Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: Busy November - what are you reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 11/28/2016 2:06 PM ET
DeLeon, Jana

Is now out.  The iBook is delayed but I'll have my book Thursday! 
Date Posted: 11/28/2016 8:51 PM ET

Good for you Geri --- you will certainly have no trouble finding someone ready to read it when you are finished.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 11/29/2016 7:45 AM ET

And, thanks to a couple of friends here on PBS and some terrific discounts on books I now have a TBR of 12 tree books!  Well, I put my hands on one of them yesterday and I'm almost finished with it.  Better Late Than Never / Jenn McKinlay.

Date Posted: 11/29/2016 9:44 AM ET

Since arriving in Oklahoma in October 2015, I have pretty much read nothing but Kindle books.  This past August when I finally left my mother's, I took my wishlist off hold and a few have trickled in.  It seems unbelievable, but I have books on there from 2013!!!  Guess I do not really need them at this point do I???  Soon I think I will sort them by request date and either buy or delete some of those long ago wishes.  I know there are a few that I still want, but just rarely come up as a trade.  I believe they are so difficult to find that some folks keep the series on their "forever" shelves and do not let them go.  As you all likely know by now, I have no "forever" shelf.  Once read, off they go to make another reader happy.  Guess if I had an autographed copy of "Gone with the Wind" I would keep it --- short of that not so much.  I do not re-read books and should I decide to, there is likely a copy floating around somewhere!!!

Date Posted: 11/29/2016 9:47 AM ET

My only "keeper" book is a personalized autographed one from Sharon Kay Penman - and that's pretty much it.

Date Posted: 11/29/2016 10:09 AM ET

Geri - how is Better Late Than Never?  After the last one, I had about decided to give up on that series cause it irritated me so much. Got tired of the love triangle thing that was going on.

Years ago I kept all my books until we had to move and then I got rid of most of them. I still have some but only because I haven't decided what to do with them.

I've read a few over the last couple of weeks:  Cheddar Off Dead by Julia Buckley which I loved, No Mans Land by David Baldacci which was very good, Split Second (King & Maxwell #1) by David Baldacci which I liked. Now reading Hour Game (King & Maxwell #2). Lots of twists to it.

Also reading at work The Raven by Mike Nappa. Read his first one Annabel Lee and liked it a lot.  They are a series about a Coffey & Hill Detective Agency. Coffey/Hill used to be married but divorced. Coffey found out in the first book that he was CIA along with some other things which split them  up. Now he is a detective with Atlanta police.  It is a Christian fiction series. Only thing I'm not totally crazy about in this one is that the story is being told from about 5 different people. Easy to follow but still a lot of views to take in.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 11/29/2016 12:04 PM ET

Better Late Than Never is a bit slow.  Repeating things and strolling down the street reflecting on how nice the weather is.  I've skipped ome of those parts.  In no way revelant to the story.  I actually picked up Web of Evil / J A Jance which has terrible reviews and I'm more into it than Better Late.  I might be at a point where it's going to pick up.  It seems like I'm reading forever and just checked.  Page 50 - do or die!  lol

I have 12 keepers.  I've had them since I was 10 when I received the set for Christmas.  Classics and believe it or not until recently those were the only books I had ever received as a gift.  In th rpast I kept every book.  When we moved to this house they came with.  Then a flood in the basement got many of them wet.  They books that were nt affected got packed up and donated to the pitiful library we have.  Since PBS, like Becky, I get 'em, I read 'em and they're out of here!  It really is freeing.  

Becky I periodically go through my wish list and if the price isn't unreasonable get either the Kindle or a copy from Amazon - where ever I find an inexpensive copy.  

Date Posted: 11/29/2016 3:15 PM ET

Geri --- Well, when I should have been working around here, I went thru the wishlist --- did actually delete some due to lack of interest!!  Ordered 3 from Abe's Books when I discovered that each series had a new book either in print or about to be!!!  In each case Abe's was a few cents to a few dollars less than Amazon.  The Kindle books of all three were still in the $9.99 to $15.99 range --- rather pay $5 for a paper one that I can send along to some of the other wishers whom have been waiting for a year or just less!!!  Some of my "random" wishlist books come from the SYKM newsletter --- I read their review, think it might be good, add to wishlist and then months later seem not so interested!!!  However, oft times their reviews are spot on and I get the book and enjoy it!!!

Jeanne --- there is a new book on the way in the Liberty Lane series in 2017, also in the Thomas de Quincey series by David Morrell (the last in the series, so says he), and I finally gave in and ordered the latest (2013) book in the Inspector McLevy series by David Ashton.  Also, Ashton has a new series, 2 books thus far, main character is Jean Brash --- have you tried the first one???  Second is out next year.  Found all this on Fantastic Fiction!!!

Date Posted: 11/30/2016 5:47 AM ET

As I was telling Becky on the Challenge Discussion page, I had picked up High Country, Nevada Barr and started to read it, forgetting that I wasn't supposed to read a Challenge book until January 1. I put it down, then checked my shelf and found that I have another of Barr's books, Blood Lure, also set in the mountains. So I finished High Country. The first few pages were a big slow, but it picked up, and had a great chase scene about three-quarters of the way through. And that wasn't the end. MC Anna Pigeon, park ranger, was undercover in Yosemite Park trying to find out what happened to four young people who all went missing the same day. In the process she gets pretty battered, but gives as good as she gets, and of course solves the mystery.

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/30/2016 6:43 AM ET

I started a very good Historical Mystery last night Blade of the Samurai (Shinobi, Bk 2) :: Susan Spann

It is set in 1565 Japan. Story is around a samurai and Portuguese Jesuit Priest. Good glimpse into Japanse history with an intriguing mystery. Start with book 1 in the series though (Clawas of the Cat).

Alice

Date Posted: 12/2/2016 9:54 AM ET

December Thread

Page: