Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: 2018 Historical Mystery Challenge Discussion Topic

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/19/2017 12:19 PM ET

2018 Historical Mystery Challenge

This historical mystery challenge is very simple read books in as many categories as you can. If there is a category that you really, read as many books as you like in that category (ies). It is nice to share what we are reading and introduce all of us to new authors and books. This Challenge will start Jan 1, 2018

Go here to add your list 2018 Historical Mystery  LIST

1. Shiny New – Read a historical mystery released for the first time in 2018.
  2. Nice to Meet You- Read a historical mystery by a new to you author
  3. Military- Read a historical mystery in which one of the main characters is in or was in the military of any country
  4. Roaring 20's - hemlines are shorter and booze is illegal read a historical mystery  set in 1920's
  5. 1800’s – Read a book set between 1800 and 1899
  6. The Arts- read a historical mystery that is focused around the arts, (painting, fashion, sculpting, cooking etc)
  7. Missing Person-- Read a historical mystery in which the cover art does not include a person
  8. Oldies but Goodies-- Read a historical mystery published before 2000. 
  9. Asia and Australia-- Read a historical mystery set in Asia or Australia
  10. America- Read a historical mysteries that are set in different eras (Puritans, American revolution, Pioneering, gold rush, Civil war, women's movement, industrial revolition etc
  11. Make up your own Category—Make up your own category 

For the Over Achievers

Bonus- Read  as many historical mysteries written by a male author that you can fit into the year. 

Last Edited on: 11/19/17 12:29 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/19/2017 9:47 PM ET

I think I posted some banners in the HF forum on this topic as well.

283320_1217523_t.jpg   283320_1217521_t.jpg  283320_1218549_t.jpg  283320_1218552_t.jpg

Last Edited on: 11/19/17 10:08 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: The Saint's Day Deaths by Albert Noyer
Date Posted: 11/27/2017 12:24 PM ET

In the waning days of the Roman empire, a series of inexplicable murders plague the frontier outpost of Mongonium. Bracing for the possible invasion of hostile Vandal tribes, the population of this isolated city is also being torn apart by internal religious squabbles. When two Christian sects clash, a pagan sympathizer stands ready to resurrect the glory days of the Roman Pantheon of gods. After several citizens named for Christian martyrs meet grisly and untimely deaths, Treverius Asterius, a wily cartographer commissioned to survey the entire region, suspects foul play. As Treverius draws closer to the truth, a power-crazed government official determined to carve out a new rebel province threatens the security of the entire town. An evocative and authentically detailed historical mystery. Margaret Flanagan
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

sulock avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/10/2017 2:55 PM ET

I am in Alice great catagories.

sulock avatar
Date Posted: 3/22/2018 11:21 AM ET

Seems like there isn't much sharing of read book opinions here but thought I would share one that merits some attention.  For the Japanese catagory

Claws of the Cat (Shinobi, Bk 1) Author: Susan Spann even if you are like me and don't love books with hard to pronounce character names this was one great mystery.  Historic Japan when the first Europeans were allowed in.  A convoluted murder of a Samori.  I was carried thru the story great feel for the time and characters that seem to work together even as they are very diverse.

Poets and Murder : A Judge Dee Mystery (Gulik, Robert Hans Van, Judge Dee Mystery.) Author: Robert van Gulik

Also would recommend this book.  Love Judge Dee mysteries (even found some great DVDs with this real life detective.   Again oriental but great mysteries.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/28/2018 8:49 PM ET

Susan I also liked Claws of the Cat. Liked time period and Japan location

sulock avatar
Date Posted: 6/14/2018 9:32 AM ET

Read Why Kill the Innocent by C S Harris and it was wonderful , love the time period and the characters I am always sorry when I finish because there will be such a long wait for the next.  Recommend the series if you like British Victorian era Mysteries. 

Read Warlock Holmes a really quirky take on Sherlock Holmes and Watson, their roles are reversed in these books by Denning and you really need to read them in order or you will be somewhat lost in the character of Sherlock Holmes in this book.  I liked the first and the second better than this third book. 

Read Sherlock Holmes -Cry of the Innocents by Scott was OK and I enjoyed it but didn't love it. 

I just started Island of the Mad by Laurie R King and I really think this is going to be another great read,   --A mad woman goes missing and Mary Russell's school friend asks her to help find her aunt.  She disappeared after a visit home for her brothers birthday celebration, she is accompanies by her nurse and both go missing not returning to Bedlam after the visit.  Love this series and each on I think is better than the last.

sulock avatar
Date Posted: 6/17/2018 7:40 PM ET

Finished the new Laurie R. King book 'Island of the Mad'  Sherlock Holmes, Mary Russell,  the Fascist mob of Italy of 1925, Cole Porter and Venice.  Mix the lot together with greed, women having very few rights, anyone can be committed to a mad house with very little recourse.  Makes for a really great book.  Not much of a mystery but a good mix of the time, the personalities and Venice , really enjoyed the book.

sulock avatar
Date Posted: 6/21/2018 11:15 AM ET

Unnatural Death: The Dawson Pedigree Author: Dorothy L Sayers read this for cat.  written before 2000.  the copyright is 1953 and was Avon published 1964.  I know I have read this one before but it has been so long couldn't remember the twists and turns.  Love Dorothy Sayers.

MartieKr avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/21/2018 8:52 AM ET

Just finished Edinburgh Twilight by Carol Lawrence. The story is set in the late 1800s in Edinburgh where a young detective, Ian Hamilton, is assigned to find a killer who is leaving strange playing cards on the corpses.  This is the first in a new series and although the books has flaws, it does show promise. It's drags quite a bit but many of the characters are quite likeable and the atmosphere well set. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 7/21/2018 9:43 AM ET

Looks good Mary I put it on my WL

Alicd

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/14/2018 7:59 PM ET

Next week I will post our 2019 HF mystery challenge any suggestions?

MartieKr avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/19/2018 8:24 AM ET

I just finished See What I Have DoneSarah Schmidt, a fictionalized account of the Lizzie Borden murders. I've always been fascinated with Lizzie and read every book I can find on her. This one certainly had some flaws, but overall, I enjoyed it.