Discussion Forums - Money Saving Tips Money Saving Tips

Topic: Book Packaging Savings tip

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 10/20/2014 9:13 PM ET

i recycke every package i can.  but i'm starting to not do that so much on the DVD side of the house, as it is cheaper to just use paper wrapping and go first class.  With books, they are usually all already MM prices anyway.

Date Posted: 11/14/2014 5:46 PM ET

I've used thicker calendar pages, it's neat to send something pretty in the mail. I also collect expired promotional posters from music and art venues, my local university community post boards, and coffee shops. They tend to be thicker, and usually have neat art. 

Date Posted: 11/14/2014 6:02 PM ET

nice!

Philip (wingate) - ,
Date Posted: 12/20/2014 5:39 AM ET
Bought via Ebay, poly mailers can be pretty darned cheap, like a few pennies per bag. I slip the book in a mailer, add a return address sticker, hand write the address with a Sharpie, tape the ends that might be loose to tighten it up, and tape over the address to be sure no bleeding. If under 13 Oz I either put self stick stamps on there or tape a piece of paper with gummed stamps adhered to the package. If it's over 13 I might print postage instead of the above. And I reuse packaging that comes into the house, but only buy but tape and poly mailers.
Date Posted: 12/20/2014 9:52 AM ET

do you have self stick stamps that add up to the exact amount?  I wish I had an APC near here, to make Media mail ones.  It costs more to print it on here, because you CAN'T just print the postage.  I suppose I could do it on USPS... but that only one at a time, when I have the requestor's address.  An APC I could get a few at a time.

Date Posted: 12/25/2014 1:13 AM ET

I love this board! T-T

Subject: Phillip Question
Date Posted: 12/26/2014 11:13 PM ET

You have a link to those mailers???

Subject: Bulk Shipping Advantages
Date Posted: 3/19/2015 1:36 AM ET

For several years I've sent LOTS of single and especially multiple book orders out. For multiple orders I'm always asking the "buyer" to look for more book on my shelf at an extra 3 books for each extra credit, 4 for 2, 7 for 3, 10 for 4, etc. Why? Because Media Mail rates are expensive for the first pound but really cheap for each extra pound sent. Since about 10 pb books can be about 2 pounds, that means it's only 48c for the next 3 credit. The average credit costs me about $1.25 over all. If you search my name in the Book Bazaar you'll find several book ads I run all the time as an example of what you can do for more books and activity.

Subject: Shipping Down to a Science
Date Posted: 3/19/2015 1:49 AM ET

I do this for 1 to about 6 books as long as they form an even pile. I wrap them in a couple of tight layers of plastic wrap. That makes them water tight AND solid. Then I print out both pages of the Shipping Label. Usually for one book I only need the one page. If I need more I tape the pages together to ultimately make wrapping paper for the book pack. I use "second sidescrap" paper. When done, it's strong, watertight and secure.

If I need a box, I get a FREE Priority Package box from the Post Office. Once it's filled, I wrap the box in the above paper to hide what it is and send it out legally as Media Mail.

Date Posted: 3/19/2015 9:21 AM ET

Ken, be careful with that.  If the post office opens your package for inspection, they will find the Priority packaging underneath.  They will then treat it as such and charge the recipient the remaining price due.  It's not legal, according to them, to do that.  Hey I don't agree but I'm just letting you know.  I use the Priority boxes a lot at home, for wrapping Christmas pkgs, etc.

Date Posted: 3/19/2015 9:28 AM ET

ischivalrydead,

This is very true, They are inspecting packaging more than ever these days. I constantly get books wrapped in paper with a nice tear in it and complained to my post office and they said it was because they were checking the contents of the packaging thoughtout the system. That's why I highly recommend that members put a piece of plastic around the book. It would be nice if they would put a little piece of packing tape to cover the tear they make, so the wrapper don't tear any worse thoughtout the shipping process.

Date Posted: 3/19/2015 9:41 AM ET

if that is what they tell you, then tell them you will file a complaint that they damaged the package.  your proof is that they told you they opened it to inspect.  It is now their responsibility to fix it.

Date Posted: 3/25/2015 9:00 PM ET

Or you can reuse cushioned envelopes from books you receive.

Date Posted: 3/26/2015 9:55 AM ET

the big wrapper I got from Kohl's that had my 2pr jeans is going to cover 4-5 books, easy!

Date Posted: 3/30/2015 4:34 PM ET

Please be careful using bags that have had food in them. I'd go as far to say please don't.

There's likely to be food remnants inside, and even if there isn't, I shouldn't have to worry about a food allergy when unwrapping a book!

Date Posted: 3/31/2015 10:06 AM ET

Last Edited on: 4/24/15 2:45 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 4/5/2015 1:34 AM ET

I should not have to have an RC that says "No food bits in the books". 

It may or may not be an allergen.

It certainly is a bug attractor!

Date Posted: 4/5/2015 2:24 PM ET

Last Edited on: 4/8/15 1:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 9/28/2015 11:15 PM ET

These are really good ideas. I don't own a printer and I find printing labels to be ridiculous anyway since I don't use printable postage. I do use bubble mailers (I buy them in bulk, in different sizes) and re-use the ones sent to me. But it sounds like I could also stand to get a little creative with my packaging! I never thought of things like paper bags, calendar pages, etc.

Date Posted: 7/1/2016 10:21 PM ET

I have found that the plastic bag that my newspaper comes in is just the right size for a paperback book. I slip my books into one of them, wrap the excess plastic around the book and tape it shut. It makes a very good, waterproof packaging for the book.

Date Posted: 10/27/2016 7:26 PM ET

My grandmother collected stamps in the 60s. I guess when something new came out she would buy a block of 4 stamps. I inherited all this about 30 years ago, stuck it in a drawer and just pulled it out a couple months ago. I looked on Ebay and saw most of the blocks listed for about $1. Oooh, I thought. Took the whole thing to a couple stamp dealers. "Eh" they said. "Too much work to list it, you can try if you want, you might sell a couple. Just use it as postage."  And they were right, so now when I mail a book I stick as many 5 cent stamps as will fit on it. Saves about 60 cents a book.

Date Posted: 2/15/2017 12:47 PM ET

I always reuse envelopes sent to me.  They multiply like bunnies in my garage...

But, I love the idea of calendar pages!!!

Subject: We should keep track of packaging!
Date Posted: 2/18/2017 12:04 AM ET

I enjoy seeing how far individual books "travel" and I am a HUGE fan of reusing any possible packaging. Today, I had the best PBS package yet - my book came in a regular bubble wrap envelope, the goldenrod colored one. I carefully began removing the address label, as I always do to prepare it for reuse in the future, and disovered two previous PBS wrappers under my name! So this one envelope has already been used 3 times and I will reuse it eventually. It started in NY (from what I can tell, maybe even before) : NY to VA, VA to IN, IN to NV (me).  I love the clever and "green" uses here and appreciate that PBS members seem to all be concerned with both being frugal and sharing the experience.

Subject: Plastic Bags to cover books
Date Posted: 3/14/2017 4:41 PM ET

I have picked up from work some plastic bags that cups are shipped in.  I also take the bubble wrap for shipping out other items.  I use the bags to wrap up my books and put them on the shelf. Keeps them dust free and ready to mail.  I also found on Amazon bag mailers. This is a cheaper way of mailing out books without needing a lot of tape to do an envelope.  I have the book waterproof and ready to mail. Shipping tape is one thing I go through a lot.  I also use to buy bulk mailers.  Some I do reuse and pick up free boxes at the post office if flat rate is cheaper to send stuff.

Page: