Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: Anyone out there interested in Homeopathy?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Anyone out there interested in Homeopathy?
Date Posted: 8/28/2011 5:35 PM ET

Hi,

I live on the East Coast and would love to be in touch with others interested in homeopathy.  I have been finding some very interesting books lately, one on color remedies and another that is a materia medica on new remedies, such as gemstones and some plants that just underwent a proving in the last ten years or so.

Date Posted: 8/28/2011 11:33 PM ET

Do you know what homeopathy really is? There are two basic principles that it is based on. The first is called the "law" of similars, which says that if a substance causes a problem, that substance can also be used to cure the problem, e.g., if one is suffering from insomnia have some caffeine at bedtime to go to sleep. The second "law" which I can't remember what it is called, negates the first one by diluting the substance into nothingness, to the point where it cannot be detected. This is what homeopathy is all about. I suppose it's harmless if you use it for non-serious conditions that are likely to get better in due course anyway, but please don't consider it for anything serious as that could be quite dangerous.

Date Posted: 8/29/2011 9:01 AM ET

Thank you, Nora, for your concern. 

I've studied homeopathy for over 15 years now and I am quite familiar with the Law of Similar and the Law of Minimum Dosage.  The potentiation that you speak of is the method of administering the remedy to the patient through succussion and dilution. I am familiar with the classic writings of Hanhemann, Boericke, Allen, J.T. Kent, Nash, Guernsey, Margaret Tyler and J.C. Burnett, along with the more contemporary writings by Colin Griffith and Ambika Wauters.

Homeopathy was an accepted medical practice here in the United States until the AMA quite arbitrarily decided to exclude doctors using homeopathy in 1847 because it claimed that homeopathy was a alien practice brought to the U.S. by greedy, ignorant foreigners and the clergymen hawked the remedies to an unsuspecting public (pg 15. Robins, Copeland's Cure, 2005)   The AMA was so consumed by this, they revoked the local medical society membership of a doctor whose wife was studying homeopathy and another doctor who did nothing more than purchased milk sugar from a pharmacy. (pg 18. Robins, Copeland's Cure). 

So, yes, I am quite well aware of the attitudes of those who practice allopathy in the United States toward homeopathy and alternative medicines in general.

While I appreciate your concerns about homeopathy, I would deem it best to agree to disagree on this issue. 

Respectfully yours,

Taquoshi

Date Posted: 8/29/2011 10:52 AM ET

I would just like to make one more point and then I will shut up. Certainly in 1847 the AMA, and "modern medicine" in general were on pretty shaky ground, scientifically speaking, and it is fair to say that their exclusion of homeopathy at that time was little more than an attempt to suppress competition. I agree that it was wrong of them to persecute those people as you described. However, since then the scientific underpinnings of medicine have become much stronger. It baffles me that anyone could consider homeopathy to be valid medical practice given the principles on which it is based.

Date Posted: 8/29/2011 7:50 PM ET

That's fine.  Many people can not understand how homeopathy works.

My personal introduction to homeopathy came when I was suffering from a severe toothache years ago.  The dentist, a friend of the family, took multiple x-rays and could find no problem.  He informed me it was the result of a bicycle accident years earlier where I had broken and cracked a few teeth along with acquiring a few hairline fractures in my jaw.  However, I was taking a minimum of one aspirin a day and working my way up to two just to control the pain.  The oral surgeon I was referred to explained to me quite seriously that the pain was "all in my head".  He went on to say that the nerve was inflamed and there was nothing anyone could do. I'd just have to learn to live with it.

A friend suggested I use cloves on the tooth, which brought about some relief.  When another friend found out, she rushed me to her homeopathic teacher, Vinton McCabe. As we drove to her class, she burbled about how homeopathy helped her with her autistic son. I udnerstood very little of what she said.  After class, Vinton told me what remedy he thought I should be taking and my friend drove me to the local health food store to buy it.  I figured it was worth a try. So I took a dose and went to bed.  The next morning for the first time in almost three months, I woke up without pain.  I did not need aspirin that day or have to use cloves. The next day, the pain started to come back and I took another dose. That was the end of that particular problem.

Since then, I have seen some amazing things that homeopathy has done for friends and family.  Many of the earliest homeopaths were licensed medical doctors. During the period when the AMA was removing homeopaths from their ranks, they actually forbid members to even talk to homeopaths.  Those who did were ousted from the Association.    My major concern with allopathic practice is the side effects that the drugs have on people. 

Homeopathy has been use by the Royal Family in England for hundreds of years. If you ever cross the Ben Franklin bridge from the Delaware side into Philadelphia, one of the major buildings you will see is the Hahnemann College of Homeopathy.  A number of current homeopaths also have their medical licenses.  There are thousands of case studies to chose from, both historical and current. And the group Homeopaths Without Borders were in Haiti following the earthquake and a small group of them were down in New Orleans following Katrina.  There is also a very interesting Japanese homeopath that is working with victims of radiation poisoning following the tsunami and the reactor melt downs.

For me, the point of homeopathy is not arguing the mechanics of whether or not it works, but helping people.  According to aerodynamics, bumblebees can not fly.  However, they happily go about their business, flying from flower to flower.  In essentials: harmony; In non-essentials, liberty; In all: charity.

Date Posted: 8/29/2011 9:14 PM ET

As promised, I will say no more on the subject of homeopathy as we have agreed to disagree. However, it is not true that "according to aerodynamics bumblebees cannot fly." This is a story that apparently got started at a German technical university in the 1930s, when a biologist supposedly asked an aerodynamicist at dinner about insect flight. The aerodynamicist did some quick back-of-the-envelope calculations, possibly while under the influence, and came to the startling conclusion that bumblebee flight actually violates the laws of aerodynamics because their wings didn't seem to generate enough lift. The biologist, happy for an opportunity to needle his colleague in the so-called "hard sciences" spread the story far and wide. However, the truth is, as the aerodynamicist must have realized later on, that this is a false analogy between bees and fixed-wing aircraft, while in fact bumblebees are actually more like helicopters. This is due to the difference in the ratios of wing size to body size. Bumblebees' wings are much smaller relative to their bodies than is the case of fixed-wing aircraft, and they work like helicopter blades. I know this from doing some very basic research.

Date Posted: 8/29/2011 9:38 PM ET

I'm not quite sure how to respond to your comments.  I was hoping to have exchanges with those who are interested in homeopathy, which you have clearly stated you are not.  Apparently, you feel you need to correct me and apparently show how uneducated I am.  I do not know why you feel the need to do this, but that's really not my problem.

Once again, that is not why I posted on this discussion thread.  Therefore, I will not respond to any further postings by you.

Date Posted: 8/29/2011 9:43 PM ET

You brought up the bumblebees, not me.

Subject: Homeopathy For Today's World
Date Posted: 9/26/2011 6:20 PM ET

I just got a copy of Rajan Sankaran's newest book "Homeopathy for Today's World"  Has anyone out there had a chance to read it?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Subject: homeopathy
Date Posted: 9/27/2011 4:12 PM ET
Date Posted: 1/4/2012 11:23 AM ET

I am very interested in homeopathy...isn't Chinese Herbal Medicine under homeopathy?  Does anyone have a list of favorite books on the subject?  I would love to know more!  :)

Subject: Starting to learn about Homeopathy
Date Posted: 1/4/2012 1:10 PM ET

Hi there. 

Glad to hear from you.  I'd almost given up hope that there were others out there interested in homeopathy.  

The short answer to your question is that Chinese Herbal Medicine is exactly what it describes itself as, botantical medicine.  Homeopathy, on the other hand, uses botanicals along with minerals, animals and other items to produce the remedies. 

Chinese Herbal Medicine has the patient ingesting the actual botanical, much like the Western herbal medicines that are available in the US, which actually can lead to serious problems.  Some people have reactions to herbals such as Chamomile or Valarian (heart palpitations), but can actually use the homeopathic versions of these when their symptoms call for it. Also, the homeopathic preparation of the remedies allows patients to take toxic substances such as Poison Ivy (Rhus Tox.) or Arsenic (Arsenicum Alb.) quite safely since there is no molecule of the original substance in the remedy at all. 

Since I've been studying homeopathy for almost 20 years, I have a bookcase full of books about it.  However, when push comes to shove, the quick reference guide that I grab because the person on the other end of the phone is really sick is Sylvia Treacher's "Practical Homeopathy".  It's simple, she doesn't give more than 6 or 8 remedies to chose from when dealing with headaches or colds, which narrows the field down.  It's a good book to start with. 

My second choice, which is slightly more sophisticated is "Homeopathic Sel-Care" by Robert Ullman and Judith Reichenberg-Ullman. Once someone has the basics on using the remedies, they start to work on case taking, which is how you determine which remedy will work the best.  That book will walk you through it. 

Anyway, that's where I would start. 

Date Posted: 1/5/2012 9:25 AM ET

Wonderful!  Thank you for the clarification AND the book titles.  I will see about getting my hands on those.  I wish I had more to offer for discussion, but I am so new to this that I think it best that I try and read up on the subject and aquire information for at least half way intelligent questions.  :)

Date Posted: 1/5/2012 9:52 AM ET

Feel free to ask questions.  If I don't know the answer, I can get in touch with someone who does.

Date Posted: 1/28/2012 3:10 AM ET

I have a host of health issues (unfortunately) and I was (until my insurance no longer covered it....grrrr) regularly seeing a homeopath for my issues.  I'm loathe to abandon "traditional" medicine from my repetoire because of the seriousness of my condition, but I really feel it's important for me to explore multiple ways of trying to heal.  Kudos to you for being so well-versed in this topic.  My familiarity with the topic is limited to my homeopath and my ex-fiance's mother who was an herbalist.  I wish I was able to hold some intelligent conversation with you on the topic, but know there ARE other people on here who support homeopathy as a valid medical treatment. 

Date Posted: 1/28/2012 9:01 PM ET

I fully understand your position.  Although we had insurance for many many years, we rarely used it.  The day we were no longer covered by my spouse's plan, I woke up with a sty in my eye that cost me a few hundred dollars to treat.  Since then our son had developed a serious condition also, and must use a pharmaceutical to control his condition.  However, I look forward to the day that he will no longer need the pharmaceutical he is on.

Learning about homeopathy isn't difficult.  Personally, I would start with the two books that I named above.  Another approach is to check your local library and see what they have.  Since you have had some experience with homeopathy, you'll probably be able to tell which books would be appropriate for you. 

I was fortunate and able to find a local study group.  There is also a basic, online course for homeopathy that is free from a group called Homeopathy4Everyone. They've been a great resource for me.  And please, feel free to ask questions.

Date Posted: 1/28/2012 11:21 PM ET

I had no idea you could access a free online course!  I will definitely check that out as well as the 2 books :-)  Thank you for your help.  I look forward to the day I can converse with you on the topic :-)

Good luck to your son!  I hope he gets well VERY soon and can stop taking those meds!!!!!!

Subject: never mind
Date Posted: 1/29/2013 8:59 PM ET

**Edited by PBS**

Advertising of any kind is strictly prohibited here.