Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: 2017 Mystery/Thriller Challenge - Discussion

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
therevmrs avatar
Date Posted: 8/14/2017 11:27 AM ET

I have finished the main part of the challenge! I posted awhile back that I was having difficulty finding a book for the "activist" category - and read4thesoul suggested that I look at the occupation lists on Stop You're Killing Me! I am somewhat embarrassed to say I didn't even think of looking there, because I didn't think of "activist" as an occupation! However, that is where I found the book to fulfill this category - and then got it through Paperback Swap. The book is: The Ballad of Rocky Ruiz by Manuel Ramos, originally published in 1993, the copy I have is a 2004 reprint.

I kept thinking that I'd read this before, but the story was completely new to me. I'm pretty sure I was confusing Luis Montez, the former Chicano activist-turned-attorney with Henry Rios, the gay Latino attorney in a series created by Michael Nava.

At any rate, Ballad is a good story. Four friends from college, who were all involved with La Raza student activism, are still acquaintances a couple decades later in the Denver area. One is a judge, one owns apartment houses, another is a 'business man;' Montez is a barely-scraping-by attorney. All are survivors, connected by their shared history with the deceased Rocky Ruiz, murdered at the height of their involvement with activism. A beautiful new lawyer arrives in Denver, who charms Montez and the others, and seems interested in this history. Then the first survivor is murdered. To say any more would introduce spoilers. The story is not as dated as I feared, the writing is fine, and I enjoyed the mystery. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/20/2017 11:03 AM ET

I'm making progress on the challenge.  I might just make it before the end of the year, thanks to my kindle.  I've found some really good free stories to fit the categories.

I still need books for 2 categories:

Is That Really You? – Read a mystery that features a real person as a character. - I have a book, The Ninth Daughter (Abigail Adams, Bk 1) : Barbara Hamilton . but didn't really get into it.  I probably give it another try.

Meet Me at the Fair – Read 2 mysteries set during a World’s Fair - I have some books wish listed, I need to receive one more before the end of the year.

Any suggestions?  I need to read through back posts here.

read4thesoul avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/9/2017 8:27 PM ET

yes      Was browsing the lists and really like Cheryl's checkmarks.  They have a nice finality.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/15/2017 8:44 AM ET

I'm going to make it!  Only 2 books to go.  Starting one today, and just ordered the last one through PBS.

You're welcome to copy my check marks .... I copied them off the internet :)

Last Edited on: 11/15/17 5:26 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/16/2017 2:40 PM ET

I quickly finished Bones Buried Deep (Bones, Bk 1) Author: Max Allan Collins, Kathy Reichs, for the  Isn’t It Grand! – Read any mystery by an Edgar Award Grand Master. (It didn't say it had to be his award winning book).  It was a quick read.  LOL!  yesterday I had Bones on TV as I was reading this Bones book (based on the TV series).  I just added the book to my bookshelf, if anyone is interested.

Only 1 book to go!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/16/2017 4:25 PM ET

Read a mystery that features a real person as a character

Tender is Le Vine by Andrew Bergman. mystery. This book has several real people in it.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/29/2017 4:59 PM ET

I am finished!

https://hudsonvalleyone.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/fireworks-804838_1920.jpg

Last Edited on: 11/29/17 4:59 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/29/2017 5:40 PM ET

Congratulations Cheryl - that's quite an accomplishment!!!

BookFan92 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/29/2017 7:24 PM ET

Awesome, Cheryl!

4buttercup avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/29/2017 10:10 PM ET

Yay Cheryl!

therevmrs avatar
Date Posted: 12/22/2017 4:21 PM ET

Finished the challenge, but not all the bonuses... Will there be a 2018 Mystery Challenge? I see topics for a Cozy Mystery Challenge and Historical Mystery Challenge. Asking - not volunteering to create one...

Thank you! Happy Holidays!

Last Edited on: 12/22/17 4:21 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Page: