1 - Small onion, chopped
20 oz. - Pkg. frozen broccoli
2 10¾ - Cans cream of celery soup
1 10¾ - Can cream of mushroom soup
1 C - Grated American Cheese
2 - Soup cans milk
Since my husband does not care broccoli and I do, I try to make this one when he is not home for dinner. I like that this recipe does not use cream because I never have it in the house. Warning, this smells yummy in the house all day long!
Cream of Broccoli Soup
From Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with your slow cooker
Page 70 Barb Yoder Angola, IN
Here it is, doesn't it look yummy?
1. Sauté onion in oil in skillet until soft.
2. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 3-4 hours.
Makes 6-8 servings
- Onions: I'm a big proponent of putting everything in the crock-pot and stirring it once in a while, so, I don't sauté the onions. I start the recipe with the onion, oil & celery (see below) in the crock-pot for about ½ an hour and then add the remaining ingredients.
- Broccoli: I've used fresh broccoli. I cut up 3-4 stalks, including the stalks.
- Soups: I never have celery or mushroom soup in the house, so, I substitute with fresh celery/canned mushrooms and bullion. I put in 3 vegetable bouillon cubes, 3 cups of water, 3-4 stalks of celery (chopped) and a small can of mushrooms. Some could argue that it's not as creamy, but when the milk is added, there goes the cream anyway. Perhaps I should add some sort of thickening--gravy mix anyone?
- I've since made up my own recipe using fresh broccoli, cream and thickening. Perhaps I'll post it in the future.