Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: It's April! Watcha Reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/14/2017 1:27 PM ET

I finished a historical mystery for the historical mystery challenge. A Play Of Dux Moraud (Joliffe, Bk 2) :: Margaret Frazer

I am using it in my special category of the middle ages.

It is about traveling ministrels in 1434 that their lord has asked them to look into a murder. Very good. Love the historical background and culter lesson for 1434. I enjoyed book 1 too.

Date Posted: 4/14/2017 9:00 PM ET

I am starting The Illusionist's Apprentice by Kristy Cambron.  I have 4 assignments to complete in the next 10 days and then its two weeks of blessed freedom from school to read whatever I want!

Date Posted: 4/17/2017 12:06 PM ET

I've started The Paris Winter by Imogen Robertson.  She is such a skilled writer I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Date Posted: 4/17/2017 2:12 PM ET

Dear Cheryl ---I have had that book on my wishlist since March 19th, 2014!!!  One of the ones I have had the longest.  I will be interested to see how you enjoy the book.  I always enjoyed the ones she wrote in the series about Crowther & Westerman.  For some reason she has evidently finished off that series.  Sometimes I just give up and purchase the book, but for some reason I did not this one.  It seems somewhere along the line someone said it was not up to snuff compared with the others in the series.  I will await your opinion!!

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/17/2017 3:29 PM ET

I am reading The Alchemist's Daughter (Bianca Goddard, Bk 1) :: Mary Lawrence.

It is set in 1543 England. Good so far. This book is my first by Mary Lawrence.

I am enjoying her writing style. Nice and crisp easy to read

Date Posted: 4/20/2017 9:23 PM ET

I just finished  the new C.S. Harris's Where the Dead Lie, this is the 12th book in this series.  Many series can become stale after so long but I love her St. Cyr books.

Alice The Ripper's Shadow looks good.

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/21/2017 6:57 AM ET

Jerelyn good to see you again. Ripper's Shadow was good.

I finished reading Murder at Roughpoint by Alyssa Maxwell. Another Newport mystery. Very good I enjoy this series

Date Posted: 4/21/2017 10:37 AM ET

Jerelyn --- WELCOME back Stranger!!!!  Great to see your name among us once again.  Always loved hearing your opinions on books.  I have that C.S. Harris book on Kindle and it may be my next one up.  I have sort of been saving it --- hate to read them too quickly, as it will be a while before the next one comes along!!

Date Posted: 4/21/2017 12:31 PM ET

Welcome back Jerelyn!!  I've finished up The Paris Winter by Imogen Robertson.  Becky:  My thoughts on that one will be over in the h/f challenge thread once I get everything organized in my head!  I will say that I rated it the best h/f read of my year thus far; 4.5 out of 5 stars.  Now I've moved on to Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear and I like it very much so far.

Date Posted: 4/21/2017 1:16 PM ET

Finished Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden.  It's a wonderful read about WWI and two young Cree men from Canada who join the army.  I don't remember who recommended this book but I do know that I ordered it as soon as  I learned about it.  The writing is so clear, flowing and enlightening that I felt like I was walking through the trenches with Xavier.  Not only does it depict the horror of that war but also its affect on the soldiers who survived.  The author links the cultural differences with the stresses of tragedy and death.  I put the next book by the author on my WL.  

Ah, Jerilyn, it's wonderful to see you back.  Missed your comments very much.  And, Cheryl, I like the Maisie Dobbs series.  Fun, fun reads.

Last Edited on: 4/22/17 1:16 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/22/2017 7:29 PM ET

Cheryl Maisie Dobbs is one of my all time favorite Historical mysteries I hope you emjoy it too.

Date Posted: 4/25/2017 1:37 PM ET

Alice:  I did enjoy Maisie Dobbs very much.  I haven't read much that takes place during that time period (World War 1 and the 20s) and I really enjoyed both the character of Maisie herself and the writing.  I had to order books 2 and 3 in the series; of course!  I'm not sure what's up in the reading queue next.

Last Edited on: 4/25/17 1:38 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 4/25/2017 4:33 PM ET

All this talk about Maisie Dobbs got me back to this series.  Just obtained In This Grave Hour from the library so here we go again. Thanks all!

Date Posted: 4/26/2017 9:23 AM ET

Now reading "The Strangler Vine" by M.J. Carter.  Another that was on my wishlist for over a year and I just bought it used.  Set during the height of the "Raj" in India --- 1837.  The East India Company truly overlording India. Just got started, but one of the main characters is a bit unorthodox and mysterious.  Think it will be a good one.

Finished "The Strangler Vine"!!!  It was 311 pages of very small type, but I did it within 24 hours!!!  As you all know, with no one around but the dogs and me, there are times I "do nothing" but read.  I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but I have a fascination for India.  We travelled there 2 times and I just loved it.  So this one was right up my alley.  There was much intrigue concerning The East India Company and much about how they truly tried to, and for much of the time succeeded, in taking over the nation.  There were bandits, murders, Indian Maharajahs abounding.  It is definitely not a cozy, however, there is no cursing nor sex!!  It may only appeal to a certain set of readers, but I was certainly one of those.

Last Edited on: 4/26/17 9:25 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 4/29/2017 10:42 PM ET

Hi everybody yes I am still around. Not reading as much as I used to, I miss you guys.

Becky I really liked The Strangler Vine too and The Infidels Stain, I haved gotten around too book three yet.

I will try to check in more often. ~~blows kisses~ bye-bye.

Page: