Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Cooking Cooking

Topic: 30 minute low carb meals

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: 30 minute low carb meals
Date Posted: 4/3/2014 8:03 PM ET

Working on the weight loss, now 5 pounds down (whoopee!), but a box of donuts came to the office today and I succumbed to temptation.   I thought we could share our recipes for easy, weeknight, low carb meals.

Here's my go-to Weeknight Fish Dinner - saute some chopped onion in a little olive oil, when the onion is translucent add a seasoned fish filet.  Saute on one side until half done (usually just a few minutes).  Turn it over, then pile on fresh spinach and put the lid on.  The spinach will wilt while the fish finishes cooking.  Top with some parmesan cheese while hot.  Serve with sliced tomatoes.

Anybody else have a quick low carb meal idea?

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/14/2014 6:09 PM ET

OK, I give up.  Bye.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Low Carb
Date Posted: 4/18/2014 7:36 PM ET

Carole, are you on Atkins? Just read in Women's World a quick start for Atkins and think I may try. The recipe in the magazine is for bacon wrapped chicken breast. Sounds easy, Wrap 3 slices of bacon around breast topped with a sprig of rosemary. Bake for 30 min. Good luck with the weight loss. 

tsatske avatar
Date Posted: 5/13/2014 6:03 PM ET

carole, check out chowstalker website online. It's pretty pictures of all kinds of Paleo food. Paleo food is not always low carb but it usually is, so it's a good place to start. My mom follows what I call a 'don't eat the five bad white things' diet: sugar, flour, rice, potatoes, salt. I check paleo recipies for her cause I can often find something good for her there.

SanJoseCa avatar
Date Posted: 5/14/2014 1:10 PM ET

Carole, thanks for the fish dinner recipe, a wonderful way to use spinach!   We are trying to eat more fish these days. On warm days, I like making a salad using salmon ( can or fresh broiled) and mixed greens adding cucumber, broccoli , peppers, celery...whatever fresh veggies I have on hand.  Our favorite dressing (at the moment!) is Balsamic vinaigrette.