Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - September Hot Topics

Topic: Begin discussion of Big Stone Gap

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/27/2012 3:44 AM ET
Ave Maria is named for the mysterious woman who took Ave Maria's mother under her wing. Do you see another meaning in Ave Maria's name? Does it tie in with her developing belief in destiny and fate?
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/27/2012 3:48 AM ET
I got nuthin for this one I think it's another one of those reaching questions but I'm interested in seeing what you all say.
okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 7/27/2012 2:48 PM ET

I don't know how much she comes to believe in destiny and fate, it seemed to me she or someone else worked pretty hard to get them all the places they ended up. It's been too long though, some of the details are starting to fade. Stupid memory. 

Ave's mother surely believed in the more spiritual aspect or she wouldn't have given her the name. I got the impression that mom thought the real Ave Maria that helped her was an angel, not a real person, and the child Ave Maria did not. Mom might have figured running into the angel was her destiny, how she ended up in the place she did to meet her husband. There was the coincidental factor to it, she didn't have much of a plan. Our Ave didn't really have that kind of thing happen that I remember. She was all about the planning and didn't leave much to chance. 

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/27/2012 8:08 PM ET

I'm with you Chris, a question that really is reaching.  I don't know.

craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/28/2012 9:55 AM ET

Question I had – What was the point of the story near the end of the book about the woman that jumped off the mountain in Italy committing suicide?  It seemed out of place to me, and I cannot fathom what it gave to the overall story.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/28/2012 8:40 PM ET
I don't remember much about the story but I got the idea that it was local folklore to illustrate the importance of their family.
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/29/2012 10:49 PM ET

14. Big Cherry Holler, Adriana Trigiani's next novel about the people of Big Stone Gap, jumps forward eight years into Ave Maria and Jack Mac's marriage. Knowing these two characters as you do, do you expect the path of true to love run smooth for them? What quirks do Ave Maria and Jack Mac bring to the relationship that could cause bumps or, conversely, even out the way?

I figure Ave will continue with over thinking and get herself into shenanigans when it comes to their relationship but it will all somehow work itself out in the end :P

okbye avatar
Barb S. (okbye) - ,
Date Posted: 7/30/2012 1:23 PM ET

I agree with Chris, lol. These aren't innovative books, they're gonna be the same ol' happy ending stuff. Ave's thinking will probably cause some kind of conflict. I think I saw somewhere they have a kid in the second book, that could give her some fodder to tweek on.

Page: