Baby Signs The Complete Starter Kit Author:Linda Acredolo Complete Starter Kit for Babies 6 to 24 months Developed by Linda Acredolo, Ph.D., and Susan Goodwyn, Ph.D. Do you ever wonder what your baby is thinking, or why he is crying? With these simple, easy-to-remember Baby Signs, your baby will be able to tell you his "joys and fears without tears." Newsweek The Baby Signs Comple... more »te Learning Kit is the proven, research-based learning kit from the women who started the infant sign language revolution. Baby Signs Helps Babies:
* Have fewer tantrums
* Learn to talk sooner
* Jumpstart intellectual development
* Build emotional awareness
* Develop a stronger bond with parents What are Baby Signs? Baby Signs are a system of simple gestures that parents and babies can use to communicate important things, like being hungry or thirsty, hot or cold, afraid or sad. Your baby will be able to tell you that hed like a favorite book read to him, or that its time to change his diaper. Does Baby Signs use American Sign Language? Yes. Baby Signs and ASL have many signs in common. However, 18 years of research has proven that the easier a sign is for a baby to make, the more likely they are to learn and use it successfully. The Baby Signs system uses ASL signs where appropriate for babies motor skills, and simpler "Baby Signs" gestures when ASL is too difficult for babies to do (or for parents to remember.) This simplicity, backed by years of research, is what has made "Baby Signs" such a tremendous international success. THE COMPLETE STARTER KIT This kit includes everything you need to learn about Baby Signs and begin signing with your baby:
* The Book: The culmination of two decades of Baby Signs research by leading child development experts Linda Acredolo, Ph.D., and Susan Goodwyn, Ph.D., "Baby Signs: How To Talk With Your Baby Before Your Baby Can Talk" was originally published in 1996 and is now available around the world in eight languages. This informative and delightfully written book provides parents with a step-by step program for using Baby Signs at home and includes easy-to-follow illustrations, nursery rhymes with signs, and answers to frequently-asked questions.163 pages.
* The Video: The first truly educational "video board book" for babies! Structured like the popular "Baby Mozart" series, this video uses colorful animation, babies and kids demonstrating signs, and wonderful music to teach your baby (and you) 40 Baby Signs. Watch it together and start learning right away! Running Time: 30 minutes
* The Quick Reference Guide: The perfect size to slip into a diaper bag or hang on the refrigerator door, this handy laminated guide demonstrates the 40 most useful Baby Signs. Great for sharing Baby Signs with caregivers, grandparents and babysitters.
* Ten Steps To Baby Signs Success: This laminated card will help you remember the basics of Baby Signs. THE STORY OF THE BABY SIGNS MOVEMENT: In 1982, Drs. Linda Acredolo and Susan Goodwyn began to notice that babies between the ages of eight and twenty-four months were spontaneously using simple gestures to stand for words they werent yet able to say. They might sniff for "flower," pant for "dog," or flap their arms for "bird." What would happen, Linda and Susan wondered, if parents simply helped the process along? Thus began a revolutionary breakthrough called Baby Signs and two decades of formal research. What they discovered was that babies understand much about the world around them, and are able and eager to communicate their desires, thoughts and feelings when given the proper tools! With Baby Signs, babies use simple gestures to make requests, express opinions, ask questions, even make jokes and puns! Linda and Susans findings were startling. Among the hundreds of babies theyve worked with, every single one was able to learn and use« less