Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: If you have a book on your WL and it comes up....

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: If you have a book on your WL and it comes up....
Date Posted: 8/30/2017 7:19 PM ET

and for whatever reason you decide you no longer want it, do you just let it time out or do you immediately decline the request? There seem to be a lot of time-outs recently and not all seem to be from people who have possibly opted out of PBS.

Date Posted: 8/30/2017 8:00 PM ET

I would never let it time out if I didn't want it anymore. Maybe some of those don't have a credit available.

Date Posted: 8/31/2017 2:08 AM ET

I would always select the Not Now button. Timing out is bad. Too many and your account appears to be abandoned to PBS.

That said, the junk mail filter from my service provider seems to be updated every month or two. PBS often gets in the filter as the provider fights against the ever smarter spam.

Date Posted: 8/31/2017 2:57 PM ET

I don't let them time out, if I don't want it I just do Not Now or Decline it.

Date Posted: 8/31/2017 4:44 PM ET

I've heard a lot of members not getting their e-mails in a timely manner. (Not because of PBS) Their Wish times-out and they're upset because they waited a long, long time on the book. 

Now, because of Harvey, I can guess that there may be many, many more members unable to respond in a timely manner.

So there can be many reasons why books time-out. Life happens!

I will take the book right away if I have a lot of credits.   I'll wait till the last second if I'm out of credits and I'm waiting for the PO to mail my books.

Last Edited on: 8/31/17 4:47 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 9/1/2017 6:45 PM ET

What is frustraing is when you hit "yes" and then the person who listed the book never responds...they just listed it! I had that happen recently and not only wanted the item offered, but added 2 more to the order recently and the person let all 3 requests time out.  Have had this happen several times...something gets newly listed and they never response.  And yes, I try to always respond to wish list requests in a timely manner just out of courtesy so if there is someone else in line they can get notified. 

Date Posted: 9/1/2017 7:16 PM ET

Last Edited on: 9/1/17 7:16 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 9/1/2017 8:20 PM ET

It has happened to me multiple times in the past 2 months.  Perhaps they are unaware they are posting WL books?

Date Posted: 9/3/2017 1:20 AM ET

Perhaps they are unaware they are posting WL books?

Could be. When I first joined, I was disheartened. I posted many books that were WL books and spent a goodly amount of money mailing them. With no immediate pay off. I honestly thought that I had been scammed. These days, you can add titles to your BIR list or TBR list to see if they are wish listed before posting them, but new members may not realize this.

What is frustraing is when you hit "yes" and then the person who listed the book never responds...they just listed it!

Maybe not. I've posted books with many wishers. And they've scrolled through many members before finally being accepted. In those cases I didn't just list the title. It had scrolled through and timed out over multiple members for weeks. Sometimes, during those weeks of waiting for someone to accept the book, real stuff happens: DH had a stroke and my appendix blew up. We were both hospitalized for a week. PBS wouldn't have been on my radar then and the book would have timed out over 48 hours. We've lost power for more than two days during winter storms, etc. You can be offered a WL book, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was just posted into the system.

Date Posted: 9/4/2017 9:59 AM ET

I'd use the not now button usually. Recently I was offered  a WL book which I'd just ordered off my RL---it had shown up on my daily digest that day. In that instance I declined the WL offer and waited for the one already on order from my RL.

Date Posted: 9/4/2017 11:46 AM ET

I check to see if the member was brand new. If all the books on their shelf are just listed. I have much more forgiveness for a new member who did not realize that their books were wanted for immediate shipping.

Seen too many new members surprised by this. Then realizing that the books they want have wish lists.

Have also seen mistakes when folks are trying to post to a specific member.