||Cookies & Bars
||5 / 10
1 cup - sugar
6 - eggs
1 cup - vegetable oil
5 cups - flour
5 tsp. - baking powder
- pinch of salt
1 tsp. - anisette extract
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream sugar and eggs together in a large bowl.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add bowl of dry ingredients, alternately with oil & extract, to the sugar mixture bowl.
- Shape the cookies and place them on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly brown.
- When cool, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar ( optional ).
****To Shape Cookies:
Take a spoonful of the dough and roll it out into a snake shape on a clean surface, such as your counter or table. You might want to add a sprinkle of flour to the table first before rolling, just in case the dough gets too soft and gets sticky.
Once the snake shape is made ( don't make it too thin either! ), grab the ends and bring them down to form an upside-down "U" shape.
Take one side and cross it over the other side. The cross-over should be more in the middle, not at the ends.
Take the sides and twist one more time. The end result should look like this: a small loop at the top, 2 twists in the center and 2 small ends hanging down.
****If this all seems WAY too much work for some yummy cookies, just take a spoonful of the dough and roll it into a ball. Flatten the ball slightly and just place on the greased cookie sheet!! Trust me-- you may want to do it this way because stirring 5 cups of flour with the other ingredients hurts!!
*****If you don't have Anisette extract ( or you don't like Anisette flavor ):
Try vanilla! I tried it and it tastes great this way too. I haven't tried any other flavors, though, but get creative if you like!!
***** These cookies are somewhat dry. They would go best with a tall glass of milk or a cup of hot tea.