Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: February 2016 - Reading something romantic?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Date Posted: 2/26/2016 9:40 AM ET

I finished a couple of books this week.

Yesterday I started and finished  Centralia :: Mike Dellosso which since it was a tad over 400 pages is somethinig that I very seldom do. As soon as I started reading it, it grabbed me and I couldn't wait to see where it went.  The MC wakes up one morning and can't find his wife and daughter so he calls a neighbor to see if they are with the wife somewhere.  He gets told, Don't you member, they were killed in a car wreck two months ago.  Peter (MC) doesn't remember but he is convinced that they are alive. Next thing you know three guys break into his house to kill him.  Non stop action pretty much from there on.  It did remind me some of the Bourne movies with him not remembering his identity but having all of these skills that are like second nature.  I would give it 5 stars but a couple of things at the end weren't explained well enough I thought so give it 4 1/2.

I also read Booked for Trouble (Lighthouse Library, Bk 2) :: Eva Gates and remembered while reading that after book 1 I hadn't planned on reading more of the series.  Maybe if I get really bored and come across another I might pick it up.  The MC is one of those that just jumps from person to person coming up with how they could have committed the murder. Gets irritating to me.

Last Edited on: 2/26/16 9:41 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 2/26/2016 12:33 PM ET

I'm reading 7 Grams of Lead / Keith Thomson.  Reminds me of Once a Spy a bit.  MC is an internet reporter.  He knows people, has informants.  An old girlfriend  calls, asks to meet him.  A coded message letting him know she has something to tell him.  She's in Washngton DC, he's in New York.  She meets him at a restaurant, next thing he thinks they're being followed and then she's shot!  Didn't give anything away because of course he's got to track down the killer!  All kinds of gadgets, Jeanne remember in Once a Spy?  7 Grams of Lead refers to the weight of a bullet used in Joseph Stalin's era.

Date Posted: 2/26/2016 5:13 PM ET

Oh Geri - this one sounds as good as the others!!!

I'm about 100+ pages into The Wild Inside and it's really pretty good so far!

Date Posted: 2/26/2016 7:10 PM ET

Thanks Cynthia, your description of Centralia sounds so good that I ordered it. smiley

Geri, I went out today for the first time since just before this storm started and I was amazed at all the snow we got! Snow everywhere, lol. Thank goodness it wlll be melting in the next few days with our nice temps coming. Good luck with your dental implants on Monday. Hope all goes well.

Jeanne, I looked up The Wild Inside and that looks good. Glacier National Park and all the wildlife for a mystery sounds really interesting. I put it on my wishlist.

Last Edited on: 2/26/16 7:11 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 2/26/2016 7:52 PM ET

Connie - I can send it to you when I'm finished!

Jeanne

Date Posted: 2/26/2016 10:00 PM ET

Hello All --- This evening was the "Celebrity Pig Showing" at the county fair grounds.  I was the celebrity showing a pig for our little boutique --- I did not win.  That made me very sad, as I was hoping for a win.  It was really fun and the boutique got some good publicity from the whole thing!!!

I am just about finished with the forensic genealogist mystery and it has turned out to be quite good.  "Hiding the Past" is the title.  It was available on Kindle Unlimited, in fact 3 of the series are available. Not sure what I will move to when I get the last few pages of this one finished.

Was just sick to hear about Vicky's daughter.  Some of you here might actually "know" Vicky --- she posts here on occasion.  She is a librarian in West Virginia --- I think it is West Virginia.  Her PBS name is Vicky T.

Last Edited on: 2/26/16 10:01 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 2/26/2016 10:02 PM ET

Amazingly, I finished If Fried Chicken Could Fly by Paige Shelton (for the Ch-Ch-Chicken Challenge, LOL)...it had all the elements of a cozy--silly romance, a quirky craft (MC and grandma ran a cooking school), improbably dead body, dumber than dirt police force...had it not been a Challenge book, I probably wouldn't have finished. The MC was supposedly not yet 30 years old but she SOUNDED and ACTED older than me (57)...just not very interesting nor believable. But it's done. :-) 

Now on to A Small Death in the Great Glen by A.D. Scott. This one is for the bonus challenge for books that have been on the TBR for at least a year. I've culled so much over the past couple of years I don't have many to choose from for that category!

Oh, Geri--thanks for the tip about The Bughouse Affair, I snagged that from the Marketplace, also free except shipping cost. It looks like an interesting series. I've been slowly reading Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone series, but I've never read anything by her hubster, nor that they've co-written.

Cheryl

Date Posted: 2/27/2016 8:29 AM ET

I just finished No Shred of Evidence by Charles Todd. It's the newest in the Inspector Ian Rutledge series. I enjoyed it very much. For a change, there was very little of Hamish in the story. Maybe Ian is finally recovering and getting over his guilt. Four girls are accused of murder after they rescuse a man from drowning. Quite a lot of red herrings.

Also reading:

The Masque of a Murderer (Lucy Champion #3) by Susanna Calkins. Lucy becomes involved with the Quakers when her ex-Master's daughter joins the sect and a member is murdered.

A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers by Hazel Ganor (Kindle). I'm finding this one very interesting. Tilly Harper becomes asst. housemother at a home for flower girls. It's 1912 and Mr. Shaw felt for the plight of the flower sellers on the streets of London and set up the home to help care for them. (He is a real person who did establish a home for flower girls.) Tilly discovers a diary in the room she inhabits detailing the disapperance of four-year-old Rose. Her sister Florrie worked at the home and spent the rest of her life trying to find her. Many paralells in Tilly and Florrie's life and many fascinating facts of the poor who lived on the streets. I'm about halfway through. There is a very slight intimation of the paranormal.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 2/27/2016 11:55 AM ET

Cynthia, Centralia sound good.  A part of my family lived in Centralia, PA which is the site of the fires underground.  When I first saw the title I thought it might be about that. 

Connie, I sure didn't realize we had that much snow.  We had more last year.  Thanks for thegood thoughts about Monday. 

Becky what counts is you had a good time and the boutique got publicity.

Cheryl, I've read a couple of the Muller/Pronzini books.  I know I liked them enough to keep trying.  I did try one of his Nameless Detective books but it didn't grab me at the time.  Once in a while I think I should try again.

I have No Shred of Evidence waiting for me.  I've just got to read faster.  wink  The other books you're reading sound good as well Mary.

I'm almost finished with 7 Grams of Lead.  A touch of James Bond, spies and bodies galore with a MC who somehow manages to dodge bullets and yet gets captured by the bad guys.  Will he survive for another book?  I hope so.  smiley

Also reading A new series Disguise to Die For / Diane Vallere.  MC is the daughter of the owner of a costume shop in Nevada.  For those doing the cozy this would fit the fashion category.

Stiffs and Swine / J B Stanley.  4th in the Supper Club series.  I'm not too thrilled with this so far but just at page 50 and these take a bit to warm up.  For the cozy challenge it has a bloody or is that barbeque sauce on that fork? 

Contest / Matthew Reilly.  I thought it was a pure thriller but it's a sci-fi since the MC has just been transported with his daughter to the main branch of the NY public library. 

Kindles, The Spirit is Willing / Max McCoy, A Valley to Die For / Radine Trees Nehring, A Grave Mistake / Leighann Dobbs, Book 2 of the Calamity Jayne series and (phew) Girl Jacked / Christopher Greyson.  Of all Girl Jacked seems to have most of my attention.  If I can finish these up by Monday I will have read 26 Kindle books this month!  

Last Edited on: 2/27/16 12:12 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 2/27/2016 12:04 PM ET

Becky ~ What happened to VIcky T's daughter? 

Date Posted: 2/27/2016 12:51 PM ET

Joy - I can answer that about Vicky's daughter. Brianna was 35 yrs and had some serious medical problems in her life and had moved back in with her parents maybe about a year ago. She had been running a fever so Vicky took her to the ER where they ran tests and gave her IV antibiotics. When they got home, Brianna said that she felt really good. Vicky went into her room the next morning and found Brianna dead. Tragic!

This is vicky's most recent post in the HF forum (and if you click the link provided, you will find the obit):

Thank you, everyone.  The shock has worn off a bit, but it still doesn't seem real.  Shelley asked me to post a link to her obituary, and so you can find it here.  I wish you all could have met her.  She was just an amazing young woman.  I appreciate the thoughts and prayers so much.  This is so difficult. 

Date Posted: 2/27/2016 1:26 PM ET

Thanks so much, Jeanne.  How very sad ~ parents should never outlive their parents, but it happens all too often. 

Last Edited on: 2/27/16 1:27 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 2/27/2016 2:46 PM ET

Thanks, Jeanne.  Prayers for Vicky and her family.

Date Posted: 2/27/2016 3:33 PM ET

So sad for Vicky and her family.  My thoughts and prayers are with her.

Read Baltimore Blues/Laura Lippman.  The "blue" in the title caught my eye at the library.  I had never read any of her books, so decided to give it a try.  I just might have to get more in the series.  Just what I need...another series to try to find the rest of the books!  My TBR seems to have grown somehow.  Had to down to under 30 (print books) and now it's double that.  I don't know how it happened...I'm sure I had nothing to do with it!!  wink

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 2/27/2016 9:28 PM ET

Marla, those books just snuck right into your house while you were reading!  I know when I go to Amazon those Kindle books just sneak right through the cloud.

I just finished Girl Jacked / Christopher Greyson on Kindle, if you have Unlimited it was free.  I really got wrapped into it and wanted the next.  They have a collection, four or five books free right now.  I grabbed those.  MC is a cop.  He was a foster child who was adopted.  His foster mother has sent one of the other foster children to tell him his "sister" is missing.  The cops aren't interested, she's over 21.  Jack and the girl that came to tell him began an investigation though he's been told to back off.  It started a bit slow but then picked up!  I suspected one of the baddies but not the other.  

Date Posted: 2/28/2016 2:59 PM ET

Mary M.C. ---- The "Violets" books sounds great, but $10.99 is over my normal Kindle price limit !!!!!  Guess I will put it on my wishlist here at PBS.

I am just thinking --- it seems I have not seen any posts from Mary P. of late.  Hopefully she is just busy with her remodelling.  Or, then again, I may just be my usual goofy self and just do not remember seeing her posts!!!

Date Posted: 2/29/2016 7:28 AM ET

Becky - Wow! I got the book for $1.99.  I just finished it and the ending brought tears to my eyes. Unfortunately, I see it's not lendable or I'd be happy to send it to you.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 2/29/2016 4:10 PM ET

Becky, I found A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers as a new book on Amazon for $5 plus shipping.

I finished 7 Grams of Lead / Keith Thomson - Becky the Once a Spy author.  Also finished A Disguise to Die For / Diane Vallere.  I found myself skipping parts since the author deemed it necessary to repeat things almost verbatim more than once.  Think about who could have done the deed more than once.  It's not a bad book just not my taste at the moment.  Oh for cozy challenge, it fits the clothing and a knife on the cover so two categories and it's in Nevada for rhe bonus.

I had my implants this morning.  I can't get over, I'm recovering nicely.  My chin feels like it's still full of Novocaine which I did not get.  I was sedated, the doctor put the IV in, I felt something warm and that was the end of that.  Next thing I knew it was let me help you to the recovery room.

Date Posted: 2/29/2016 4:16 PM ET

Good for you Geri - sounds like the implants went smoothly. I needed one tooth fixed several years ago and the oral surgeon insisted on my doing an implant. When I was told not only the price but that I would have to be on drug holiday from Nexium (which was keeping me alive at the time!) I said "no thanks". His argument was that it would last me forever so I said " I'm not going to last forever"!!! Then I got a bridge!

Date Posted: 3/1/2016 2:57 PM ET

I finished Anna Lee Huber's The Anatomist's Wife and I really enjoyed it. It is a historical mystery with a future romance built into it. Really well done and I am eager to get the next one in the series.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 3/1/2016 3:25 PM ET

Pity sake I forgot it's March!

http://www.paperbackswap.com/March-Irinn-Br-Ch/topic/306978/?t=306978&l=25&ls=

Page: