Discussion Forums - Cooking Cooking

Topic: canning

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: canning
Date Posted: 7/22/2010 9:49 AM ET
Member Since: 2/27/2008
Posts: 1,157
Back To Top

I have a new pressure cooker , primarily for canning, and the instruction booklet indicates that I should get the pressure meter tested before use, then yearly. Where? Why? Debbie

Date Posted: 8/23/2010 3:50 PM ET
Member Since: 3/13/2009
Posts: 225
Back To Top

IMO, that can be filed under, "yea, whatever".  I suppose you could hook it to a source of known pressure somehow to check it.  Does it have a valve on it that you could put something like a tire pressure gauge on and compare that reading to the dial?

Date Posted: 8/27/2010 11:38 AM ET
Member Since: 11/22/2005
Posts: 11
Back To Top

I have my pressure guage checked at the County Cooperative Extension Service.  Also, if you have a local appliance repair shop they may be able to test it for you.

Date Posted: 4/11/2011 5:27 PM ET
Member Since: 2/20/2006
Posts: 730
Back To Top

Ditto what Kathy said - Cooperative Extension always did this. You only have to take the top, not the whole canner.  Of course mine was checked about 20 years ago and I haven't thought about it since!  So how necessary this is for a new one, I can't say. Mine was my mother's and is almost as old as I am!     I'm wondering how it went, Deb.

Last Edited on: 4/11/11 7:47 PM ET - Total times edited: 1