Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Homeschoolers' Corner Homeschoolers' Corner

Topic: Can anyone recommend grade 3-4 Math PC Software/Games?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Can anyone recommend grade 3-4 Math PC Software/Games?
Date Posted: 5/28/2009 9:43 PM ET

Hi all,

Our son is currently in 3rd grade, homeschooled. But he is L.D. and is struggling with Math.

He comprehends it, he is just really really struggling to retain it.

We were hoping maybe, since he is a game kid, if maybe a good but FUN math software might be a key to helping him retain these things.

Willing to try anything at this point. He has come such a long way this year, I hate to see him so down on himself for this.

Any suggestions would be happily accepted and greatly appreciated. Thanks much. =)

ada04 avatar
Date Posted: 5/29/2009 3:46 PM ET

For multiplication my son LOVED Timez Attack. There is a complete version free here:

www.bigbrainz.com/indexc.php

On the top right side it will say Base Version, just put in your information, submit, download & you're ready to go.

He loved it so much that we ended up buying the game to get different levels. He had a really hard time retaining his facts & this game helped so much. Good Luck! : )

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/29/2009 10:50 PM ET

Jump start math is WONDERFUL! It's so much fun my kids think they are playing "fun" computer games, but they have to do math problems (or whatever the subject) first in order to play the fun stuff. 

Zoombinis Logical Journey by The Learning Company is fun as well.  It focuses more on math logic than on math drills. 

Learning Resources has lots of really fun board games that cover math.  Iguana Factor (I think) deals with multiplication.  Another one with monkeys deals with adding and subtracting fractions.  They have bunch of them.  We own 6 and my boys love them all.

I've found that amazon.com has the best prices for these types of games.   

polbio avatar
Kat (polbio) -
Date Posted: 5/30/2009 7:21 PM ET

Reader Rabbit is a really good program as well.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/1/2009 2:05 PM ET

Thank you guys for all the ideas. I am looking into them right now. =)

Made myself a list. lol.

Some reason my notifications got shut off, didn't realize I had any replies to this post! =(

Thank you all for all the great info and programs to check into.

A grateful Mom.