Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: It's DECEMBER! What books do you have your nose in? :)

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 12/5/2009 3:15 PM ET

Ellie, yes--the author has said this is the last in the Harper series. I liked it too, but I think the second one was my favorite. Grave Secret did wrap everything up nicely though.

Cheryl

Date Posted: 12/5/2009 3:47 PM ET

I finished Slow Dollar yesterday and enjoyed it so much that I jumped right into the next of the series High Country Fall.

However, I have Grave Secret sitting on my bookshelf, and the discussion of it makes me really right to read it soon. I'd been 'saving' it, sort of like saving your favorite chocolate until last.  I was starting to feel guilty as I know there's quite a Wish List, so it will be the next up.

Last Edited on: 12/6/09 5:20 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 12/5/2009 3:56 PM ET

The new C. S. Harris, What Remains Of Heaven.

Gail

Date Posted: 12/6/2009 10:16 PM ET

I finished up "The Redeemer" by Jo Nesbo and have started "I Kill" by Giorgio Faletti (yay, thanks Jeanne).  My hubby walked in earlier as I was trying to tighten the little-bitty screw in my glasses and he asked me what I was doing - I said, "I'm getting ready to scream bloody murder if I drop this teeny-tiny screw one more time!"   He says, "Maybe you shouldn't be reading a book called 'I Kill'."

Date Posted: 12/6/2009 10:49 PM ET

A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King  

Date Posted: 12/6/2009 11:39 PM ET

Twill, how are you liking "A Monstrous Regiment of Women"?  That is coming up on my WL and I'm eager to get my mitts on it!  I've read good reviews but sometimes it feels like those reviews are written by ringers just to sell books.

Date Posted: 12/7/2009 9:00 AM ET

Terri, LeeAnne

I love all the Mary Russell books. Monstrous Regiment of Women wasn't my favorite, but I've enjoyed them all. I have her latest on my TBR pile, and should get to it soon.

I've finished Grave Secrets, snuck in a non-mystery (Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove Christmas) and am now pondering what book on my TBR list to begin next.  I can't decide whether to try one of the new authors on my list, or the next book in a series I've already started.  I'm way behind on my Christmas knitting, so I wish I had an audio book so I could multitask!

Last Edited on: 12/7/09 9:20 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
Date Posted: 12/7/2009 9:47 AM ET

Caviglia - Good luck with Reginald Hill. I've tried 2 of his books and I just didn't care for them. Let me know what you think.

Lori - I'll have to check out that Untitled John Lutz book to get an idea of what it's about. Thanks!

Date Posted: 12/7/2009 12:43 PM ET

I finished up The Scarpetta Factor last night. I really enjoyed it, but I came away with sort of an odd feeling from it.  she seemed to have wrapped up so many loose ends at the end of the book, it made me wonder if she's going to write anymore in the series.

Date Posted: 12/7/2009 1:04 PM ET

Good luck with Reginald Hill. I've tried 2 of his books and I just didn't care for them. Let me know what you think.

I liked it, but I didn't love it.  I have one more of his sitting on my TBR list, so I may give him another chance.  If I'm not bowled over by that one, I'm done.

I started reading Death of a Glutton last night.  I am totally baffled as to why it is OOP and so hard to find (as is Death of a Traveling Man) when every other book in the series is readily available.

Date Posted: 12/7/2009 7:51 PM ET

LeeAnne,

I only got through chapter 1 yesterday and unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to read on my lunch hour today.  This time of year I struggle to steal of few minutes of reading time here and there.  And here I am on the computer........ :)  I'll let you know what I think when I get into it a little more.

Terri

Mary (mepom) -
Date Posted: 12/8/2009 12:19 PM ET

I finally got a copy of Black Dog by Steven Booth. I am hooked on this book, so I am hoping the following ones are as good. In the car, I am listening to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The beginning was a little slow with the history, but once the girl with the tattoo came into the book, it is flying. I just received She's Out by Lynda LaPlante. LaPlante is a British author. Her books are somewhat difficult to find in US, but Amazon is able to get most of them. This will be my next read. From PBS, I also received a Sharon McCone, Ask the Cards A Question, by Marcia Muller. The first was so good and I am expecting this to be as great.

Thanks again for all the suggestions here at PBS.

Mary

Date Posted: 12/8/2009 2:16 PM ET

I finished Death of a Glutton last night and enjoyed it very much.  If anyone has a line on where I can find a reasonably priced Death of a Traveling Man it would be much appreciated!  I'll prob'ly wind up getting it from the book depository eventually.

I just started The Fashion in Shrouds by Margery Allingham.  It's very intriguing so far. 

Date Posted: 12/8/2009 3:13 PM ET

I finished "Another Man's Mocassins" and really enjoyed it.  I like the way Johnson alternated between present day Wyoming and Vietnam in 1968.  It's nice to get to know the young Walt and Henry.  I have to say that I really like Vic but I'm not sure I like the relationship between Vic and Walt.  I have the next book in the series so we'll see where Johnson takes it.

I think I might jump into the next Stephen Booth mystery, which for me is "Blood on the Tongue".

Mary J. (MaryHB) - ,
Date Posted: 12/8/2009 5:54 PM ET

I just finished Thereby Hangs A Tail by Spencer Quinn -- this is such a great read!

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 12/9/2009 6:39 AM ET

I just finished a wonderful book, The Greatest Knight by Elizabether Chadwick. It is a historical fiction novel set in the late 1100's during the reign of Henry II. Very well written and researched. The character development is wonderful, plot moves along at a good pace. If you have not read Elizabeth Chadwick yet, I highly recommend her.

Alice

Date Posted: 12/9/2009 7:57 AM ET

I'm still working on my last '09 challenge book, Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog by Boris Akunin. It started very slowly for me--the writing style is kind of slow and plodding and there's a bazillion Russian names to try to keep straight--and of course they all use their second names as well. I'm about halfway done now, and it's better, but not sure I'll continue the series after this one.

I'm also in the middle of A Sea of Troubles by Donna Leon for my read at work book...as always, I'm enjoying a visit to Venice with Guido, Paola and the rest of the gang.

Cheryl

Date Posted: 12/11/2009 10:08 AM ET

I just finished String of Lies by Mary Ellen Hughes. It was a fast read--cute, but nothing special. 

Next up for me will be a non-mystery holiday book, The Quilter's Holiday by Jennifer Chiaverini.  The author includes so much historical information in many of these books as the characters trace back the history of quilts made by ancestors.  I love the whole series by this author--interesting historical information, great characters, good story.

Next up will be one of the 'cat' mysteries by M. Babson.  Love the combination of a good mystery and cats!

Last Edited on: 12/11/09 10:12 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 12/11/2009 1:22 PM ET

Thanks for the reminder, Cheryl.  I have one book to complete for the 2009 challenge so I had better get on that.  It is the first Benjamin January mystery by Barbara Hambly.  I tried to read it a few years ago and it just didn't speak to me so I'm trying again.  We shall see!

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 12/11/2009 3:27 PM ET

I am reading the King's Bishop by Candace Robb. It a wonderful series of historical mysteries set in the 1300 England. The characters are strong and well written, mysteries are good. This one is the 4th in the series. If you like histiorical mysteries set in that era I highy recommend Candace Robb. The first book in the series is The Apothecary's Wife. I think it is available on the swap.

Alice

Date Posted: 12/11/2009 7:03 PM ET

Hampton's Christmas, I think is the correct title. 

Date Posted: 12/12/2009 6:41 AM ET

Truly, Madly: A Novel by Heather Webber - really cute so far.

Date Posted: 12/12/2009 10:46 AM ET

Alice, I agree with you about the Owen Archer series...I actually collect that series in hardcover for my Keeper shelf. Am having a devil of a time finding the most recent one--A Vigil of Spies--in HC. It's not even available in HC on bookdepository.co.uk. :-\ I'll get it eventually though, something to look forward to! :)

I finally have a day I can spend reading...well, mostly...after running around like a chicken with my head cut off for the last few days. I am about to start Susan Wittig Albert's latest China Bayles book, Wormwood, and also have set Open Season by C.J. Box on my bedside table after listening to LeeAnne sing the author's praises for months.

Cheryl

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 12/12/2009 12:40 PM ET

Michele,

I read Slow Dollar and read High Country Fall.  I surprised myself because I immediately read Rituals of the Season and Winter's Child.  Took a break of one book and Hard Row and Death's Half Acre had to be read!  Now, I'm waiting for Sand Sharks.

I was a bit surprised because I almost didn't start Slow Dollar.  It seemed like the series was at a low point for me.  It sure did pick up with Slow Dollar though. 

As for what I'm reading now, getting caught up on the Alpine books, just read Quilts, finishing up Recluse.  I still have Scandal and Traitor sitting on the shelf.  Maybe I'll polish them off by the end of the year.  I'm amazed that I'm reading these with barely a break between them.  Usually I'll burn out if I read the books one after another like that.  I did slip a Sue Henry, Serpents Trail the first of a new series in between as well as a Rita Lakin (Getting Old is to Die For) and Undercover in Highheels.  Serpents Trail and Undercover in Highheels were a bit slow going but I kept slugging away and thinking if these don't improve my shelf with be depleted because the rest of these will be posted - NOT  They did get finished and I will at least read the next in the series for both, Sue Henry and Gemma Halliday.  Maybe they're just slow starters.

Maxie and Stretch were introduced in another Sue Henry book and I immediately book the spin off.  I enjoyed the first two High heel books and thought they were a bit fater paced than this one.  Maybe just me..

Date Posted: 12/12/2009 7:46 PM ET

Cheryl!  I hope you enjoy the Joe Pickett series.  If C.J. Box ever makes an appearance in your neck of the woods, you should stop by and meet him.  He's a really nice guy!

Page: