Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: Book of the Month 2016 with comments and star rating.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 5/1/2016 10:32 AM ET

Charles, this is a yearly thread that goes back many years.  For monthly lists there is It's --- What Are You Reading.  This one has gone through changes, and was split in two last year for comments apart from lists.  Folks didn't care for the change.

Yes, this is supposed to be just our lists with comments now in the lists.  Occasionally one of us will post something at the end to "bump" the thread, and it serves to remind folks with lists that we are here and eagerly awaiting additions to their posts.

I would not want this changed into a monthly best of and then have to go digging through to get to the best of the year at the end.  As it is, and always has been, folks start their lists, but don't maintain them, so it really isn't all that long to follow I think.

ETA: Just a suggestion that might help, why don't you do like the rest and make a list that you update monthly rather than post individual months separately.  Might make it easier also for us to follow your year.

Last Edited on: 5/1/16 10:38 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 5/1/2016 11:04 AM ET

There are so many boards here to post in it's a little hard to remember where I have posted. I try to keep up with the classic lit board because that is probably my favorite area to read. The Contemporary lit board used to be much more active than it is now. There is no telling where I might post next. 

Date Posted: 6/29/2016 12:11 PM ET

Surprise, surprise, I posted my list already.  Great month for books, but I was taken aback and quite confused to see that my print book of June was already my pick for May...and the other 3 just didn't cut it.  Doula I quit just before the very end, and the newest Longmire was such a disappointment for me. 

Some good audios but the very best was a Midwife's tale of struggling to become a surgeon during the civil war.  I thought I knew A LOT about the CW, but these medical topics shocked even me.  Great narrator.  Oh, the book is My Name is Mary Sutter.  It is a novel.

Subject: Book of the Month 2016 with comments and star rating
Date Posted: 7/1/2016 4:43 PM ET

JANUARY -
"AFTER YOU" by JoJo Moyes (Me After You #2) (A++++++) This books deals with a man who has become a quadrapalegic and the young woman who has been hired to be a companion and help him with his daily routine. He doesn't want to live this way and she tries to convince him he's wrong.

FEBRUARY -
"INDECENT PROPOSAL" by Molly O'Keefe (Boys of Bishop #4) (book that I won in a contest from the author) (A++++++)

MARCH -
"RAINWATER" by Sandra Brown (unabridged audio CD) (A+++++) The year is 1934. With the country in the stranglehold of drought and economic depression, Ella Barron runs her Texas boardinghouse with an efficiency that ensures her life will be kept in balance. She also cares for her ten-year-old son, Solly, a sweet but challenging child whose misunderstood behavior finds Ella on the receiving end of pity, derision and suspicion. David Rainwater arrives at the house looking for lodging but Ella senses that admitting him will bring about unsettling changes. However, times are hard, so Mr. Rainwater moves in...and impacts her life in ways Ella could never have foreseen. The chances are echoed by the turbulence beyond the house walls. Friends and neighbors now face financial ruin and in an effort to save their families from homelessness and hunger, are forced to make heartrending choices. The climate of desperation creates a fertile atmosphere for racial tensions and social unrest. Conrad Ellis - privileged and spoiled and Ella's nemesis since childhood - steps into this arena of teeming hostility to exact his vengeance and demonstrate the extent of his blind hatred and unlimited cruelty. He and his gang of hoodlums come to embody the rule of law and no one in Gilead, Texas, is safe. Particularly Ella and Solly. In this hotbed of uncertainty, Ella finds Mr. Rainwater a calming presence. Slowly, she begins to rely on his soft-spokenness, his restraint and the steely resolve of his convictions. And on the hottest, most violent night of the summer, those principles will be put to the ultimate test.

APRIL -
"BEACH TOWN" by Mary Kay Andrews (A+++++)

MAY -
"ALL CHAINED UP" by Sophie Jordan (Devil's Rock #1) (New Author For Me) (A++++++) 
"HEAD OVER HEELS" by Sam and Jenny Bailey (New Author For Me) (audio CD) (A+++++) Sam Bailey wanted a life on the land just like his father. He had it all planned - he'd finish his education, have a few years in the big wide world and then return home to take the reins from his dad, get married and raise a family. His own version of the Australian dream. But when the car Sam was travelling in overturned on a lonely country road one Sunday afternoon, leaving him a quadriplegic, Sam discovered that in a split second your life can change forever, in ways that you never imagined. Head Over Heels is more than the story of how Sam conquered his disability through sheer tenacity and the unstinting support of family, friends and doctors. It is a captivating romance. The day Sam met Jenny, an ABC rural journalist, he discovered love can come from the most unexpected places and overcome all boundaries. 

JUNE -
"ONE BREATH AWAY" by Heather Gedunkauf (New Author For Me) (A++++++) In the midst of a sudden spring snowstorm, an unknown man armed with a gun walks into an elementary school classroom. Outside the school, the town of Broken Branch watches and waits. Officer Meg Barrett holds the responsibility for the town's children in her hands. Will Thwaite, reluctantly entrusted with the care of his two grandchildren by the daughter who left home years earlier, stands by helplessly and wonders if he has failed his child again. Trapped in her classroom, Evelyn Oliver watches for an opportunity to rescue the children in her care. And thirteen-year-old Augie Baker, already struggling with the aftermath of a terrible accident that has brought her to Broken Branch, will risk her own safety to protect her little brother. As tension mounts with each passing minute, the hidden fears and grudges of the small town are revealed as the people of Broken Branch race to uncover the identity of the stranger who holds their children hostage.

JULY -

Date Posted: 7/5/2016 9:40 PM ET

My Name is Mary Sutter is one of my favorite books.  I have read it twice and listen to the audio CDs last year.  Fascinating information about the medical practices of the era and how the war changed so much about medical care.

Date Posted: 8/22/2016 10:12 AM ET

Finally updated for July.  Hate being behind like this.  Had a terrific reading month and posted 2 each print and audio, though truly, could have posted more I would consider favorites.

Date Posted: 9/27/2016 8:53 AM ET

Well, updated early again.  What a thrill.  I really enjoy your lists and hope you keep adding to them.

Date Posted: 9/27/2016 9:24 PM ET

I updated and added reviews to my list. Funny but this year nonfiction outweighs the fiction. Unusual for me.

Date Posted: 11/8/2016 10:04 PM ET

Bumping it up because I couldn't find it right away.

Date Posted: 12/13/2016 11:56 PM ET

How it is supposed to work is that each of us has one posting place and we add each month our favorite books.  that keeps it from getting too 'long'.  there is another thread for the discussion of each month and what we are reading.  Mostly I am writing this to bump this up and remind everyone to add the last couple of months to their pages.  I sure got a lot of good book recommendations this year.  Thanks.

Date Posted: 12/28/2016 4:24 PM ET

Finally updated.  Was shocked to see that September was my last update.  I recalled October but not November's books.  Will keep thinking and be back to choose my books of the year.

Date Posted: 12/29/2016 10:27 AM ET

I too just updated my list since August. I don't like when other people don't keep up, but I'm just as guilty.

I'll do better next year.

Date Posted: 1/1/2017 8:46 AM ET

Determined not to start this year without finishing last year's thread.  I just wrote:

So many 4 and 4.5 stars that I just cannot pick a print book of the year...though I think it might be   the judas field by Howard Bahr and The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman.  (If you love the show Call the Midwife, you will love this.)

For audio, a tie:  On Agate Hill by Lee Smith and My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira. Both 5 stars.

Date Posted: 1/4/2017 1:23 PM ET

For my book of the year, I am going with my "tie" from August: 

The Girl with All the Gifts :: M. R. Carey

and 

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore :: Robin Sloan

I read them back to back and they are completely different in so many ways, while at the same time, both dealing with having hope for the future. I really enjoyed them together.

Date Posted: 1/4/2017 10:08 PM ET

I chose the last pick I read as my favorite for the year -- but it was in close competition with the first pick of the year. I find it interesting that the two I really weighed in on as my book of the year were read at the first and last months.  

Page: