Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - USPS Postal Regulations USPS Postal Regulations

Topic: Curious USPS Tracking

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
VolunteerVal avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Subject: Curious USPS Tracking
Date Posted: 7/15/2015 4:14 PM ET

A book package I sent has the strangest USPS tracking information.

I mailed it on 6/30/2015 at approx. 10 a.m. by dropping it in a blue box.  (I remember specifically because I mailed it as DH and I left town for vacation.)  Due to vacation, I didn't check the tracking until 7/5/2015; on that day and every day since (until last night), the tracking simply read:

7/2/2015 10:15 PM - Electronic Shipping Info Received - OMAHA,NE

Suddenly last night (7/14/2015), more tracking information appeared:

• 6/30/2015 1:43 AM - Enroute - OMAHA,NE
  • 7/1/2015 4:45 AM - Enroute - CHATTANOOGA,TN
  • 7/1/2015 7:51 AM - Arrival at Unit - ATHENS,TN
  • 7/1/2015 8:40 AM - Sorting / Processing Complete - ATHENS,TN
  • 7/1/2015 8:50 AM - Out for Delivery - ATHENS,TN
  • 7/1/2015 12:56 PM - Delivered - ATHENS,TN
  • 7/1/2015 12:57 PM - Delivered - ATHENS,TN
  • 7/2/2015 10:15 PM - Electronic Shipping Info Received - OMAHA,NE

The tracking shows the package was enroute before it was even put in the blue box and it shows it was delivered several states away in approx. 24 hours (unlikely but not impossible).  Then it has a scan in the originating city the day after the package was reported delivered.  I haven't received it as returned.

When it showed only the 7/2/2015 scan in Omaha, I sent a PM to the requesting member to confirm I had mailed the package and expressing hope it would eventually be delivered.  To date, I've received no response to the message.

In the end, I've already received my credit for this book since I used PBS printable postage.  It's just an intriguing mystery to me.

fangrrl avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 7/16/2015 3:49 AM ET

Everything looks OK (even great with a quick delivery) with appropriate scans for the date you blue boxed...until that last out-of-sync scan. 

If the book has not been marked received and you have not received a reply from the requestor, you may wish to contact TPTB.  In the instance of a problem swap (or potential problem) they are supposed to reply.  Of course, it's possible (given the time of year) that they are on vacation and the book has arrived safe and sound.

If the book had been returned, the scans would probably have been different (not 'delivered').  You could also take the barcode info to your PO and ask them what happened.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/16/2015 12:51 PM ET

I have gotten a couple of odd scans also. I think the p o may have been making some changes to their website recently.

VolunteerVal avatar
Date Posted: 7/17/2015 9:58 AM ET

Happy ending to the story - the book was marked received yesterday!

I think the p o may have been making some changes to their website recently.

I agree with you Charles.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/17/2015 12:43 PM ET

Valerie. was that you who requested a book from me?

Momof2boys avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/22/2015 3:05 PM ET

What likely happened here is that you had a mailing date of 7/2 when you printed the wrapper, but actually mailed it on 6/29. If you go from top to bottom, all of the scans except the last one are in perfect order. Then on 7/2, the date that Endicia's system had as the mailing date, the shipping info was sent to the USPS. Hence the info being received after the rest of the scans.

I have this happen all the time. When accepting an order, I choose the last date as the mail by date. But then I mail the book within a day or two, but I almost always forget to change the mailing date, which defaults to the date you said you'd mail. So my books almost always are scanned accepted, enroute, etc., long before the USPS gets the info from Endicia.

VolunteerVal avatar
Date Posted: 7/23/2015 1:01 PM ET

Thanks for the possible explanations.  It's still odd that the package was marked "Enroute" before the label was printed or the package was dropped in the blue box and that the tracking info didn't appear here on PBS until two weeks after the package was delivered.  I'm just happy it was delivered and marked received.

Last Edited on: 7/23/15 1:01 PM ET - Total times edited: 1