Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Cooking Cooking

Topic: Coconut Oil/Coconut Water

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
goddessani avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: Coconut Oil/Coconut Water
Date Posted: 6/15/2015 12:06 PM ET

I see a lot of recipes calling for these but I'm allergic to coconut.  If something calls for coconut oil, can I sub olive or canola?  What if something calls for coconut water, can I just use regular water?  Or is there a flavour to coconut water and I'll just dilute my recipe with plain water?

ETA: spelling

Last Edited on: 6/15/15 12:06 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/19/2015 4:06 PM ET

Ani, You can certainly substitute any oil that you like or tolerate in place of coconut oil. I mainly use a blend of half canola oil and half olive oil that I mix myself to cook with. I've used coconut oil but would rather have other oils. Several chefs on cooking shows have said it has a high point of heat and doesn't burn, but on the label of the coconut oil I bought it said not to heat it to over 350 degrees. I've used plain water or a different flavored water in recipes that called for coconut water with little change in flavor.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/20/2015 7:48 AM ET

sunflower oil has a very mild flavor and is a light oil good for eating or cooking.