Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: May Flowers, what are you reading this month?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 5/24/2016 12:02 PM ET

I'm reading a bunch of Kindle books.  More mystery/thriller than cozy thought I do have Crowned and Moldering for bed.

Kindles: 

1. Devil's Dawn / Charlotte Raine
  2. Einsteins Secret / Irving Belateche - this is more sci-fi since it's time travel
  3. Time Heals No Wounds / Henrick Falkenberg - this involves WWII memories of the death camps
  4. Cropped to Death / Christina Fraburn - this is a pretty good cozy - Scrapbooking
  5. Murder on Old Main Street / Judith Ivie - MC is a bit older, in her 400s and I like her
  6. Black Irish / Stephen Talty - another just started
  7. Folly / Bill Noel  - just started might be more cozy

Last Edited on: 5/27/16 1:08 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
Date Posted: 5/24/2016 10:59 PM ET

Just finished a good book...The Reckoning Stones/Laura DiSilverio.  She has written 2-3 cozy series, but this is NOT a cozy!  Twenty-three years ago the MC was living in a cult-like religious community with her family.  Starting at age 14, she was sexually molested by "Pastor Matt".  When she finally told her parents, she was called a liar and punished by the "community".  She ran away and the Pastor was found beaten into a coma.  Her father confessed and was sentenced to life in prison.  She lived on the streets for 4-5 years until she met a woman who recognized her artistic talent and mentored her.  She is now a recognized jewelry designer.  When the book begins, the pastor has come out of the coma after 23 yrs.  (Rare, but not unhearad of).  She feels she must return to the community and confront him before she can really move on with her life.  She discovers her father is innocent...he only confessed because he thought she had done it.  She becomes determined to find the truth.  I got totally caught up in it.  It is a stand-alone and she has another non-cozy coming out this fall.  Will definitely look for it.

t

Date Posted: 5/25/2016 1:44 PM ET

Qiu Xiaolong (, ; born Shanghai, China, 1953) is an English language poet, crime novelist, critic, and academic, currently living in St. Louis, Missouri, with his wife Wang Lijun and daughter Julia Qiu. He originally visited the United States in 1988 to write a book about T. S. Eliot, but following the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 a newspaper reported on his previous fundraising efforts for Chinese students, and he was forced to remain in America to avoid persecution by the Communist Party of China.

He has published six crime-thriller/mystery novels set in Shanghai in the 1990s at the point when the People's Republic of China is making momentous changes. These include Death of a Red Heroine, which won the Anthony Award for best first novel in 2001, and A Loyal Character Dancer. All books feature Chief Inspector Chen Cao, a poetry-quoting cop with integrity. But the main concern in the books is modern China itself. Each book features quotes from ancient and modern poets, Confucius, insights into Chinese cuisine, architecture, history, politics, herbology and philosophy as well as criminal procedure.

I thought this was a woman author when I first heard of him. I have one of his books but haven't read it yet.

Date Posted: 5/25/2016 2:22 PM ET

I finished Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton.  It is set in the Falkland Islands which is interesting to me.  A third child has disappeared in as many years.  This just "doesn't happen" there and people are getting tense.  The police are under pressure to arrest someone.  Anyone.  Then a fourth child disappears.  There were a lot of twists and turns that kept me reading.  Though the last twist during the questioning at the police station seemed over the top and took away from the story rather than added.  But still a really good read.  Then I got to the last page and the last twist.  I absolutely did not see that coming. 

Date Posted: 5/26/2016 8:52 PM ET

Cynthia ~ glad to hear you like Lynette Easton's books.  I have a couple of them and a few more on my wish list. 

Finished the Amelia Peabody series finally.  Now on to my big pile of wish list books.  First up, 'Moss Hysteria' by Kate Collins.  Will miss Amelia, though, she is such a piece of work!  :)

Amber ~ best wishes for your recovery from surgery!

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 5/27/2016 1:10 AM ET

Charles, I've read some Qiu Xiaolong books.  One year a challenge for me included an author with an X name.  Amazing what challenges lead you to.  :)

Date Posted: 5/27/2016 9:31 AM ET

Qiu Xiaolong books....were these any good?

Can anybody recommend Benjamin Black. the Quirke series.

Last Edited on: 5/27/16 9:33 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 5/27/2016 12:09 PM ET

I've read 3-4 of the Quirke books and enjoyed them.  If you like MCs that are a bit "outside the box", you might like them.  Like Geri, I think I picked up the first one for a challenge.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 5/27/2016 3:07 PM ET

Marla, I received Heather yesterday, started to read it at 6 and I'm half way through it!  When's the next one coming?  wink

Every other book I'm readin ghas fallen to the side for the time being.

For those not into Heather Graham it's the latest Krewe of Hunters, Haunted Destiny.  Takes place on a cruise ship, tracking a serial killer.  Jackson Crow is in this one.  I know he's got two new recruits in sight.

No rain here and I'm planting flowers like crazy.  Any volunteers to help?  devil

Date Posted: 5/27/2016 3:23 PM ET

Gosh, Geri, I'd love to come help, but I have a black thumb and a bum foot.  Don't think I'd be much help.  Although if you can get that yard guy back I could at least come and supervise.   blush

Almost finished with 'Moss Hysteria.'  It is good and I think I have known from about quarter of the way through who did it.  Will see if I'm right.  Probably not.

Date Posted: 5/27/2016 3:28 PM ET

Wish I could help you out Geri. We don't do a lot of planting of flowers down here. Seems like if we get a flowering  (desert) plant to grow, it lasts forever! I do miss the planting though...

I just finished a historical mystery titled Plague by CC Humphreys. It is mainly about a serial killer who is doing his "thing" at the time of the black plague in the mid to late 1600's in London. Great read and finished this one pretty quickly. Looking forward to the next by him titled Fire. Now I'm on to The Constable's Tale by Donald Smith - not far enough into it for an opinion yet.

Date Posted: 5/27/2016 4:37 PM ET

Home again, home again jiggety jog --- for any other Mother Goose fans!!!

My trip went very well.  There were several folks travelling alone which was a nice surprise.  The bit of negative was the weather.  Had only 2 days of sun, several cloudy and the rest rain!!!  Have so many stories, but not the room to tell them.  The food on the ship was fine, not 5-star but I was not expecting such, so was happy.  Saw so many medieval castles, churches, etc.  The one thing I most wanted to see was Le Mont Saint Michel and thankfully it was a day full of clouds but no rain.  It was as amazing as I had expected, however, with the silting of the river it is no longer an island when the tide is high!!  They are working to fix that, but it will take time.

I did a bit of reading, but was mostly too exhausted at night to keep my eyes open.  Oh, also came home with a cold which thankfully only came on the very last day!!!

Date Posted: 5/27/2016 4:55 PM ET

Welcome home, Becky!!!

Date Posted: 5/27/2016 5:55 PM ET

I'm jealous, Geri!  I have the Graham book on hold at the library...hope it shows up before too much longer!

Would be glad to help plant!  I love planting flowers...just don't like watering, weeding, etc.!!  They (apt house owners) planted a bunch of petunias last week.  The hail a couple of days ago took care of that!!!  I should get ambitious and go out and cut them back...they would probably do fine then.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 5/27/2016 6:42 PM ET

Joy, I'll get you a chair and plop you under a tree with your foot up and you can hold the hose.

Jeanne, I plant in pots so you'd be all set, with Marla.  I do have petunias to plant.  Begonias were the flower of the day.  I better get to my geraniums.

Wouldn't we have fun?  Joy, Jeanne, Marla and who else wants to plant a flower?  When I've finished I'll take a picture and try to get it here to share.

Welcome back, Becky!!!

Date Posted: 5/27/2016 6:50 PM ET

Welcome back Becky. So you brought a cold home? Now that's a heck of a souvenir!!! Get well quickly.

Geri - planting your flowers would be a hoot. Great idea for Joy's part in the planting! wink

Date Posted: 5/28/2016 8:32 AM ET

I've also been pretty busy outside planting flowers and weeding beds. Also got my lily pond cleaned up and the waterfalls on and running. Our koi had babies so it'll be fun watching them grow.

I just finished:

• Murder in Morningside Heights by Victoria Thompson. I was a little disappointed with this one. Frank and Sarah just didn't seem to be as on the ball as they usually were. 
  • The Accidental Alchemist by Gigi Pandian. I wasn't sure if I'd like this one, but turned out it was really good.
  • Mint Cookie Murder, the second Merry Wrath book, by Leslie Langtry. As usual, Merry gets herself in tons of trouble while selling Girl Scout cookies. Reminds me quite a bit of the Miss Fortune series. 

And speaking of that series, I just started Fortune Hunter by Jana Deleon which I got from the library for my Kindle.

Last Edited on: 5/28/16 8:47 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 5/29/2016 8:47 AM ET

Quick pop in, no time to go back and read everything today, so hope all are well! Hopefully on my days off will have a little more time.

Just finished up At the Dying of the Year by Chris Nickson (#5 Richard Nottingham historical mystery) on the Kindle (really enjoyed this entry in the series, though it's a tear jerker!) and just starting The Whole Lie by Steve Ulfelder (#2 Conway Sax mystery), which I've had on my reading list forever, it seems like. In print, reading Blood and Honey by Graham Hurley, #6 Joe Faraday mystery...need a steady dose of those British police procedurals, and this is for one of the bonus categories in the Challenge (been on my shelf for more than a year.) In audio, I've been mostly doing fantasy/paranormal stuff, finished The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher (supposed to be steampunk, but it came off as more funky fantasy to me--still, very enjoyable!) and now on to Staked by Kevin Hearne, the 8th Iron Druid paranormal, another favorite.

Other than that, it's been work, work, work since back from vacation.

Cheryl

Date Posted: 5/29/2016 9:17 AM ET

I LOVE that picture on your avatar space, Cheryl! LOL

I also love the Chris Nickson books - am into a new series of his (Tom Harper) and they are equally good IMO.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 5/29/2016 11:52 AM ET

Great picture Cheryl! 

My reading:

1. Devil's Dawn / Charlotte Raine
  2. Einsteins Secret / Irving Belateche - this is more sci-fi since it's time travel   It did have a mystery to it and was pretty good.
  3. Time Heals No Wounds / Henrick Falkenberg - this involves WWII memories of the death camps - Whoa never even came close to the bad guy!  A little slow in parts since it was written in German and translated.
  4. Cropped to Death / Christina Fraburn - this is a pretty good cozy - Scrapbooking cozy
  5. Murder on Old Main Street / Judith Ivie - MC is a bit older, in her 40s and I like her
  6. Black Irish / Stephen Talty - another just started
  7. Folly / Bill Noel  - just started might be more cozy

Last Edited on: 5/29/16 9:02 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Date Posted: 5/29/2016 3:13 PM ET

I'm still working on trying to finish Irish Stewed. Picked it up last night and read maybe 10 pages. Need to finish so I can start Berry the Hatchery.

Date Posted: 5/29/2016 8:33 PM ET

Thanks for the info about the Tom Harper series, Jeanne...I have read the first in his Crooked Spire series and liked that, but I tried one of his modern-day mysteries (Emerald City) and didn't like it much...he definitely does best on the historicals. I will have to try the Tom Harper one next.

My grandson Clinton surprised us all by actually EATING a fair bit of his piece of birthday cake! His big brother just mushed it around but Clint ate about half the piece he was given...I thought the sprinkles stuck to his face were cute! cheeky They are growing way too fast!

Cheryl

Date Posted: 5/30/2016 8:03 PM ET

A quick hello to all.  Hope you are having a good holiday.  I have gotten a lot of reading done.  I read The Hanging Girl by Jussi Adler-Olsen.  Another excellent Dept. Q book.  And now I am caught up in that series.  Also read books 7, 8, and 9 in my Nalini Singh paranormal series and really enjoyed those.  Five books to go and I will be caught up on that series as well.  Until Book 15 comes out in mid-June.  Now I have to choose another mystery to read.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 5/31/2016 4:50 AM ET

My reading:

1. Devil's Dawn / Charlotte Raine - the second in a thriller series.  I enjoyed the first, this is a bit iffy at this point,
  2. Murder on Old Main Street / Judith Ivie - MC is a bit older, in her 40s and I like her. 
  3. Nearly Departedd in Deadwood / Ann Charles - I'd swear I've read this and yet I'm not sure.  From 2011, takes place in South Dakota for those looking for the state.  So far I see 6 books in the series.
  4. Heart of Ice / P J Parrish - An award winner that takes place on Mackinac Island and th eclose of the tourist season.  I believe it's the last of a series.
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 6/1/2016 12:01 PM ET

It's June

Topic: June is Busting Out - What are we reading?

Page: