Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Cooking Cooking

Topic: are black eyed peas really necessary on New Years Day?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: are black eyed peas really necessary on New Years Day?
Date Posted: 1/1/2015 4:44 PM ET

I had some anyway just to be on the safe side.

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/2/2015 8:28 AM ET

Not really, really absolutely life-savingly necessary, in my opinion, but they taste good, so why not?  And anyway, the safe side is my preferred side.  My late father made a delishous hoppin' john that I sure miss.

Happy New Year, Charles, and y'all!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/2/2015 8:48 AM ET

I have lived in the South most of my life so I think I have southern ways. I have heard though that people in the North do not eat black eyed peas. They associate them with cattle feed which is what they do with them. You will sometimes hear them referred to as cow peas. This humble pea is not fit for human consumption. If they don't eat them that just leaves more for me.

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/2/2015 9:28 AM ET

I am up North-ish, and I know lots of people who eat peas and beans of all kinds.  Hmm, never heard of them referred to as cattle feed or cow peas.  But you're right, Charles, the those that don't leave more for the rest of us.  Which works for me!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/4/2015 12:19 PM ET

DH is not a fan of black-eyed peas, altho we are both born and bred southerners, and they are absolutely required on New Years!

BUT-----you can also marinate them in vinegar/lemon juice, with some onions and tomatos and garlic and jalapenos, and serve like a cold salad. (some people call this Texas caviar). Who says they have to be hot and soupy?!?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/4/2015 2:31 PM ET

my favorite is to cook some breakfast sausage and break the sausage up as it cooks and when it is cooked dump in a can of black eyes and simmer until hot. maybe a plate of cornbread on the side.

charoo avatar
Subject: Dip
Date Posted: 1/5/2015 9:54 AM ET

You could also make Pioneer Woman's Black Eyed Pea Dip.  It's pretty delicious and easy to put together.  

charoo

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/31/2015 4:02 PM ET

This year I will be having field peas instead of black eyes. I hope that will be okay.