Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Going Green Going Green

Topic: Canvas Bags

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
pjmom8025 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 5/19/2011 9:45 PM ET

I love Whole Foods bags and if one of them wears out, they will replace it. I had one that got a tear in the bottom corner. I just handed it to them and they gave me a new one.

I just cleaned out my trunk which is full of canvas /recycled bags. I have a ton. I live alone now and would love to hand off a few. If anyone is interested, pm me.

I have a couple of really large IKEA bags which are just taking up room in my trunk. I forgot to bring in my own bags when I went there today. I was looking for one small item which I didn't find, but bought 

$25 worth of their Scandanavian foods....then realized that I had to buy a bag to get it all in my car.

t

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/5/2011 12:44 AM ET

Thanks Diane R. (pjmom8025) the recycle bags!  I will put them to good use!

prudishbunion avatar
Subject: Bags
Date Posted: 6/7/2011 1:00 PM ET

I have three bags from Flip 'n Tumble that I use all the time.  They are rip-stop nylon with long shoulder straps to keep hands free.  They each hold about as much as a brown paper grocery bag. TheyI fold into themselves kind of like a pair of socks to make a ball the size of a small orange.  I keep them in my purse so they are handy all the time for lots of uses. I love them...

pjmom8025 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 8/19/2011 3:20 PM ET

We are cleaning out my parents house and my mother had quite a few Lands End canvas totes in a variety of sizes. I threw them in my trunk and have found thatI can carry some heavy stuff home in them. I have taken them to the farmers market and have loaded up. The best part, if something leaks, I can throw in the laundry. I only dry them 1/2  way because they do shrink a bit

Last Edited on: 8/19/11 3:20 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 9/28/2011 7:59 AM ET

I bought a few cloth bags from our grocery store years ago, but have gotten most for free, many in the mail from charities (at least they weren't those stupid address labels!). My gripe is that they usually hold a lot more than the plastic bags did and so the stores pack way too much in them for my bad back.  I don't always remember to ask them to "pack light', but I make sure any milk or beverages don't go into a bag at all (since they have handles, it's easier to carry them alone anyway).

Last Edited on: 9/28/11 7:59 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Susanaque avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Cloth bags
Date Posted: 12/1/2011 3:46 PM ET

I work at the local walmart and we go through the plastic bags....for a say, $200 order i can go through 10-12 bags+ the larger things i don't put in bags, such as landry detergent, gallons of milk or other beverage and large containers of other food-unless they request bags for them. I have had several people come in in a stack of cloth bags. Then we have the challenge of getting the cloth bags hooked on so we can fill the bag as efficiently as possible. I have ALOT of bags and always remember them after I get out of the car and am in the store. I have alot of the long skinny bags the newspaper comes in. They work really well for a  paperback or two as well as dog poop. I have enough to last for a LONG time!

Last Edited on: 7/23/12 12:03 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
tkhooper avatar
Date Posted: 1/24/2012 10:19 AM ET

My plastic bags are used for the cats litter.  My canvas bags don't get used for groceries, but they do get used for the library runs, portable craft projects and other ways. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/15/2012 3:30 AM ET

Canvas bag I have a big one! It can take heavy

smiley

aylamonster avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/10/2012 9:48 PM ET

When new stores open in your area, many times they give away free reusable bags that they will later be selling.  I got a great big bag at Aldi and a lovely canvas one at Kroger.  When I bought my Thanksgiving Turkey at Whole Foods, they gave me a special bag to use for meat.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/13/2012 8:04 PM ET

One of  my daughters brought me a big, strong shopping bag (for viandes) from France when she returned from a visit there.  And a granddaughter who lived in London for two years brought me a stout orange Sainsbury's shopping bag, upon her return home.   The cloth IKEA bag is a screaming green color.   My other bag is really tough and large, black with pink flamingos all over both sides......it's from a bird sanctuary in Florida.  More fun than "paper or plstic?"   You bet.

Last Edited on: 8/13/12 8:05 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/28/2012 12:15 AM ET

I am a recycle nut, have a compost heap, reuse many items others toss away and even take in items to work that others will reuse. I even sew patches on my jeans as they wear out. Having said that, I do not use the bags they sell at supermarkets and other places, but continue to take my groceries home in the plastic bags.

First, I remember a news article on msnbc.com that reported many of the bags they are selling for $1 or less at stores actually have toxic materials in them.

Second, we reuse the grocery plastic bags as our garbage bags. At the end of each day, we pull them out of the plastic bin, use the handles to tie them shut and toss them in our garbage container.

hsteacher avatar
Date Posted: 2/21/2013 9:40 PM ET

For grocery shopping, we got a few zippered cooler bags - similar to insolated lunch boxes, but much larger.  They hold a lot and are especially needed during our hot summers.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 3/21/2013 8:39 PM ET
I have gotten a lot of my cloth/plasticized bags from charities sending to me un- requested in the mail! latest batch were three pink bags with various designs from breast cancer awareness.And one I got as a Raok from one of my PBS buddies!
cln4evr avatar
Date Posted: 8/7/2014 9:41 AM ET

Most of the canvas bags I have in my collection didn't even come from grocery stores. Every year when our library has their big-blow out sale, you get a bag to shop with & keep. I also find tons for dirt cheap @ Goodwill. Half of my stash stays in the trunk for shopping- my 5yr old loves carrying them into the store. The other half holds my assorted crochet projects so if I'm headed to an appt or a long drive, I just grab a bag that has everything for a particular project and head out the door. Sometimes I end up with a plastic bag or two anyways, and I just upcycle them into plarn for pet bed lining or turn them into reenforced tote bags. Win-win!

Page: