Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: May Day Brings New Reads to Share

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 5/26/2017 12:41 PM ET

I saw the death at the end coming from the beginning of the book.  I also had the "crime" pretty much figured out right away.  I agree with you and others; not the usual quality of writing or level of storytelling at all.

Date Posted: 5/26/2017 8:13 PM ET

Vicky --- Well, you got me interested in John Fielding and I read the first installment!!!  I have number 2 on hand, numbers 3 & 4 are not available here on PBS, but I have ordered I think 7 others!!!

Alice --- I have put the Houdini book on my wishlist --- sounds very interesting.

Date Posted: 5/29/2017 2:29 PM ET

I have finished off 4 books lately:  "Treachery at Lancaster Gate", Anne Perry, "Asylum" by Jeannette de Beauvoir, "The Harlot's Tale", Sam Thomas and on Kindle, "Yield Not to Misfortune", Suzanne Downes. 

The Suzanne Downes books are Kindle only but I do enjoy them.  Set in England with am amateur sleuth whom is a former Cambridge Don.

Anne Perry was a Thomas & Charlotte episode and i enjoyed it.

"Asylum" was a very good book.  Someone here, I think, recommended it and I conur.  Set in Montreal and switches from modern day to a time during the Cold War.  It is based on a true situation having to do with orphans, the Catholic Church and the CIA.

Sam Thomas does a good job in this, the second book, of the Midwife series. 

With the exception of Montreal, the others are alll situated in England.

Date Posted: 5/30/2017 9:55 PM ET

Right now I'm reading book 2 of the  Maisie Dobbs series, Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear.

Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/31/2017 6:42 AM ET

Cheryl love that series

I am reading The Summer Before the War: A Novel :: Helen Simonson  a little slow right now but it gets good reviews so I will continue on

Page: