Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: Best Read of the Month for 2017. Comments and Star Rating

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Bonnie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/5/2017 3:24 PM ET

Gee, just realized that we are only one page this year.  I love this thread as it has allowed me to keep a record through the years.  Of course, a pad and pen would do the same...but without the comments.

vprosser avatar
Date Posted: 11/1/2017 7:08 PM ET

I know I'm sad this thread has dwindled down so much!

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 11/30/2017 8:19 AM ET

This has been an amazing book month for me.  So many blanks on my list, yet I have 3 4.5 star books this month.  For audio, I did listen to a great one, and have found a new favorite southern author, Rick Bragg.  I had some audio flops, too.  I am absolutely done with Fredrik Bachman.  Ove was the only one of his that I've enjoyed and I've tried 4 now.

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 12/24/2017 7:10 AM ET

Here is my list of best books of the year.  I had a few others that just barely missed the 5 star rating.  The Homesman made it both for audio and print, and I highly recommend either, both, and the movie.

Print books of the year: The Homesman by Glendon Swarthout  5 stars!    Goodnight Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian  5 stars!!

Audios of the year: Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman  5 stars!  The Homesman by Glendon Swarthout. 5 stars!  My Southern Journey by Rick Bragg  5 stars!

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Just a note.  I won't be doing this challenge anymore.  Of course, who knows if it will go for another year.

From almost too many pages to read, it has shrunk to a mere page with so little interest.

For those interested, Cindy P has this going in Games:  2018 Reading Challenge.

It can be whatever you want it to be for you.  Some very interesting challenges people are making for themselves.  I think I will just stick to what we've been doing here.  And when the mood strikes, I will be reading what others are doing.  Hope to see you there.  Cosmina...thanks for keeping this going for so long.

Last Edited on: 12/24/17 7:20 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
Page: