Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: 2017 Historical Fiction Challenge

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/4/2017 9:06 PM ET

Still not sure if I want to tackle that book! Thanks Cheryl!

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 6/16/2017 1:14 PM ET

Fine Wines #1- Read a book about or set during the Prohibition era:  All the Stars in the Heavens by Adriana Trigiani

This book was a lovely palate cleanser about the golden age of 1930s Hollywood.  It mainly featured the glamorous Loretta Young and her secretary, Alda Ducci.  This book focused on Ms. Young's love affairs with her leading men, Clark Gable and Spencer Tracy.  Also making appearances in the book are such luminaries as Jean Harlow, Myrna Loy,and  David Niven along with a host of studio moguls and directors.  A fun summer read and just what I needed!

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/19/2017 5:38 PM ET

Appetizer #6 An author or character that shares a name or initials with you:

What Remains of Heaven by C.S. Harris

This is another installment in the Sebastian St, Cyr mystery series, I believe it is book #5.  I share the C.S. part of the author's name as those were my initials before I was married (many, many moons ago!)

sulock avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/21/2017 7:21 AM ET

Just finished 'Old Scores' by Will Thomas was very good, I have loved all his books.  Went into the relationship of England, China and Japan, woven into a great murder mystery.  Love these characters of Barker and LLewelyn and the Victorian London setting.  Still have about 3 books to read to finish up but really have enjoyed the challenge this year.

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 11/21/2017 3:14 PM ET

That one is on my Christmas wishlist for Santa, Susan!

sulock avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/21/2017 4:20 PM ET

I just couldn't wait and had credit at B & N.  Really enjoyed each of his books.  Now I am diving into my stack of Sherlock Holmes books, by various writers. I also love C S Harris can't wait for the new one due in March I think.

Last Edited on: 11/21/17 4:21 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/26/2017 9:31 AM ET

I finished Lost Among the Living by Simone St James

Not my favorite book by her but the last half of the book got much better. Left me wondering what will happen with our two main characters. Aunt Dottie turned about to be much interesting and likeable thank I originally thought. Book is in 1921 England

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/22/2017 7:42 PM ET

With a little over a week left in 2017, how did everyone do with their challenge? I, for one, did quite horribly. ð¬

Page: