Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Chick Lit Chick Lit

Topic: Need some chick lit guidance...

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
pjs2780 avatar
Subject: Need some chick lit guidance...
Date Posted: 8/13/2009 9:31 PM ET

Last Edited on: 8/13/09 11:37 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
beatccr avatar
Date Posted: 8/13/2009 9:56 PM ET

and how so?

pjs2780 avatar
Date Posted: 8/13/2009 11:33 PM ET

Hello all!
I'm kind of new to chick lit and was hoping you could help guide me a little.  I feel like I'm just poking around in the dark right now, kind of hit or miss.  I've sort of figured out that I don't care if there's a boy at the end.  I just want smart female characters who are part of an interesting story.

I just finished Getting Warmer (by Carol Snow) and I just could not put it down.  I thought Natalie was adorable, loved her relationship with her friends, thought the non-romantic storyline with her students was really touching and real and kind of the highlight for me...and the romance was nice too, but not really the focus of the novel.

SImilarly, I also really enjoyed How to Sleep with a Movie Star.  I thought Claire's character was extremely likable, her friendship with Wendy was awesome, her conflict with Sidra made my blood boil...and, yes, Cole Brannon was a nice touch also.  On the flip side, Accidental It Girl was not at all the same kind of enjoyment.  I think there wasn't enough "other" stuff going on.

And, I just started Cockails for Three.  Not sure if there's going to be a romance in here or not, and I don't care!  I am loving the friendship between Candice, Roxanne, and Maggie, their different stories.  Just got to a part where I'm feeling like walloping Heather on the head.

Other people I've really enjoyed: Jen Lancaster (a fellow Chicagoan!), Sarah Strohmeyer (Sleeping Beauty Proposal, Cinderella Pact -- don't know anything about this Bubbles person), Emily Giffin (yes, I know, this is not really earth-shattering).

Some not so good things that I've read recently: Alphabet Weekends.  Yuck.  Totally fell flat for me.  Wanted more of Lucy and less of the main character, whatever her name was.  Also couldn't really finish Unpredictable without forcing myself to.  Started The Make-Up Girl and couldn't finish it (mostly because there were really gross stains halfway through and I felt like throwing up but the story was just so bad that I didn't really care).  I found Trading Up monotonous (but really liked 4 Blondes).  And (sorry!)  I'm kind of sick of Jennifer Weiner because I feel like all of her lead characters are the same.

Help!

Last Edited on: 8/13/09 11:37 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
beatccr avatar
Date Posted: 8/13/2009 11:49 PM ET

i like the Red Dress Ink line from Harlequin. It's their chick lit line (although they've stopped publishing). I've read/own every single book except one and I've really enjoyed them all. There are different writers, American and British so there's something for everyone.

I also like the 5 Spot line from Grand Central Publishing.

pinkcypress avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 8/14/2009 12:11 AM ET

Definitely start looking through Red Dress Ink books - I've loved most of the ones I've read!

pjs2780 avatar
Date Posted: 8/14/2009 2:03 AM ET

Looking at my bookshelf, I noticed that 5 spot published How to Sleep with a Movie Star!  And I've actually been curious about Red Dress Ink for a while, but wasn't sure.  Thanks for the recommendation!

Oh, I just finished Cocktails for Three.  LOVED it.  Must not pick up another book for a few days at least.

pinksparkleme avatar
Date Posted: 8/14/2009 9:57 AM ET

I would suggest Wendy Markham, Jane Porter, and Amanda Trimble ( I really loved Singletini). Also, Plum Sykes is hilarious!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/15/2009 1:28 PM ET

I'm reading some of Emily Giffin's books right now.  I just finished Something Borrowed and about to start on Something BlueSomething Borrowed really makes you think about friendships you have!

pjs2780 avatar
Date Posted: 8/15/2009 2:39 PM ET

Bailey -- I love EG!  Something Blue was my favorite of her 4 so far, but Love the One You're With is a very very close second!  Can't wait for her next one (whenever that may be)!

MaryMary avatar
Date Posted: 8/19/2009 4:52 PM ET

I really liked The Dim Dum of All Things and I Want Candy by Kim Wong Keltner.

Also, Sophie Kinsella (Can You Keep a Secret) and Jill Smolinski (The Next Thing On My List) are really good. 

pjs2780 avatar
Date Posted: 8/19/2009 6:07 PM ET

I definitely need to check out Kim Wong Keltner!!  I absolutely love books by Asian authors...I just looked up the Dim Sum of All Things and it sounds HILARIOUS.

MaryMary avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2009 1:15 AM ET

I really like both of Keltner's books, and I have her other one, Buddha Baby on my TBR.