Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: APCs being pulled?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
hugbandit7 avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 4/23/2008 2:55 PM ET

ahhh, gotcha Kayote!  obviously someone using the APC machine for media mail has to be pretty savvy and know that you have to know the postage rates. I'm lucky that right by mine is a scale that you can weigh your package and click on book rates and get the media mail amounts.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/23/2008 7:08 PM ET

Oh, this is SO typical.  They finally do something that helps people not have to stand in those interminable lines and they decide to take it away.  It makes no sense whatsoever to take the machines away--first of all, they haven't been there that long and it always takes people time to learn to use something new.  Second, they already PAID to manufacture the machine--how does it save money to take it away now??  My post office still has one, I used it today.  I live in Chicago so I hope our post offices have enough business to keep the APC, it's the only thing that's made the 13-ounce rule bearable. 

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/23/2008 9:25 PM ET

Leslie, the APM at my PO had a big drop box right next to it for you to deposit your package in once you've put postage on it.  Further up the lobby they have 2 drop slots for envelopes and slightly bigger drop slots for small packages.  Any smaller packages I couldn't fit in the lobby drop slots I was putting in the APM drop box.

InspWVreader avatar
Printable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/23/2008 9:29 PM ET

I avoid the PO if at all possible.  I buy my stamps from the USPS website and put my books either in my personal mailbox or drop them in a mailbox in town somewhere.  As for shipping larger packages, I'd go with UPS any day over the USPS!

Poncer avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 4/23/2008 10:21 PM ET

This is why the price of stamps will 'forever' increase. They are allowed to spend a gazillion dollars on equipment before they research it thoroughly, and then decide they dont want the equipement after a minimal time using it. Um, yes, no wonder they are always in the red...

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Yes, APC's have slots
Date Posted: 4/23/2008 11:06 PM ET

Leslie:  APC machines don't have drop slots

The back of the machine has a "bin" where the packages go - I think that's the "slot" in question.

hugbandit7 avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 4/23/2008 11:19 PM ET

John, that must be a different version of the APC machine because the one in my PO and the one by my office does not have any sort of slot or bin at the back of the APC machine.  on the wall adjacent to the machine is a bin to place the packages that is larger than than the one for envelopes or smaller packages

Last Edited on: 4/23/08 11:21 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Guess there are both
Date Posted: 4/23/2008 11:41 PM ET

The back of my machine is sorta like a regular street mailbox, only with a larger "slot" to take packages (and it's silver not blue); you pull the handle, put your package inside, and close it so that your package falls into the inside bin. If the bin is full, the slot mechanism jams (I referred to it as "locked" once and the clerk went off on me "We don't 'lock' them!") and has to be manually cleared. I feel sorry for folks going nights/weekends with packages larger than blue-box sized when that happens, as those are all franked up with no place to go!

Page: