Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Random Acts of Kindness (RAOK) Random Acts of Kindness (RAOK)

Topic: **** AUGUST I WISH, I WISH (wishes we can grant) ****

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
vickinb avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 8/18/2017 12:17 PM ET

Added one exta wish to mine above. Please check it out.

schnauzer-mom avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/18/2017 7:26 PM ET

I thought of a couple things to wish for, late as it is in the month. 

Colorful bandanas. In addition to other projects I'm working on, I like to make the bandanas into something that will slip onto a dog collar.  I hope to send some to the Old Friend's Senior Dog Sanctuary in Mount Juliet, TN.  I love to follow them on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/OldFriendsSeniorDogSanctuary

Any odd leftover Fat Quarter of fabric to make into a bandana.

Spools of thread, any color, half used spools, etc.  

And as in previous months, wide bias tape. Or blanket binding bias tape, but only if you have it lying around. It is expensive.

Thanks for looking.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/20/2017 7:56 PM ET

My wishes are -

Horror movies (can be disc only)

Old unused or used postage

VHS tapes of almost anything

orchid7 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/21/2017 6:18 PM ET

I'm wishing for Box Tops for Education for my son's school.

Thanks!

BookLady avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/24/2017 12:40 PM ET

Late to be asking, but why not. :)

Foreign newspaper...any foreign language (Spanish, Chinese, French, whatever) -  just a few sheets is fine. I am using them in an art project.

Old book with rag-like pages...you know the ones, they look torn on the edges. Usually they are cheap bookclub editions of popular novels. I am using watercolor paint on the pages and it needs to be that type of paper that sucks up the liquid, not the slick smooth pages books are made of today.

Vintage pictures of ladies in gowns...Victorian, Civil War era, etc. Printed in old catalog reprints for whatever. I need these for a fashion collage I am making.

Thank you for reading my requests. I may post them again in September. Probably nobody still checking this topic so late in the month.

I apologize to anyone who is horrified I am using old books for art work. Think of it as giving them new life!!! LOL

Happy August!!!

rissycloud avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 8/25/2017 5:16 PM ET

The Card Fairies are doing a card shower for Jeanne G. (IlliniAlum83)'s daughter and her new baby. If you would like to join in please feel free to PM me for the information :-)

vickyt avatar
Vicky - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/30/2017 10:28 AM ET

Please, please, please say prayers for those in Texas who are flooding and then trying to recover.  Pray for those who go to volunteer and help with the recovery.  As many of you know, I have seen this first hand in the past year here in WV.  Until you see and are part of a flood, you don't really know how bad flooding is to the morale and to the environment surrounding everyone.  We are still recovering here and hope that Texas can recover from this devastating event.  If anyone knows of a member who is flooded or a member going to help with flooding, please direct them to me so that I can see what I can do from afar to help.

If you are planning to send material things to the area, a few suggestions from our experience:]

hand held can openers  (we didn't have enough around here)

charcoal and lighter fluid

charcoal grills

women's monthly products

baby diapers

baby wipes

dog and cat collars

plastic bags of every size and shape

plastic totes

crayons and coloring books or small hand toys to keep children busy while parents are trying to clean  

school supplies after they start school again

(I know these aren't the most common items that are requested but these are items that are sorely needed when people are in centers and then at home trying to pick up the pieces.)

Last Edited on: 8/30/17 6:25 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
nandip avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 8/30/2017 1:34 PM ET

Last Edited on: 7/20/18 11:31 AM ET - Total times edited: 4
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Date Posted: 8/30/2017 2:16 PM ET

OK, I have re-read the RAOK rules, and it is not allowed to ask for donations, no matter how great the need may be.  Here is the standard language that PBS uses:
We remind our members that asking for donations, even for a very good cause, is not permitted on the site. Asking for gifts is allowed (within reason) on the Random Acts of Kindness Forum, and there are constraints that apply.
I would also like to remind everyone who posts here that this is a PUBLIC forum that is not limited to PBS members, and posting personal/private information such as street addresses may incur risks.

Last Edited on: 8/30/17 2:28 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Subject: This thread is now closed
Date Posted: 8/31/2017 10:36 PM ET

This thread is now closed.  Please move over to the September I Wish thread to post your desires.  Thanks!

Page: