There is a butterfly house which had the most beautiful butterflies I've ever seen. 

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 3/13/2017 10:28 PM ET

Una, if you go to Amazon check out fudge, you can get some from the fudge shop where we bought ours, Ryba!  At this time of year they're in Chicago.  I always wanted to go to the island for the lilac festival.  Haven't made it yet.  So many neat things in Michigan, theTulip festival in Holland and the lilacs on the island and the Cherry festival in Traverse City, .  You can almost go from the tuips to the liacs to the cherries within a month.  And, I know you prefer cool Una so Michigan in May and June in that area is on the cool side.  Not cold, cold but not summer heat either.

Last Edited on: 3/13/17 10:59 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
SierraK avatar
Date Posted: 3/13/2017 11:02 PM ET

I'm curious, in the book Allie is making different kinds of fudge, specifically fudge based on cocktails.  Does the store really sell these kinds of fudge?  And do they really not allow cars on the island?  Such an interesting place!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 3/13/2017 11:11 PM ET

Yes, they do sell liquor based fudge.  The only motorized vehicle is the ambulance and the fire truck.  If you see the poice they're on bicycles or horse back.  Just watch where you step even though there are plenty of "clean up" guys. devil

SierraK avatar
Date Posted: 3/13/2017 11:21 PM ET

Sounds fabulous!  But tough on the waistline.  Sounds like there are a lot of interesting places to see in Michigan!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 3/14/2017 8:29 AM ET

People don't realize how much of a tourist trap the entire state is.  From the bottom to the top.  Great things to see on the sides too.  You can dip your toes in four of the Great Lakes here too.  Where else will you find Hell and Paradise?  Yep, Hell does freeze over here and Paradise is even colder in the winter.  :)

Bama-Booklover avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/14/2017 10:16 AM ET

Sounds like a fun place for us to visit;  I know DH would be interested in fishing there.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 3/14/2017 11:55 AM ET

Lots of different fish.  Lots of sight seeing if it's not your thing.

quiltpurple avatar
Date Posted: 3/15/2017 12:01 PM ET

Finished The Skeleton in the Closet by Angie Fox.  I really like this series.  It meets my criteria for a good book--great entertainment without a lot of thinking involved.  A good 4 star book IMHO.

jannymarie avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/15/2017 12:18 PM ET

I just finished A Ghostly Grave by Tonya Kappes.  This is the third one I read in this series, should have read them in order since the story is sequential.   I find myself laughing out loud and getting funny looks when I read this series.  So a good dose of simple silly fun in these books.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 3/15/2017 2:17 PM ET

Oh I enjoyed both of those series.  Both left me laughing out loud.  Just read a novella of the Southern Ghost Hunter.  Dog Gone Ghost, more tears than laughs though.

Last Edited on: 3/15/17 2:28 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 3/15/2017 2:53 PM ET

Janice, is A Ghostly Grave the first of the series?    I have the second and third;  need the first to keep from reading them out of order.......wink

Scratch that, It's A Ghostly Undertaking (# 1) that I need.

Last Edited on: 3/15/17 2:54 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 3/15/2017 3:09 PM ET

Maybe the Leprechauns will bring you the book Lynn.  Friday is St Patrick's Day.  wink

I'm reading a Nocturne Falls #7.  The Dragon Finds Forever / Kristen Painter.  The Leprechaun King is married to a pixie and they have a Will o' the Wisp daughter.  Do you love it?  The Nocturne Falls series is a laugh out loud for me.  Vampires, witches, any type of paranormal you can think of live there in peace.  It celebrates Halloween all year so a were can walk around without a problem.

jannymarie avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/15/2017 9:34 PM ET

UTOH Lynn I just mailed A Ghostly Grave to you today for the mystery swap, hope you don't already have it.  Order isn't super critical just knew the outcome of an event discussed in this book since I read a book ahead first.  

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/17/2017 6:48 AM ET

I finished the Woman who walked in Sunshine by Alexander McCall Smith. Love this series. My mother used to enjoy it. It is always like visiting an old friend when I pick up one of these books.

alice

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 3/17/2017 10:35 AM ET

No Janice, it's the book from you I was counting in my stash........all's good.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/20/2017 7:47 AM ET

I am reading Pop Goes the Murder (A Popcorn Shop Mystery) :: Kristi Abbott

I liked the first one well enough. Very simple cozy. I don't think I have ever been to a gourmet popcorn shop. Can't imagine playing the money for it.

MartieKr avatar
Date Posted: 3/20/2017 8:00 AM ET

I'm reading that one right now, too, Alice. I went to a gourmet popcorn shop the last time I was up in New England.....can't remember where it was. You're right, the stuff is very expensive and not much in the bags. Didn't buy any but very interesting combinations.

I'm also reading The Tomb of the Honey Bee (Posie Parker #2) by L.B. Hathaway and An Aria of Omens by Patricia Greenwood. Both of these are on my Kindle and I'm liking them both.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 3/20/2017 8:38 AM ET

I just finished Pop Goes Murder.  I had a gourmet popcorn shop in the nearby mall.  Mom loved one of the flavors so we had to buy a small bag whenever we hit the mall.  I'm not a big popcorn fan and none of it appealed to me except the basics, butter or cheese. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 3/22/2017 9:01 PM ET

I finished Margaritas, Marzipan, and Murder (A Cape Bay Cafe Mystery) (Volume 3) Author: Harper Lin

It was good but not as good as the previous 2. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 3/30/2017 7:58 AM ET

I am reading Body on the Bayou (Cajun Country, Bk 2) :: Ellen Byron

I like this and the first one Plantation Shudders. Well written with good mystery and solid stable characters. I would recommend this series.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 3/31/2017 3:35 PM ET

I've started reading from my oldest on my TBR, unless I need to read something for a swap.......

I did get the first book of a new series to me yesterday;  LESS THAN 100 pages........Pastrami Murder by Patti Benning (and Summer Prescott)

Has anyone read any of this series: the Darling Deli series?

quiltpurple avatar
Date Posted: 3/31/2017 7:26 PM ET

I finished Lowcountry Boneyard.  I'm really liking this series a lot.  Good thing I have the next two sitting on the shelves waiting for me.laugh Now to see where it will fit in the challenge.

Page: