Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Book transaction cancel??

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Sianeka avatar
Sianeka - ,
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: Book transaction cancel??
Date Posted: 11/26/2007 12:25 PM ET

I have one of my books requested, but the requestor has a no smoke smell condition.  I bought this book used, so I don't know if it was exposed to smoking conditions.  It doesn't smell like smoke to me, but the requestor might have a more sensitive nose than I.  Also, HC is missing dust jacket.

So, I accepted the request, because as far as I can tell, no smoke smell. But I PM'd the person to let them know about the book and also about missing dustjacket.

If the requestor doesn't want my book after all, should I just let the request time out by not marking it mailed by the deadline?  That will put the requestor back on the WL for the book at his former place in line, I believe, but how will that affect my book's place in the sendout order?  Does it go back to where it was in line, or will the system delete my book and I'll have to repost and start over in line?

What's the best way to handle this if they want to cancel, now that I've accepted (since book does seem to meet requestor's conditions, and I needed to get requestor's PM info to contact them) and said I could mail?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/26/2007 12:40 PM ET

I'd say it's up to the requestor to cancel if they decide not to accept the book.  Unless the conditions specifically said that they wouldn't accept books that had any chance of having been exposed to smoke, most people that have that condition just want one that doesn't obviously smell of smoke or come from a smoking household currently.

I think if you cancel or let it time out on your end, you do have to repost it and lose your place in FIFO.

hugbandit7 avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 11/26/2007 12:44 PM ET

the dust jacket is NOT required so unless their RC said hardbacks had to have the DJ I think you should be ok to send.  But it is good to at least ask the question on the smoking, most of the time they are requesting currently non smoking households (which is what I request). 

If they do not want the book, they should cancel (as long as you haven't hit print wrapper yet) but then I'm not sure how that affects them in their standing.  I do know if you end up cancelling you can't repost your book until they receive a copy which makes it tough because it might be a book that isn't readily available.

Sianeka avatar
Sianeka - ,
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/26/2007 12:56 PM ET

oooh, I didn't know I wouldn't be able to repost my book until they get a copy if I let it time out without hitting "mailed" button...

I thought I'd let it time out because I didn't want them to lose their place in WL line and was afraid if I make them cancel, they will lose their place in line and I didn't want that to happen to them.  I don't want to lose my place in the book sendout line, either, though, if possible, although I might be willing to do that.  But I don't want to not be able to repost my book at all till the sender gets a copy - who can tell when that will be??

So, the concensus here is that I should tell the person to cancel on their end if they don't want the book after all?  How does that affect their WL standing?

hugbandit7 avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 11/26/2007 1:06 PM ET

I believe it takes them out of the WL and they go to the end once they add it back.  Is it a heavily WL'd book?

hopefully they will reply to you and say to send the book and everyone is happy!

it is spelled out in the Help docs about accepting a book and then cancelling....I was going from memory but pretty sure you couldn't repost if you cancelled until they get a copy....but won't swear to it!

Here is some of the info from the help docs

If you request a book and change your mind, but cannot cancel because the sender has already printed the address:

• The sender is not obligated to cancel if you request this
    • if the book has already been mailed in good faith, of course the sender should not cancel.  You will have to mark the book received when you receive it and repost it to your own bookshelf if you don't want it.
    • If the sender cancels, he or she will have to repost the book, and it will go back to the "back of the line" for book requests. 
  • If the sender DOES agree to cancel, and there is another copy of the book in the system, your request will be passed to a new sender when the first sender cancels! 
    • You should be sure to cancel the new request for the book that will appear on your account page after the sender cancels.
    • The PBS system will automatically keep trying to get the book for you until YOU tell the system that you don't want it by clicking "Cancel Order".
Sianeka avatar
Sianeka - ,
Date Posted: 11/26/2007 2:19 PM ET

I don't want the requestor to lose their place in WL line, so if they don't want it, I'll cancel and repost it when I can.  From my understanding of the system, I will be the one to lose my place in line (well, my book will...) so requestor won't lose anything.  I'd hate to lose my place if I was requestor.

Then, I'll try to repost right away.  If system won't take it, I'll just wait to repost it again at another date, and will post on other sites as well.  It's a Harry Potter hardback in the middle of the series, so hopefully it won't take too long to get back to the top of the sendout list...

Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/26/2007 2:39 PM ET

Only one of you is in line.  If it is a wishlisted book, the requestor is in line.  If it is not wishlisted, the sender is in line.  It's nice if the person who is not in line cancels the request.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/26/2007 8:30 PM ET

If the person doesn't want the book and it's a WL book they should accept and then you decline.  They will keep their place in line.  When you repost the book it should go to the next person in line. If it goes to the same person decline based on requestor condtions. They retain their place in line and it'll get offered to the next person.