Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: August Readings During Those Hot Days

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 8/23/2016 8:10 AM ET

I am reading All the Stars in the Heavens :: Adriana Trigiani

I enjoy Ms. Trigiani books. Nice writing style. This book is set in the Golden era of Hollywood. 1930s. Lovely read

Date Posted: 8/23/2016 8:30 AM ET

I finished Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel this morning and I enjoyed it very much.  Kelly, to be honest I have to say that there were a few times I had trouble figuring out who was speaking.  I gave the book four and a half stars rather than five because of it.  I think back to the Masterpiece Theater's mini series of this book and how much I enjoyed Mark Rylance's portrayal of Thomas Cromwell.  In my perfect fantasy world I would put him up against Paul Scofield's portrayal of Sir Thomas Moore in A Man For All Seasons and let the two of them have at each other.  What a battle royal I think that would be!  I'm starting Bring Up the Bodies which continues the story begun in Wolf Hall.

Date Posted: 8/23/2016 11:01 AM ET

Cheryl, I think you will find Bring Up the Bodies a little less confusing in terms of who is speaking. At least I did. I loved both books. And I love your thoughts atbout how the various portrayals of Thomas Cromwell and Thomas More are so conflicting.

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 8/27/2016 4:51 PM ET

I finished The Dutch Girl: Renegades of the American Revolution :: Donna Thorland

Very interseting set in 1778 New York. Anna is a spy working against the British. Brings in a lot of the old Dutch history. Good read.

Date Posted: 8/28/2016 7:18 PM ET

I finished Tatiana and Alexander by Paullina Simons, the second in a trilogy beginning with The Bronze Horseman.  It was soo good snd it was long but I can't help wondering what will happen in book three.  Does anyone know?   Guess I'll have to read the book to find out but I'd certainly like to hear what others thought about the series. 

Last Edited on: 8/29/16 12:09 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Page: