Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Money Saving Tips Money Saving Tips

Topic: Daily frugal, etc check-in

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
carolceltic avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/9/2014 11:41 AM ET
That good idea collect bottle.im doing ok just buy less food.going for alot walk with samson
carolceltic avatar
Date Posted: 5/11/2014 6:25 PM ET

hi everyone , I miss you all.

carol

SUSIEW avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/8/2014 10:04 AM ET

Hey all.  We have been quiet as of late.  Hope everyone is doing well.

Sqbear42 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 8/8/2014 12:14 PM ET

Hi ladies,

I'm just getting ready for my hip replacement surgery on Aug 21st. I've needed this surgery for a long time. Very very painful.

How's everyone else doing?

Nicole

SUSIEW avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/8/2014 3:41 PM ET

Nicole Hope your surgery is a success and goes well.  I'm sure you are ready for some relief from all the  pain.  That is 1 day before the 2nd anniversary of my back surgery.  I have been doing well.  I am trying to learn some of the benefits of Essential Oils.  I went to one class on it and ordered some oils but have not received them yet.  Hope they work  on some of the issues I want them too.  Allergies, headaches, vertigo on my husband etc. Ready for the weekend, it has been a long work week.  Rain this weekend here and I'm glad.

carolceltic avatar
Date Posted: 8/17/2014 11:32 AM ET

hi everyone,

nicole good luck with back surgery .

susie good luck with oil.

carol

carolceltic avatar
Date Posted: 9/21/2014 4:33 PM ET

susanna are you still on book swap . hi to everyone else.

SUSIEW avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/21/2014 5:34 PM ET

Hi Carol and all

Having good luck with the oil so far.  My Eczema is under control on my leg.  My sugar has gone down so that is good.

Not working so well yet on the Meniere's disease on my husband but we are still trying.

Had a great weekend here, it was homecoming for our town and got to see a lot of old friends and laugh about old memories and create some new ones.

carolceltic avatar
Date Posted: 1/25/2015 5:31 PM ET

hi everyone,

miss post here alot going on in life but i need to say hi once in while

Sqbear42 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/25/2015 7:22 PM ET

Hi Carol,

I too  miss this group. Maybe the members will come back and post.

Nicole

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 1/28/2015 12:35 PM ET

Hi! Glad to see someone post here! Maybe we can be more regular and encourage each other! Take care

Last Edited on: 1/28/15 12:35 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
SUSIEW avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/3/2015 1:30 PM ET

Hi all.  Missed everyone's post.

All is well here in Arkansas.  Some cold weather but no snow or ice yet.  I have been trying to get my coupons organized and get back in a  habit of using them.  I have been using the General Dollar offers a lot.  The last two or Three Wednesdays they have offered coupons for $2 off a $10 purchase and $5 off $25 purcharse on Saturdays.  Use a few coupons and it takes even more off.  Seems like I go in spurts where I will be very coupon oriented and then I fall off the wagon and they all expire and I stop cutting them out for awhile.  Got to get some consistency going.  Hope all is well with everyone!

Sqbear42 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/3/2015 11:25 PM ET

Hi ladies,

Has anyone heard from Susanna???

I just sent her a PM.

I'm planning on staying with PBS with the new changes at least for one year, then i'll see how I feel about it.

Nicole

SUSIEW avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/4/2015 3:58 PM ET

I have not heard from Susanna.  I intend to stay also.

How is your Grandson Nicole?

Last Edited on: 2/4/15 3:59 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Sqbear42 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/10/2015 11:04 AM ET

Grandson is 2 already and talking up a storm. He's a joy!!

I did have my hip surgery and it has made a big difference in my health. I have lost over 50lbs with Weight Watchers and now do a cycle class, water aerobics, body pump, walking and riding my bike. I can even take my grandson to the park and play with him. Amazing!

hows everyone else doing?

Nicole

carolceltic avatar
Date Posted: 2/10/2015 9:17 PM ET

hi everyone,

ive miss you all. i miss susanna . i pm her but never heard from her. im glad some of you are staying i am.

carol

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: hello
Date Posted: 3/5/2015 12:38 AM ET

hello y'all...sorry I left without saying anything. I realized it as soon as I sent request to close my account. I actually hate this site but i did miss ya'll and could see your posts but not reply. even after last night when I wanted to say hello I still had to pay 12.50 just to reply on the forum. can read the messages after re-joining but had to pay to reply or post here. I was spending too much time getting upset in cmt and I wasted so muchmoney and cluttered my house ordering so many books (addictive personality I guess)

I missed ya'll though adn wish I'd thought to leave my email in pm's before leaving.  oh well here for a year Iguess since Ij ust paid. I do miss the romance forum and here. I"ll just need willpower if I find too much drama in cmt again - yes should be able to stay away from there but didn't!

can't remember when I left- maybe a year or close to it? I'm almost entirely ebook now easier to read and less clutter. still with the finance coach- think it's pricey but she holds me accountable and I think it's working out well for me. trying to not get off on wild buying sprees LOL! I"m back into exercise and eating better- my liver counts were way up(fatty liver), triglycerides..you get the picture. joined a bible study at church centered around healthy choices- first place for health  it's called - really good group and supportive. been really involved in my church's activiites- hard wth my crazy job - we switched shifts yet againa nd once again filiing in for short term disability..sigh...but I go to church stuff whenver I can. enjoying feeling better- lost about 20 lbs maybe a little more - and feel much better. still have about 60more to go.

haven't read all the posts since i've been gone. hope everyone is doing good!

Last Edited on: 3/5/15 12:43 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/5/2015 7:38 AM ET

I'm on night shift- leaving in about 20 minutes thank goodness. raininga nd COLD here! so I'll be out of touch til at least tonight probably unles I wake up bored LOL!

SUSIEW avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/18/2015 12:08 PM ET

I did not realize that you would not be able to message without a membership.  Oh well.  Glad to hear from everyone.

Good job on weight lose and staying busy Nicole, can't believe the Grandbaby is already 2, how time flies.

Love the less clutter for you Susanna,  I so need that.  Maybe soon.

Always good to hear from Carol and Wanda.

Same ol stuff going on here.  It has been 2 years since my back surgery and I am doing good.  Just started to exercise again and I have been trying for at least 3 times a week and have succeeding so far, yay.  Now just have to get back on Weight Watchers or at least something so I am accountable for what I eat.  So glad to see Spring Weather in the forecast.

Take Care.

drkenrich avatar
Subject: Walmart to the Rescue
Date Posted: 3/19/2015 2:09 AM ET

The title brought me in, but I didn't read all the posts so I'm not sure if this is appropriate. It does save me money on groceries.

1.  Anytime I find a "loss leader" sale (one that's really cheaper than anywhere around) I spend a few dollars and buy a few extra one to put on my shelf. That way the next time I need one, I've already saved money on it and I can use the saved money to add something else to the shelf. If all you do is spend $10 extra per month on super savings items, you'll end up with a small food storage that averages usually at least 25% from normal prices. Really handy if lean times.

2. Walmart has a standing policy. They will match any other store's sales ads as long as it's on the same brand, size, conditions, and pricing (per item or per pound). I live in Los Angeles where there are lots of super markets that send out weekly shoppers every Tuesday. I sit down for a few minutes with a black marker and find the cheapest price for items I'm looking for that week, especially produce, and take the ads to Walmart. This last week I bought 10 lbs of potatos for 99c ($2.99 Walmart price), 3 lbs of strawberries for 88c/lb ($2.48 Wp), big tomatoes at 67c/lb (1.47 Wp), select Kellog's cereals for 1.50 (2.49 Wp), 6 lb. Farmer John's Bacon for 2.00/lb (3.67 Wp) and a few regular items. I've even even given the sales flyers to other shoppers viewing the same items I'm buying. The checker matches the sales prices. If there's any question or I forget the ad papers, the courtesy desk keeps a copy of the local sales papers in a binder at their desk so anyone can look at them before they go shopping.

One extra benefit form this is that over several months I began to see pricing patterns fluctuate up and down on a regular basis and came to know about when the next great sale on an item was coming. Every 3 months or so Albertson's has bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts for 99c versus the normal 2.99 for boneless skinless ones normally. For the 66% saving I can easily pull the skin off myself and either cook the chicken on the bone or cut it off myself. The extra ones go in the freezer.

One nice benefit is that Walmart usually has better quality than the cheaper stores.

Sqbear42 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 3/20/2015 7:37 PM ET

Hi all,

Ken those are awesome deals. Not sure if you know about Walmart Savings Catcher? Download the app, then you scan your Walmart receipt and the app will look at stores in your area that have a lower price, if the app finds a lower price than Walmart you get that price difference back.

How's everyone doing?

Nicole

SUSIEW avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/29/2015 2:43 PM ET

Love to price match at Wal Mart, I usually just use the savings catcher now though.  I live in a very rural area so Wal Mart and a couple local grocery stores.  We do not have any big chain grocery stores at all.  Finally got a CVS about 40 mins away but not really worth the drive and my local WM won't price match with them.

I have been taking advantage of the $5 of a $25 purchase at Dollar General almost every week.  With a few coupons and they have digital coupons it save me some.  I like Ken try to stock up when something is on sale.  So I have lots of shampoo and face wash and body wash that has been on sale at DG.

Sunshine in Arkansas today,  which is good because rain all next week expected.

carolceltic avatar
Date Posted: 4/16/2015 5:31 PM ET

hi everyone,

need to get back doing weight watcher.miss you all.

carol

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/30/2015 1:39 AM ET

figures my dang post would disappear..sigh..

anyways I keep forgetting bout the walmart app - my cousin was doing that christmas and had a good balance built up. I try to avoid wally world as too many tempations!

I'm finding I love having a budget and planning for upcoming expenses. somtimes i slip up but for the most part  i stick to the plan. haven't used a credit card in over a year! and I have savings and have found that even with tithing at church I seem to have enough money and that shopping isn't 'all that'.

still working on my house but really hope to have it in shape by the end of summer though may be still working on it. my 'goal' now is to spend my long change week off in may finishing decluttering the upstairs and solidify my 'game plan' for the queen bed I got from my parents' house and get rid of the king mattress...and then call the moving people who unloaded the uhauls for me and get them to put the bed together and move stuff around - hopefully when all that is done I will have the upstairs pretty much in shape and can focus on the back part of the downstairs.

my dog is now 14 and have to deal with that mess but so far she's still getting around ok and seems content. I've budgeted in a lot for her care- whenI 'm on days I have someone come in and walk her midday and 2x on the 2 days I have my first place 4 health and bible study after day shift.

I've been managing some kind of exercise - may be stretchy seated yoga but usually it's more - daily. I feel better. I'm around 35 lbs down from Christmas - would like to lose another 50 at least but I can already tell I feel much better and am hoping my physical ths year at work reflects how I've been feeling! just trying to take one day at a time and plan meals better -  have slipped a bit lately so need to think tonight/tomorrow night what to grab at grocery store or my fit foods for the next 3 nights and Sunday and the next week- not getting time off for 2 weeks - get off sun morning and go on days for 5 days the following week and have church meetings 2 of those days so I need to prepare ahead of time. will probably equal frozen meals but that's ok if I add veggies and fruit. at least I have a grocery store next door..just pray it doesn't close and leave us with a huge shopping center abandoned.sigh..

otherwise not much else going on - been quilting and budgeting that in. doing round robin again this coming year and that will be time consuming but should be fun with my friends.

carolceltic avatar
Date Posted: 5/13/2015 5:49 PM ET

susanna glad thing are going ok with you . i think of all of you.

Page: