Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Religion & Spirituality

Topic: Asatru book recomendations

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Mindolin avatar
Subject: Asatru book recomendations
Date Posted: 10/12/2010 10:50 PM ET

Hello, any Heathens around that could suggest some good books on Asatru?  I have a few but am looking for some recomendations.  here is what I have read so far.

Essential asatru and taking up the runes by Diane Paxson

Gods and Myths of the Viking age by Ellis

thanks

Mike

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 6/17/2011 10:53 AM ET

I don't have any "Asatru" specific suggestion, but I do have books I would suggest if you are looking into Norse religions.  I'd suggest starting by reading the primary sources: the eddas and the sagas.  I'd also suggest reading secondary sources where people have done anthropological, historical, etymological, and cultural studies for more insight.  Many of these are available for free legally (since they are out of copyright) from sites, such as http://northvegr.org/ and http://sacred-texts.com/neu/ice/index.htm .  Pretty much anything you find on Northvegr can help you on your journey.

I'd suggest starting with what is called Prose Edda and the Poetic Edda.  Multiple translations of various Rune poems are a good idea to get more of an idea of what the Runes are about.

Books that are not available online that I'd suggest:
Nordic Religions in the Viking Age - Thomas A. Dubois
Everyday Life in the Viking Age - Jacqueline Simpson

Last Edited on: 7/3/11 2:08 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
brightstar avatar
Date Posted: 7/6/2011 8:38 PM ET

Some other good secondary sources:

Myth and Religion of the North: The Religion of Ancient Scandinavia by E. O. G. Turville-Petre

Dictionary of Northern Mythology by Rudolf Simek

Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland

shadowscout avatar
Date Posted: 1/27/2012 1:27 PM ET

The Sagas of the Icelanders is a good one as well as the Eddas (I prefer Poetic over Prose, personally).

Beowulf

Tyr vols. 1, 2, 3 ( full of articles on all sorts of different subjects related to Asatru and Heathenry)

Taking up the Runes by Diana Paxson

Runelore by Edred Thorrson (any of his books)

Swain Wodening's Hammer of the Gods is a classic on Anglo-Saxon heathenry also.

My apologies in advance if I misspelled any of the names of authors- half of my books are in boxes at the moment.

Mary

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/30/2012 2:57 PM ET

I'd be careful with the Edred Thorrson.  Some of his stuff is good and some of his other works are questionable.