Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Gardening

Topic: Amaryllis help needed

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Amaryllis help needed
Date Posted: 10/11/2014 3:07 AM ET

How do I get an amaryllis plant to go dormant? I am moving next may and it needs to go with the movers. I am not much of a plant person. Yes its alive it was my grandma's so it is making the move otherwise I would get a new one. I don't have a basement to put it in so it will be in an apartment thats about 70 degrees for the winter. Then Im thinking of putting it in a box of some sort for the move and sealing it (while its still dormant), the movers dont water plants or assure there arrival so I am just going to keep my fingers crossed. But the big thing is how do I get it to go dormant before may so that its travel will be ok since with it leaves and stuff I dont think sticking it in a box would be a good idea. I want it to arrive alive. Any help on this would be appreciated.

louieg avatar
Date Posted: 10/12/2014 10:48 AM ET

I haven't had much experience with amaryllis plants but if you google "force amaryllis into dormancy" lots of pages on the subject come up. Good luck.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/13/2014 4:27 PM ET

Ok thanks. I will try that. I think the vocabulary is what I need.