Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Another person NOT marking received...

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 7/6/2018 12:11 PM ET

OOPS! 

Last Edited on: 7/6/18 12:16 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/7/2018 10:46 AM ET

My current irritation involves members who 'forget' to put their account on vacation hold and then are supremely lax about marking books received because they are away. And not a case of auto-requesting WL books whilst the account is on hold. Nuisance, but I will be begin checking accounts as to whether on hold or not before posting a WL book to a 'friend'.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/7/2018 11:37 AM ET

I have failed to mark my account on hold when I was on vacation and once had a neighbor check in any books that arrived while I was gone.  However, the neighbor accepted a book that was not postable.  It was my error for trusting someone unfamiliar with pbs but I emailed the individual who sent the book anyway but received no response.  Not worth worrying about, however.  So many members respond quickly and request my books that I feel good when all works as it should even when I make a mistake!  My advice is to trade with friends when you can and treasure those who fill your requests as you ask.  Nevertheless, I do send many books out FIFO.  We need to encourage new members and strangers to use the site whenever we can and it's a risk that you may lose a book or two.  So what?  That means someone else is reading this book and that's why I joined PBS.

Last Edited on: 7/7/18 11:38 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/7/2018 12:17 PM ET

I mailed a book in May & tracking said it was received before the Memorial Day holiday.  Well this member put a vacation hold the day before the book was delivered.  I sent her a PM in mid June & she respond back that she is out of town for a period of time.  I had to send PBS an email to give me my credit this week. I waited over a month for my credit.   She should not have accept the book if she was not going to be at home to received & marked it mailed.  This was a wishlist book that someone else on the waiting list have had. 

freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/29/2019 8:49 PM ET

i have to agree with sherryl on this one. most requesters i have delt with are very good about marking received. but about 20% have to be chased down for the credit. (the funny thing is these are usually the members who want the book mailed right after they request it.) so if i mail it out fast and they requested it which means they wanted it are they so slow to mark it received. i have had members put ot on their profile pages under the i'm currently reading section. or my favorite have read it and repost it to their shelves. and i am still waiting for my credit. that's what my pet peeve is. 

i had a new member recently who didn't mark the book they requested from me as received. i sent a pm the week after the tracking said it was delivered at her front door. 

the response from her was that her post office has hours on weekdays that make it impossible for her to get their and check her p o box. no problem. according to her the post office is open on saturdays but she prefers to sleep in on saturdays  so she would get to it when she could. a little bit frustrating as she is pretty much telling that she could make it there on saturday but prefers not to.

so i waited until the week it was set to go lost. on the day before it was set to go missing i got  this response from the requester. 

i am a new member and people of your age need to chillax. i will mark it received when i can.  I dont come to the site on a daily basis. PBS says to give the sender a week to reply to your first email.  the  kicker for me was she was posting books to her bookshelf every day and had time to come to the site to  do that. but couldn't  make the effort to get to the post office and click a book was received button. hmm makes you wonder. an i hate the excuse of i'm a new member. when you joined this site did you not read the rules?

Page: