Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Random Acts of Kindness (RAOK) Random Acts of Kindness (RAOK)

Topic: Christmas cards for a 5 yr old. A sad situation, My brother txtd me asking

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BostonBooks avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Christmas cards for a 5 yr old. A sad situation, My brother txtd me asking
Date Posted: 12/15/2017 2:01 AM ET

If not acceptable please let me know and I will delete it...

I received a txt from my brother in TX with this info about a 5 yr old asking for Christmas cards after a very sad situation. My 8, 3 yr old granddaughter's and 11 months old granddaughter baby G have made Christmas cards and i have written  mines out and they have been mailed out. My family and friends have mailed or will be mailing theirs out this week. My brother has asked me to pass it to family and friends and I thought I'll post to the PBS family. Returned address do not have to be included, but you can put Book group and your city and state on the inside of the card so little Ryland can see where it came from. Thank you. 

Info:  SAN SABA, Texas (KWTX) Five-year-old Ryland Ward of San Saba, who was severely wounded on Nov. 5 when a gunman opened fire inside of the ***** ***** ***** in Sutherland Springs, wants Christmas cards, his grandmother told KSAT-TV in San Antonio. Ryland remains in a San Antonio hospital where he faces a prolonged stay as he recovers from his injuries. He was shot five times including once in the elbow, twice in the stomach and twice in the leg. The shooting left him with a shattered femur and damage to his bladder, a kidney and his left arm.
The emotional toll is harder to quantify.
Doctors put a stint in the boy’s injured kidney on Tuesday, according to an update on a ******** page that has raised more than $****** to help the family with expenses.
“This young warrior has many battles to overcome,” the post said.
Ryland was with his stepmother, Joann, at the time of the shooting.
She was killed by the gunman. Her daughters, Brooke Ward, 5, and Emily Garza, 7, also died.
In all, 26 people ranging in age from 18 months to 77 years in age died in the rampage. The gunman was later found dead in his vehicle. Cards for the boy may be sent to:
Ryland Ward
P.O. Box 174
Sutherland Springs, Texas, 78161

Last Edited on: 12/15/17 10:24 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/15/2017 9:43 AM ET

A card is on the way to Ryland. The articles about him and the cards mentioned not to use the word church as that is where he had to hide from the bad man.

BostonBooks avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/15/2017 10:27 AM ET

Rebecca, Thank you.

vickyt avatar
Vicky - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 12/30/2017 11:19 AM ET

Oh I missed this.  I never look at this forum as I put the ones I watch on my my watch list.  Darn! Darn! Darn!  I would have sent a card.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 12/30/2017 2:18 PM ET

I am sure a New Year card would make him happy too, Vicky........and down the line, a Valentine.