Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: April Showers! What are you reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 4/27/2016 11:11 PM ET

I finished Five Bells and Bladebone by Martha Grimes.  Really enjoyed it.  Next up is a paranormal called Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh.  Not a mystery.  But I have 14 books in this series, all lined up.  Haven't read even one of them so I decided to read the first one and find out if I want to quit collecting them or keep reading.  It's time!

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 4/28/2016 6:25 AM ET

I read Murder at the Courthouse / A H Grabhart yesterday.  I guess it's not a true cozy because the MC is a deputy.  At first I took it to be one of the silly books, full of "dumb" characters.  It's not.  It's a "legitimate" mystery.  MC has come home to this very small town.  I has a woman who left her five year son 10 years ago, the deputies parents were killed in a car accident 10 years ago, but not when the woman went missing.  Now we have a corpse on the courthouse steps.  The woman who shows up every day at 9 am to visit marches into the sheriffs' office and demands the deputy remove that drunk from the courthouse steps.  He was too drunk to say good morning to her and he's a stranger anyway.  A whole cast of fun characters, kind of a Mayberry thing with Lester the crossing guard, (Barney Fife).  I knew who the bad guy was but said, no it can't be him.  This was on Kindle and I really want the next but it's one of those expensive ones.  

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 4/28/2016 12:47 PM ET

Marla, I just read Colorado is in for major snow storm in Denver tomorrow.  Stock up!  Power outages.  Have I got you all upset yet?

Date Posted: 4/28/2016 12:52 PM ET

Marla probably won't be surprised. I remember many a major snow storm in May when I lived there!!!! (and this is still April!)

Last Edited on: 4/28/16 12:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 4/28/2016 12:57 PM ET

The report called it "the usual last snow storm of Apruil."  It's cool here, only getting up to 50 today.  Next week the 60s, yay!  Marla is probably raiding the stores as we speak.  yes

Date Posted: 4/28/2016 1:27 PM ET

Nothing so far except a bit of rain...really more like a heavy dew!  At one point they were saying 10" or more but, with the warm weather we've had, there wouldn't be that much accumulation.  I have plenty of food and plenty of books, so I'm good. You're right, Jeanne, some years this can be normal for Denver.  They come...and go...very quickly.  Looks like Becky may be in for some nasty weather.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 4/28/2016 3:40 PM ET

And, I just saw Arizona has scorpions arriving before their time due to good weather!  I didn't see anything about Oklahoma.  Though I did see something about big storms predicted but fizzled instead in the mid west.

I'm in a can't settle on a book phase at the moment.  I was doing so well and suddenly can't, I havesix Kindle books floating in mid air.

Date Posted: 4/28/2016 5:12 PM ET

Geri - this is so strange but in the 7 years that I've been here the only scorpions I've seen are a couple of little DEAD ones! We do get our house and yard sprayed monthly so that may be a factor but I don't even see them when I'm out and about. I think they show up now and then at our church but that's a Catholic retreat center on 127 acres in the desert just before you get to the Saguaro National Park. I would expect to see them in a desert type location like that. Even so, I have never seen a scorpion there either.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 4/28/2016 6:48 PM ET

Jeanne, the report says the scorpions are in Scttsdale.  I find that hard to believe, about 25 years ago we almost bought a home there.  It was getting built up then, seems strange that scoprions would be invadiing there.  Then we almost bought a house in Lake Havasu my mom loved the idea of having a burro come to the window for breakfast.  heart

Date Posted: 4/28/2016 7:27 PM ET

Geri - Scottsdale is very built up now. That's where one of the Mayo Clinic buildings is as well as the one in Phoenix proper. I know that there have to be scorpions in Tucson too but as I said, we sure aren't bothered by them. I kind of have to laugh when people from other parts of the country or the world come to the church retreat center - the first thing they want to know about is the scorpions and then it's the rattlesnakes. I've seen one rattler since I lived here and not in our yard. So I actually downplay the possible problems since I've never encountered these things like people think you would.

Now, what we have had in our yard on several occasions is the bobcats! They are usually running through though and don't tend to hang around except for the time one decided to munch on several of our baby quail - broke my heart!

Last Edited on: 4/28/16 7:29 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 4/28/2016 7:49 PM ET

I thought it was strange when I read the article.  This is an online news service and I think I like it because I really get a lot of chuckles from it.

With the new bathroom laws, allowing transgender people to use bathrooms that fit their sex -latest story is a man will walk into a ladies room today and say, today I feel like a woman and while in there he'll attack a woman or child.

Whoops, we're not discussing books.  I;ve g=been floating around and can't settle today.  aybe I'll try Crime and Poetry / Amanda Flower.  Has anyone tried it yet?

Date Posted: 4/28/2016 9:03 PM ET

We had some thunder, lightening and rain, but right in our area no real damage.  There were about 3 Level 1 tornadoes in the area so some roofs, trees, etc. were damaged --- no humans.

Finished the "Fortune" book I was reading --- "Hurricane Force" --- it was enjoyable as usual.  The ladies had me laughing out loud on a few occasions.

My European trip is coming quickly so I am trying to get myself ready to go while all my travel "stuff" is in boxes at Zurich.  Am going to have a few duplicate items --- electrical convertors for one.  I leave on the 11th and return on the 26th.  It seems I am getting less enthused the closer it gets.  It sounded like a brave, good idea last fall when I booked the trip.  Now I am wondering if I am going to spend two weeks locked in my cabin wishing I had stayed home.  I will not allow myself to do that --- who knows perhaps it will be the first of more trips taken on my own.  Only time will tell.

Jeanne --- have not had a health update from you lately --- how are things coming along???

Geri --- Have all your bumps, bruises, etc. faded away by now???

Date Posted: 4/28/2016 9:28 PM ET

Becky - I am finally heading toward a more normal "me" with each day. Feeling pretty good most of the time! Thanks so much for asking.

You're going to have a great time on that vacation - not to second guess yourself!

I'm still trying to get through The Merchant's House by Kate Ellis but I seem to be limiting myself to reading in bed and since the surgeries, I find myself falling asleep almost immediately! It's been a loooong time since that has happened!!!!

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 4/29/2016 5:43 AM ET

Hi Becky!  I can't imagine you sitting somewhere for two weeks when there are adventures outside!  Even if it's just goin gout for a meal.  At this time just one more Miss Fortune book.  It came out recently.  I hope there will be at least one more to tidy up some situations.

Jeanne, I found The Merchant' House was a little slow at the beginning.  Once I got into the characters I could not stop reading that series.  I wasn't that big on Brit police procedures but read 19 of those books in less than a year!  I do not normally read books in a series back to back.  I did it in the past and suffered burn out.  No so with Wesley.  If #20 wasn't so expensive - $10.99 for Kindle right now - I'd have it read and panting for the one coming out next year.  smiley

I started Crime and Poetry / Amanda Flower last night around 8 and read 25 pages and out like a light!  I did begin an old book, The Lucifer Messiah / Frank Cavallo yesterday.  I thought it was a mystery but it's more paranormal than mystery.  On Kindle I have Bingoes which tales place in an independent living  center, can't seem to get into it.  I have The Short Drop / Matthew Fitzsimmons which is a thriller that seems to go dead, I plow through those parts and then it revives and I can't read it fast enough.  Rise / Karina Bliss which I just started.  Still haven't finished Lone Star and City of Echoes / Robert Ellis is a thriller with a serial killer.  I must sit down with these Kindle reads and finish them!

Plus I started The Chihuahua Always Sniffs Twice / Waverly Curtis, always loved Pepe, can't get into him this time.  Black Beans and Vice / J B Stanley. the last of the series.  I was anxious to read it and now... GAH!  I really don't like when I get this way.   

Date Posted: 4/29/2016 9:50 AM ET

Happy Friday everyone!

I finished reading If I Run :: Terri Blackstock on Kindle last night.  I have read a few books by the author and enjoyed them but I'm conflicted on what to say about this one.  On the one hand, it was a good read even though it was told from two different peoples viewpoints. One person is Casey who found her best friend murdered and knew she would be blamed so she took off on the run.  The other viewpoint is from Dylan who has recently been discharged with PTSD. His job when serving was Criminal Investigations. The murdered victim was his best friend and his parents hire him to locate Casey.

If I had known how it was going to end, I probably wouldn't have read it. Guess that is one advantage to reading on a Kindle, not as easy to read the ending of the book before you get there. To me, it leaves you on a suspenseful cliff hanger.  It isn't advertised as a series but I'm hoping she writes something to conclude the story.

I guess I have officially gotten hooked on reading David Baldacci's books. Waiting on the new Amos Decker to come from the library and in the meantime have read two of the Will Robie's books and picked up the third one to read. I also got one of the John Puller series books and have the first Camel Club coming to me.  Wasn't going to read the Camel Club but I had picked up a short novella on Kindle that has Will Robie and Oliver Stone in it together as well as Oliver's team.  Liked their characters so thought I would give it a try.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 4/29/2016 10:03 AM ET

Cynthia, I took a peek at Fantasic Fiction and If I Run is listed as a novel not one of here series or the start of a series.  It seems like I've run into more than one book lately that has that not quite finished end.  I turn the page and think what?  One more page here!  Ifinished one the other day that I thought should have closed before the ast chapter.  lol

Date Posted: 4/29/2016 1:41 PM ET

Has been snowing like crazy since early morning, but not sticking yet.

Read In Bitter Chill/Sarah Ward.  A Brit police procedural that is a "debut" novel.  Thirty-six years before the novel begins. two 8-yr-old girls were abducted on their way to school.  One was found a few hours later, the other was never found.  When the book begins, the mother of the missing girls commits suicide on the anniversary of the abduction.  Then, a teacher at the girls' school is murdered.  This causes the police to take another look at the cold case.  The girl who escaped (with no memory of what happened) has become a geneologist and the mystery is finally solved thru geneology.  It was a bit slower read than some, but hope it is the beginning of a series.

Last Edited on: 4/29/16 5:45 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 4/29/2016 8:31 PM ET

I was looking at Terri Blackstock's FB page this afternoon and it seems like most of the commented were either asking about a second book or asking when it was coming out like they had seen a post from her that there was going to be one. I didn't look real hard but may check it later.

Think I will start The Target by Baldacci next.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 4/30/2016 11:45 AM ET

Sat down and said self, we're reading these books!

Crime and Poetry / Amanda Flower is proving to be not bad.  At this point there are some things that irritate me so I'm not mentioning them.  I am still reading The Lucifer Messiah / Frank Cavallo.  I'm not positive but I think a group thinks/knows Lucifer and all his evil has returned.  I didn't think he ever left with all that seems to happen.  On Kindle Bingoed which  I'm still not into.  The Short Drop / Matthew Fitzsimmons is in a dead zone right now.  Sigh.  Rise / Karina Bliss has a rock star as the MC, not into enough yet.  Working on City of Echoes / Robert Ellis red herrings abound.  I did finish  Lone Star.  James Dean died before Giant was complete.  He was in the movie until the end but there were things they wanted to retake.  Nick Adams did voice overs for him. 

Plus I started The Chihuahua Always Sniffs Twice / Waverly Curtis, always loved Pepe, can't get into him this time.  Black Beans and Vice / J B Stanley. the last of the series and somehow can't get into it either.  Maybe I don't want to finish the series.  wink

Date Posted: 5/1/2016 2:55 AM ET

Well, I read the first two of the Psy Changeling paranormal series.  If I had known how much torture and how many serial killers were going to be in this series I would never have touched it in the first place.  But now I am hooked and will continue the series.  I find the ongoing backstory of a society in upheaval and the coming collapse and revolution and alliances to be fascinating.  She has written a complex alternate world.  I am taking a break from it though and have started The Cuckoo Is Calling by Robert Galbraith.  I'm only a few chapters in but it has me hooked also.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 5/1/2016 5:35 AM ET

Yesterday was a good reading day.  Cool, rainy outside, warm and dry inside.  As a result

Crime and Poetry / Amanda Flower, Bingoed / Patricia Rockwell, The Short Drop / Matthew Fitzsimmons,  City of Echoes / Robert Ellis,  The Chihuahua Always Sniffs Twice / Waverly Curtis have all been completed!  I was further along on all of them than I realized!

Still reading The Lucifer Messiah / Frank Cavallo, Rise / Karina Bliss which is a romance between a rock star and his biographer.  They're not there yet but moving toward each other.  Black Beans and Vice / J B Stanley.

Down to three books!  Hooray!

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 5/1/2016 5:46 AM ET

It's May where is everyone?

May Flowers, what are you reading this month?

Page: