Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - June Hot Topics

Topic: Book restrictions

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Book restrictions
Date Posted: 6/1/2011 11:59 AM ET

I just wanted someplace to vent. I don't mind book restrictions like not from smoking homes or cat homes where people may have allergies or breathing problems, however I feel like the book club in general sets good criteria for book condition. The books received have always been in readable condition. Some of the books wear out after either I or my wife read them and we have to file them in the circular file. It isn't many maybe one out of fifteen or twenty. What I don't like is people who want books but state no lines on the binding, only books in like new condition etc.......                             Most of my books are new and only read once, I just dont want to send them to unreasonable people, so I have been stating that they may not meet the conditions specified, I would rather sent the books to readers like myself who are happy with any book that meets the clubs standards recognizing the occationally I will be the person who wears that book out. Just curious, is there anyone else who feels the same way or am I out on a limb being a bit crazy?

kjk avatar
Date Posted: 6/3/2011 2:24 PM ET

Nope, not too crazy. I think most of us are after readable books. I know I am. I always wonder as I click the "may not meet conditions" button how many books these folks actually receive. Also wonder if they are that fussy of if they are reselling. Don't worry about them- they worry about themselves enough for everybody!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/13/2011 1:04 PM ET

I totally agree with you..I'm in venting mood myself!  I'm tired of picky people too..these are "used" books and you are getting them for free, someone else is paying postage for you and you have nerve to say the book has a "bent" cover or a crease?  I receive books like that and have no problem with them as long as there is no writing or page tears...but twice now i've sent the books back out just as i received them and received complaints..i'm tired of getting ripped off. neither book did not meet the book club standards but yet they have nerve to complain..geesh..can't get a break!  as for anyone that has posted conditions..i just simply wont mail to them cause they honestly scare me..lol..

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/24/2011 11:44 PM ET

I agree with you and I am crazy, 

Books that are read are used and passed on. People that want the books because they are selling them elsewhere want them in new condition. Keep your books and pass them on to the worthy person with no conditions.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/3/2011 4:41 PM ET

I refuse to send to people who want "no lines" on the binding or "new" books.  Many of my books have only been read once and in "new" or "like new" condition, but I'm not going to take the chance of losing a credit over somebody that's overly picky.

starvinArtist avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/3/2020 2:25 PM ET

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/p960x960/101382208_3062190047196112_9098698439151058944_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=pRGxJoS9tHkAX9oHd-z&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=b1a61f843efb7af4ac704aa57284d348&oe=5EFE643E