Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Health & Fitness Forum Health & Fitness Forum

Topic: Dieting and Depressed

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
daltonryan avatar
Tour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Dieting and Depressed
Date Posted: 1/22/2013 9:58 PM ET

Two weeks ago today, my doctor gave me the ultimatum.  My last set of lab work came back bad, including testing that revealed I am prediabetic.  Since my son was born nearly six years ago, the weight has slowly been creeping up.  At every six month check up, there were little words of warning, promises made to comply with diet and exercise, none of which ever were kept.  At 38, I weighed more than I ever weighed in my life, including when I was nine months pregnant.  With a new diagnosis of high blood pressure, prediabetes, high cholesterol and triglycerides, and metabolic syndrome looming, the doctor said diet and exercise or else. 

So I dug in.  I cut back on all the sweets.  I replaced my 2-3 cup of sweet tea habit with Splenda-sweetened tea.  I got rid of the afternoon candy bar.  I gave away all my chocolate treats left from Christmas and let the kids have all the chips.  I replaced my convenience store fried food lunches with Lean Cuisine.  And the first week I lost four pounds.  At today's weigh in, two more pounds down.  I've lost six pounds in two weeks, I have more energy, and my pants are already a little looser. 

So why am I in such a bad mood?  For the past few days, I have felt irritable and moody.  I can't seem to find any joy in what I have accomplished.  (No, it's not hormones or that time of the month right now.) Is this normal?  Will this pass?  Is it the things I have cut out that are making me feel so down and discouraged or is it just a normal phase in the process?  I need to lose about another 30 or so pounds, and I hope this is not what losing weight is all about, being in a bad mood all the time sucks. 

NewRuth avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/23/2013 1:40 PM ET

I'm guessing that your diet is low in fat.   Low fat diets are linked to depression.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200304/the-risks-low-fat-diets

You might consider a low carbohydrate diet.  Carbohydrates raise blood sugar.  One good source of information is Dr. Richard Bernstein.

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Richard-K-Bernstein/author/

adopteesministry avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/26/2013 3:18 PM ET

I think from personally speaking- when we give up treats and comfort food it is a loss that we grieve to not use food as a comfort- and we feel that loss and are sad- now as you replace the eating with some enjoyable-  low calorie alternatives and find new pleasing and fun activities and hobbies, past times, exercise and find things you love to do that keep you active and moving- you will feel better and better- Exercise is known to help raise our Endorphins- those lift our moods.  And for me, my Faith life helps so much and finding people to encourage me along the way and pray me through the bad times. Hold onto HOPE and you are doing so well- Focus on the new victories and keep seeing them happen!

Blessings to you Dana,  Jody in Illinois

09suzij avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Subject: I hear ya!
Date Posted: 1/26/2013 9:10 PM ET

Good for you, for making a positive choice for yourself and your family!  You may have hit a tiny plateau.  Keep on with what you're doing, and the pounds will start to come off again. Give it a week.

Best of luck!  - Sue