Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Contemporary Fiction

Topic: April reading

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
escapeartistk avatar
Subject: April reading
Date Posted: 4/7/2012 1:22 PM ET
What is everyone reading this month? I am trying to finish up a few that I'm not enjoying so much so I can move on to something else.
boberinn avatar
Date Posted: 4/7/2012 2:53 PM ET

I just finally read the Hunger Games and loved it.  I don't know why it took so long for me to read it but I am so glad I did:)

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/8/2012 10:08 AM ET

Finished a mystery novel, now reading Five Quarters of the Orange

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/8/2012 1:28 PM ET

Ironically, I am finishing Five Quarters of the Orange (a most unusual story, by the way).

Rose

janete avatar
Date Posted: 4/8/2012 5:30 PM ET

Just finished The Expats. Whew! what a great story. Here's an excerpt from my review:

Debut novelist Chris Pavone shows remarkable skill in plotting and in cranking up hardcore suspense in this tight, well-written thriller set in an unremarkable corner of Europe. Kate quits her stressful inside-the-beltway job so that Dexter, her husband, can take an assignment in  Luxembourg, one of the world’s money belts where just about everyone is involved, legally or otherwise, in banking and finance. Life is good, if not a tad boring for Kate, who spends her days cooking, housekeeping and caring for her two little boys who quickly make friends with other expat children. Kate and Dexter make new friends, too, and become especially chummy with fellow Americans Bill and Julia. Julia is a decorator (or so she says) and Bill claims to be in finance. Something about their behavior makes Kate’s antennae go up, and, due to boredom, curiosity, and a background that makes her well-equipped to do so, she looks more closely at her new friends and her new life. I know it’s a cliché to say that a story is such a good read that it’s hard to put a book down. Ok, I’m guilty of that cliché here. This is the kind of story that gets turned into a hit movie, so read and enjoy it now. 4 stars.

Last Edited on: 4/19/12 10:25 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/14/2012 8:13 AM ET

Still Alice by Lisa Genova is an awesome read - profound, enlightening, sad, and so well done that I can't help but recommend it to anyone who has a family member coping with any form of dementia.  It helps you understand so much of what is happening to that person.  The book also shows how a family can grow in support and understanding.  In addition, it's a wonderful story.  

Last Edited on: 4/15/12 4:14 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/17/2012 2:08 PM ET

If you liked "Still Alice," I'd also recommend "Turn of Mind" by Alice LaPlante.  It is a very different type of book about Alzheimer's and gives you a different perspective.  The woman with Alzheimer's is accused of murdering her best friend.  It shows how difficult it is for our justice system to handle this horrible disease.

Wildhog3 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/21/2012 1:05 PM ET

Away on vacation to La Bella Italia, all I took with me was the first of the two Dan Simmons books to re-read (Ilium). I liked it more better than the first time. Possibly because it was all I had to read in English except a Bill Bryson book my wife had. Something he wrote in 1986; hard to get worse, but he has.

I have a Henning Mankell book coming in the mail that says it is a book for young adults. Given his world view, I am seriously wondering how that will come off.