Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Does anyone's genre search work and how do you get it to work.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
leecat2 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Does anyone's genre search work and how do you get it to work.
Date Posted: 2/13/2017 10:56 AM ET

Just got email.Not in any way on amyt browser is genre search working for me. If it does work, please say how it is working, please. Any ideas?

Dear Susan,

Thanks for writing in. We're still working to get the Searches functioning perfectly; the Genre search does appear to be working.

If you have trouble, please let us know the terms you entered and the results you got. That could be very helpful.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your patience!

Thanks,

The PaperBackSwap Team
www.PaperBackSwap.com

garrity avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 2/13/2017 1:40 PM ET

I can't get the genre search to work either today.  It worked a couple of days ago though.  I've sent a message to the team.  Hopefully, they have some ideas.

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 2/13/2017 4:15 PM ET

It worked for me - sort of - I popped in ROMANCE and it brought up 100 books that had romance listed somewhere in the title and then I popped in an author and it brought up about 100 of her books, but I know there are more out there. Not working great though.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/14/2017 2:58 PM ET

The search function is a nightmare.  I can search, but it limits how many books are returned - I know for a fact there are more than 100 books in the mystery genre, but only 100 are returned, with no additional pages.  So the genre search does not work the way it should.  I rarely search by title, I prefer browsing to see what I can find, but I haven't found anything lately because of this.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/14/2017 6:21 PM ET

Nothing is working properly for me, in the various search options.  I'm not sure what the website errors were, but it is clearly an epic screwup. 

Alameda avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/15/2017 8:19 AM ET

Seems to work for me -

- I poped in Horror in my search box on my bookshelf, got zero hits.
- I popped in Romance and got 138 hits (I have 350 books posted)
- went to two friends listing and selected various genre's from their bookshelf listing and  got varying results that I interpreted to be Ok - did'nt get everything on their bookshelf and didn't get zero reults for stuff like Romance etc.
- I interpreted that it was working for me.

All that being said - I use my Reminders List (7,500 titles) several times a day - for the last two days I have not been able to get in.It was working fine Sat and Sun. 

Danny N (Alameda) - Havelock NC

Last Edited on: 2/15/17 8:20 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
soelo avatar
Date Posted: 2/15/2017 8:39 PM ET

Danny, I see four Horror books on your bookshelf and they were all posted before today. I also see only 329 books on your shelf. Just FYI - not really anything you or I can do about it =)

I tried using the book browser and the genre option does not seem to be working for me. I put in genre and press Update and it returns 100 posted books most of which are not in my genre at all.

leecat2 avatar
Date Posted: 2/16/2017 9:48 AM ET

Good to know that I am not the only one. this reduced PBS to the status of Bookmuncher. It's like a barred library, where you can only get books that you know are in there, but cannot access any that you don't.